It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Travel To The Past Impossible

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Just think what you could do if you can do it again.

soundcloud.com...

No one has done it yet.

Ya separated time from space so where the earth was is no problem.

Only way we go faster than light.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I think it would be more like watching a movie. Every particle leaves a trace. So you can back track that trace and be able to see the past, but not alter it.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Vortiki

Time travel to the past or future on the same timeline may not be possible/probable but skipping into another that is almost completely identical to our own might not be beyond the realms of possibility once we understand electromagnetism and space-time more proficiently.

That would be my thinking on the matter.
edit on 29-5-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   
There are two kinds of problems with such time travel: A) physical, and B) philosophical.

The physical problems are the same ones that plague teleportation. Unless you are going to teleport into the near-vacuum of space, you're going to have to displace all the matter at the point where you "re-materialize" in the past. Likewise, you'll leave a vacuum here, in the size and shape of your capsule or machine. There'll be a sonic boom as air rushes in to fill the vacuum you leave behind here. And displacing a bunch of atoms will likely give off a radioactive discharge...

The second is philosophical.

Is your mind just an effect, given off by arrangements of molecules in your brain? If there is any "self" connected with your brains, it had better be purely materialistic in nature. Otherwise, as a prior poster pointed out, you'll send a copy of your body back into the past, without sending "you."

IT's called a philosophical zombie.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 03:34 AM
link   
It's all so complicated!

Look, I don't want to create some big temporal time-quake or anything, I just want to go back to last Friday so I can buy a Powerball ticket.

I'll even stay in last week if it makes it help any.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 04:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vortiki
This topic was sort of an epiphany I had the other day when contemplating the mechanics behind how a time machine into the past would function.

I'm pretty sure you are actually from the future and this is an attempt to convince yourself not to make a time machine with your epiphany.

Unfortunately this will backfire and will actually be the cause of you making your time machine.
edit on 30-5-2018 by Krahzeef_Ukhar because: editing is fun

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 05:05 AM
link   
If time does not exist, then how is time dilation possible? It has been proven that someone standing on the ground, and someone flying in a jet, that time is slower for someone flying in the jet. The faster a person travels, the slower time is. Not only is it an observation but a real, physical occurrence.
I would think that this would suggest that time is a stream, and any movement goes against the stream. This stream regulates clock ticks all the way to the subatomic level. So spacetime is an accurate description of what it is.
To travel through space faster than light, you would need a wormhole, as traveling into the past or the future, you would also need a wormhole. I think once the alcubierre drive is finally created and functional, it will open up a whole new world of spacetime travel.
edit on 30-5-2018 by SeekAnswers because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 05:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: SeekAnswers
if time does not exist, then how is time dilation possible? I has been proven that someone standing on the ground, and someone flying in a jet, that time is slower for someone flying in the jet. The faster a person travels, the slower time is. Not only is it an observation but a real, physical occurrence. ...

No, this isn't correct (or minimally it's incomplete). Time isn't progressing at a different rate for the person traveling, it's progressing at the exact same rate for both. However, the relative time rate from the perspective of the stationary person is different. One second still takes one second to elapse in both time frames. Where the difference occurs is when you compare the two relative time frames. That's different.

edit on 5/30/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 09:05 AM
link   
The fact that matter cannot be destroyed or created is enough alone to suggest time travel is impossible. If you leave the "now" you have essentially removed all your matter from existence. So there would be less matter than what was started with.

When you reappear in the past, there is now more matter than there should be.

Also as i have previously stated, you cannot undo chemical reactions that change the physical make up of an object and reslease the majority of the object into energy.

See my paper to ash example. Regardless how much energy you pump into the ash created from burning paper, that ash will never again be paper.

Any time travel device to the "past" would essentially be destroying reality as we know it, and having all the particles move to a position where similar particles once were. They arent actually the same particles that were there, as those have nost likely released their physicality to energy through some various chemical process.

The only way time travel into the past would be possible, is if we are in fact inside a quantum simulation and have a method of changing the simulation without affecting ourselves. Then you could tell the simulation to set itself to a particular time state, in which it could, change whatever you want, then tell the simulation to fast forward x amount of time to see how things would have changed.

Again, this isnt true time travel, as the current of time continuea forward, just all the particles have been rearranged to mimic a state of the past.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Lord some people are slow .
If you built a time machine on earth you would not need to worry about ending up in space .

The machine is part of earth in the gravity field of it just because it can also move in time will not change that .
Same reason you dont fly off the planet .

time can be consider just one dimension of many a planet has .
Now changing gravity could cause problems with you local space .

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: midnightstar
Lord some people are slow .
If you built a time machine on earth you would not need to worry about ending up in space .

The machine is part of earth in the gravity field of it just because it can also move in time will not change that .
Same reason you dont fly off the planet .

time can be consider just one dimension of many a planet has .
Now changing gravity could cause problems with you local space .

You're the slow one. The earth is rotating at several thousand miles per hour, depending on your latitude. And going through space around the sun almost as fast. And the sun itself is hurtling through space....

If you teleport backward or forward in time, the earth will be in a different location. You'd have to project yourself backward in space as well as time. You're frame of reference is the only constant (while you are conscious) within a cosmos in constant flux.

The earth is constantly losing momentum and getting closer and closer to the sun; its orbit is decaying. You'd be traveling to the earth at a different energy-state than it is now.

Conservation of Angular Momentum

edit on 30-5-2018 by tovenar because: It's about time

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: tovenar

This was the first realization about time travel into the past I had, the spatial location of the physical planet itself. The only possible way to bypass this, is if the machine youre using to travel into the past acts as an anchor point.

At this point, you wouldnt be able to go back farther than when the machine was turned on.

That still doesnt solve what is physically going on. That being the time state of anything (yourself) in the machine would have to be preserved while the machine repositions every particle in existence to a copy of a previous time state. Thanks to Hiesenburg theory of uncertainty, you cannot know both the location AND velocity of any given particle, so this feat is already impossible before you even touch on rewinding released energy through chemical process back into the original matter.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 05:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vortiki
a reply to: crayzeed

It isnt difficult. It is impossible. You cannot rewind ash to the material that was burned into ash. Let alone reverse the state of every particle in existence to a previous state.

Even if that were possible, how do you simultainiously revert every particle in existence backwards to a previous state while keeping your own in their current state?
The answer in short, you cant.

Hmmm, if we are just here observing (Simulation theory springs to mind) If every discussion has already been made for the observer then your whole argument is void.

Imagine existence as a movie we can rewind, pause or fast forward with the press of a button.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I have thought about this many times as well. While I believe time travel to the past is not possible, it may be possible to move forward through time but no way to return to the present. Unless you were "anchored" in some way.
But then again, traveling to the future would mean that the future is already set in stone. All possibilities have already happened.
Hmmmmmm....... Maybe the old TV show Sliders wasn't so far fetched,
it wasn't about time travel but parallel universes.
Time/space/gravity- break the code rule the universe.
edit on 31-5-2018 by Quadrivium because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   
The concept of time needs to be reevaluated. The truth is there is no time nor space and everything happens all at once without cause and effect although not from our temporal point of view.

It's our senses that tell us there is time and space as we are restrained In this biological shell. Move beyond this and time travel is possible past present future because they don't really exist .

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Quadrivium

Time travel into the future is far more plausable than into the past.

If you have a machine that can travel close to the speed of light, you could leave earth for a year and come back, within two years you were gone, a couple hundred thousand would have passed on Earth by the time you got back.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Invision123

How did you come to the conclusion that time nor space exist?

I can recall yesterday and I can move to a different location.

Atoms decay and energy transfers. Proof enough of time, space is literally optically viewable by looking at somewhere that isnt where you are standing.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Vortiki

Well, not exactly, but you have the basic concept essentially correct. It would be something more like less than 100 years. I did the math once a long time ago and as I recall a journey to the nearest star system would result in a twin paradox factor of about 70 years difference.

edit on 5/31/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quadrivium
I have thought about this many times as well. While I believe time travel to the past is not possible, it may be possible to move forward through time but no way to return to the present. Unless you were "anchored" in some way.
But then again, traveling to the future would mean that the future is already set in stone. All possibilities have already happened.
Hmmmmmm....... Maybe the old TV show Sliders wasn't so far fetched,
it wasn't about time travel but parallel universes.
Time/space/gravity- break the code rule the universe.

posted on Feb, 25 2020 @ 07:31 PM
link   

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join