It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Travel To The Past Impossible

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vortiki

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Vortiki

Time is just a construct to define a dimension.

If we can move within a 3-dimensional space, then why not a fourth?

Because those locations in the 3rd dimension stay those locations. Time is instanced and once a moment has come and gone you cannot go back to it. The state of particles has changed. Their location, what they are doing and interacting with have all changed. The dimension of time is constantly in flux. The physical 3rd dimension is a fairly stable place where locations tend to stay where they are, reletively speaking.

Not true.

If you are sitting on your sofa and move to a chair in your dining room, then move back to the sofa, the sofa is actually in a different space due to the rotation of the earth and movement through the solar system.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   

You don't have to map the entire state of the universe to have somewhere to come back to. It is already baked in to the universe at a quantum level. But the universe would also present a new future, the one you left would be gone (which also prevents causality paradoxes). Similarly, you could travel to the past, but it would not be the same past you had previously experienced.

And spatial location depends upon what you are anchored to (there must be anchors, if there were none, there would be nothing to prevent us from suddenly appearing elsewhere moment by moment as time progresses). You have to consider that travel along a temporal axis would not prevent all the other physical laws from operating during the journey. You could visualize that your 3space position would be governed by the forces implicate in the series of instances through which you would travel. Just like they operate when you move forward along the temporal axis.

Steep curvature to spacetime implies at least limited time travel to the past. There are solutions to spacetime geometry compliant with known physical laws which would allow for such curvature. Even completely closed loops are possible.

edit on 28/5/2018 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Eh I believe that time travel is only possible if there is a real life version of the Infinity Stones from Marvel or by supernatural means. Otherwise I agree with you time travel isn't possible.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Thats why i said relatively speaking.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I agree with the OP. Time travel is basically impossible. The transporter on the Enterprise that Captain Kirk uses, that would also be nearly impossible to work. You can transmit Data and instructions for assembly utilizing materials at the site, but not a living being. Just a copy would be made.

Sending signals or data through time would be possible though. Again, you would need to know the new coordinates which is hard to determine with our scientific limitations.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Quantum backwards is not quantum forwards in reverse.

There is nothing static to "anchor" anything to the cosmic background. EVERYTHING is moving.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vortiki
a reply to: chr0naut

Quantum backwards is not quantum forwards in reverse.

There is nothing static to "anchor" anything to the cosmic background. EVERYTHING is moving.

I'll agree with your first sentence. Consider the example of a gas dispersing in a mixture through Brownian motion. If you place a negative before the temporal value in the equations describing the dispersal, the dispersal still proceeds only the time value is in retrograde.

I also didn't imply that the anchors are static. In a relativistic universe, the idea of something truly static is anathema.

None the less, the dynamic fields and forces present while moving forwards in time would still be present moving backwards.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   
The great physicists have long agreed that time travel to a point in time prior to the creation of the time machine itself is an illogical proposition.

However, it may be possible to travel to a time in the 'relative past'...just not relative to your own. In other words, you may be able to travel to the past of someone else, but it will always be the future for you.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I agree with the OP. Time travel is basically impossible. The transporter on the Enterprise that Captain Kirk uses, that would also be nearly impossible to work. You can transmit Data and instructions for assembly utilizing materials at the site, but not a living being. Just a copy would be made.

Sending signals or data through time would be possible though. Again, you would need to know the new coordinates which is hard to determine with our scientific limitations.

If I remember right...that is how the transporters work in star trek...they essentially make a new copy each time of whatever they're transporting.
edit on 28/5/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

I always thought Hollywood did a pretty good characterization of the realities of teleporting in the movie 'The Fly'.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Because time does not exist in the natural and scientific world. What's there to travel through?

So, time wouldn't be a problem. It'd just be a matter of finding the right state and getting to that state.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   
They just been talking abpout this on Talk Sport. Something about if the particles or something like that (I''m no scientist) can be rearranged in a certain way then time can be rearranged. The host said he met a guy in Spain who was working for an American mega industrial company and was being paid bucket loads to research into time and whether it exists as we see it. He said from research so far it is no such thing as time as being current, that time does not exist, the current place we are experiencing is just like opening a book and that is the page we are concentrating on right now, the book in the background still exists and you may open a page in that back forward or back that will be the current time we just have not found the way to selectively open the book as yet

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

Me thinks he crazy.

An electron maybe, but not a whole collection of atoms, like millions of billions of atoms which form something like a human being. I mean just think about it, it took billions of years for humans to form on Earth (religion aside for a moment). The only way for you to make a reasonable copy of yourself would require you to procreate with the opposite sex and combine your DNA resulting in offspring. This offspring is a product of millions of years of human evolution, and billions of years of evolution in general. So, conceptually speaking there is a tremendous "force" which combines all those atoms together a certain way to result in your offspring. All in a forward time direction.

Now, to put this in the context of time travel; you would have to disassemble all those atoms and transport them to another place on the same relative timeline. Where would the 'force' come from to assemble all those atoms in the same way again? Disassembly could probably be achieved (some day), but re-assembly?? I have serious doubts.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

Me thinks he crazy.

An electron maybe, but not a whole collection of atoms, like millions of billions of atoms which form something like a human being. I mean just think about it, it took billions of years for humans to form on Earth (religion aside for a moment). The only way for you to make a reasonable copy of yourself would require you to procreate with the opposite sex and combine your DNA resulting in offspring. This offspring is a product of millions of years of human evolution, and billions of years of evolution in general. So, conceptually speaking there is a tremendous "force" which combines all those atoms together a certain way to result in your offspring. All in a forward time direction.

Now, to put this in the context of time travel; you would have to disassemble all those atoms and transport them to another place on the same relative timeline. Where would the 'force' come from to assemble all those atoms in the same way again? Disassembly could probably be achieved (some day), but re-assembly?? I have serious doubts.

Yeah that sounds what he was getting at. They wouldn't let me take science at school so please understand my limited recall of the radio show, but the rebuilding in of them atoms in the perfect way would so this geezer stated make time travels possible

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Well, the actual issue with the past is that it doesn't exist anymore. The uncertainty principle / interaction quantization makes sure that there is only one time direction. And that is forward.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Masterjaden

Read up on John Titor, there's a plausible explanation of how time travel could work, by using two mini blackholes and gravity sensors.

Since space/time is a single entity, if you are manipulating one, you are manipulating the other. Look into Kerr black holes, you'll find that black holes are theorized to be toroidal (donut) shaped, which allows approach to the singularity from certain vectors without being crushed by gravity.

By using two of them and manipulating their proximity to each other and injecting electrons to up their power you could theoretically manipulate the space/time surrounding them, using the gravity sensors to ensure that any severe space shifts don't occur.

Jaden

That theory is not John Titor's
It is what is called an Einstein-Rosen bridge. Commonly called a "wormhole"
The name says it all.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 12:07 AM
link   
The essential point being, once you take a piece of paper, and put it through the chemical process of burning it, releasing energy from it and reducing its physicality to ash, you cannot rewind the energy back into the ash to recreate the original paper. That is time travel.

Anything else, is literally annihilating reality and recreating it with existing particles to mimic a state from the past.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 01:41 AM
link   

It's probably wrong but my theory (the one I like to believe) is that everything past, present, and future are all existing simultaneously and are all accessible IF you have a means of accessing them. Even personal timelines of every moment of an individuals life. I had a dream once where it was being explained to me as multidimensional or something.

I would guess that time travel would be like a save in a virtual world like the Sims. I've played families and saved at different points and now I can go back and play at the save where a Sim made a different choice and didn't die for example. Every time you access an earlier moment you create a new timeline or a Save As.

I would say it's possible but I don't know the mechanics of how to access those specific points.

But that's just my goofball take on it...

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 02:00 AM
link   

You'd also have to travel in space back to where the earth was and also where the SOLAR SYSTEM "was" back at the time you wanted to visit.

But also, if you consider multiverses, then none of that matter, because there would be a multiverse where it's the past "NOW", and "HERE"... Soooo.... Yeah.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 02:45 AM
link   

The supposition relies on reality of material realities still being there like a parallel universe and it is why I agree with you it isn't possible.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join