It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harley-Davidson cut jobs, repurchased shares after tax cut

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

What's he supposed to do, slap tariffs on imports to make them artificially expensive?

Isn't that what he did on lots of other things that you guys all said was great?

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Fewer folks think in terms of impact on local or in country markets.

The Brit bikes are also well received.

Since they are no longer making your beloved Dyna, that's another real world indication that they are missing the market. I'm looking Indian myself.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 04:30 PM
link   
dbl
edit on 22-5-2018 by JinMI because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I ain't going to say they are crap... that is a bit strong. You are paying more for paint and accessories imho.

I also feel like they haven't really evolved product wise. They keep saying they are coming out with new models when really they just change the paint colors.

Millenials seem to be more interest in standards, cafe racers, scramblers, and bobber style bikes. Even Ducati hit it out the park with their new scrambler line. BMW has scramblers and standards with that retro feel. Triumph is selling bobbers like hot cakes. The thing is... all these bikes are basically around 10-12k.

Harley has tried to offer a lower priced bike but they don't seem to have the aesthetic eye for what those consumers want imho.

The trends have changed and Harley has not kept up. Honda is selling their Dual Clutch well on their new Goldwings. BMW has up & down clutchless shifting. More power. More tech. Semi-active suspension. Lean sensitive ABS.

People also like adventure bikes. BMW GS. Ducati Multistradas.

Harley's product focus is too narrow and it is going out of style...

Even custom builders are having issues. The chopper fad died out.... Orange County Choppers Bankrupt.

But sites like Pipeburn and BikeExif are showing what people want nowadays in custom rides...

edit on 22-5-2018 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   
www.cheatsheet.com...

It’s a pattern that’s played out over and over since the tax cuts passed — companies profit, shareholders reap the benefits, and workers get left out. Corporate stock buybacks hit a record $178 billion in the first three months of 2018; average hourly earnings for American workers are up 67 cents over the past year. Harley-Davidson is an American symbol, and President Trump has trotted it out as an example of business success. But as it’s getting its tax cut, it’s outsourcing jobs and paying shareholders.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
a reply to: toysforadults

Calm down , I am Canadian and we have our own problems . Oh and at the moment its the Liberals

Are your Liberals the same as our liberals, or does it parse out differently? Just curious.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07
a reply to: schuyler

What's he supposed to do, slap tariffs on imports to make them artificially expensive?

Isn't that what he did on lots of other things that you guys all said was great?

A. I didn't say it was great and B. He didn't actually do it.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Harley's are stuck in 1981, with prices in 2020

Their business model is bad.

The rebel biker look has become tacky af. It's like "oh he's broke" when you see someone riding one, even though they probably dropped 20k on it.

Hate to say it, but they pretty much suck. I've ridden nearly everything. Their performamce shortcomings make them dangerous.

They are unreliable, 400lbs overweight, under-performing make like 50hp, but put out 120 decibles of obnoxious noise.

You can buy a ducati 1299 used for 11k, why spend 22k on a lawn mower powered 80's sled?

It sucks, Harley needs to get it together, we need all the us companies we can get.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Harley isn`t going under anytime soon,but they better start listening to their customers.Overseas sales are doing really well,Thailand plant is a bright spot for them.Those bikes are all to be sold overseas.Here in the US the electric bike will be out soon,maybe that will kick sales up some.Me,well,if they modernized a new version of the Knucklehead or shovelhead that doesn`t cost a fortune and looked like the old ones I would buy one.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Thailand will kill Harley if it goes through with it.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

As usual a great OP in bringing us this news, though bad news.

I sincerely believed and believe that Trump policies would do this and unfortunately, it seems to be coming true.

Trickle down never works. The key is wages and demand which will fuel a rising economy not giving rich people more money to play with.

That's what they do with it, play with it.

A bigger yacht

A bigger house

a Bigger golf course
edit on 22-5-2018 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Trickle down is a 1970s - 80s business model... look where that landed us.
edit on 22-5-2018 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

And not just IN the US, there name will then be Tarnished in the sight of the very motorcycle enthusiasts they aim there product at whom actually want as close to an all American motorcycle as they can like having there own little part of the American Dream.

Of course they are probably planning to expand there market into the Chinese market but in turn there market share in the west will diminish unless they aim at other than there traditional enthusiast customer base - and they they will simply not be Harley's anymore name or no name.

edit on 22-5-2018 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: rickymouse

no one can afford to buy Harley's anymore, I mean seriously how many Millennial's can afford a Harley?

Let me clue you in, not many!!!

They aren't that much different in price than other big bikes. If I was going to spend sixteen grand on a bike, I would choose a harley over some of the other types. I suppose you could get a full dresser for way more, but I wouldn't want a full dresser. I can't drive a bike anymore after the car accident, my balance is not right. I can't even ride a bicycle anymore, not that I would even want to drive a bicycle. Styles changed, the younger generation is not as interested in that kind of bike anymore, I have two friends and a brother with Harley motorcycles yet, all above fifty five years old.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Nice try! Yet again, another huge OP fail. You should do some research before you make ignorant post with the sole purpose of trying to smear Trump. Don't you ever get sick of hating? It's become rather sad to say the least.

Harley's trouble started long before Trump was ever ever elected, matter of fact most of their current issues started when Obama was in office, it has NOTHING to do with Trump. They've been in trouble for years.

Financial crisis[edit]
According to Interbrand, the value of the Harley-Davidson brand fell by 43 percent to $4.34 billion in 2009. The fall in value is believed to be connected to the 66 percent drop in the company profits in two quarters of the previous year.[99] On April 29, 2010, Harley-Davidson stated that they must cut $54 million in manufacturing costs from its production facilities in Wisconsin, and that they would explore alternative U.S. sites to accomplish this. The announcement came in the wake of a massive company-wide restructuring, which began in early 2009 and involved the closing of two factories, one distribution center, and the planned elimination of nearly 25 percent of its total workforce (around 3,500 employees). The company announced on September 14, 2010 that it would remain in Wisconsin.[100]

I've been wrenching on Hogs for 34yrs. Like any other company they have their issues but their bikes have gotten better and better over the years. I have a 15 yr old Twin Cam and have had only one problem with it, a design flaw, which they've addressed and fixed. They're as solid if not more so than any other cruiser in todays market. IMO

I will say though.... "love the bike, hate the company". Not really into the fashion boutique they've become although it has increased their revenue and helped sustain the brand.

edit on 22-5-2018 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: mtnshredder

Then you should tell your boy, trump, to stop taking credit for an economy that still is Obama’s economy.

Trump takes credit when things go good and blame others when things go bad

Just like child

You wonder who grown-ups support a grown man with the mentality of a child

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

Then you should tell your boy, trump, to stop taking credit for an economy that still is Obama’s economy.

Trump takes credit when things go good and blame others when things go bad

Just like child

You wonder who grown-ups support a grown man with the mentality of a child

First off he's not my boy, I don't worship these people (left or right) or their agendas like you do. Secondly, Obama did more damage than good, period. Both Part'y share blame for the situation we're in, Trumps at least trying to turn things around, that is when
he's not busy having to defend himself from constant superfluous rhetoric, a good example of this are most of your post. If there's anyone that reminds of childish mentality and behavior, it's the left. They've become nothing more than a group of overgrown whiny toddlers with absolutely no message besides hate. I see and read it everyday, unfortunately there's also a lot of it here on ATS. Keep up the good work!

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 07:54 PM
link   

People don’t hate Trump, shucks, I supported him when he was in the GOP primaries.

It’s the negative, evil, and nefarious things he does we hate.

The pain and misery he causes and will cause that we hate

It’s the lies, deceptions, and abusive behavior we hate

Many believe in their hearts he is an evil man, a con man, an extreme demagogue only out for himself and he is deceiving folks like yourself. He is a dark force on the planet.

Were entitled to our beliefs which can be confirmed as true based on empirical reality, Trump actions

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Talk about a total marketing Fuup. Now even HD will be rice burners.

But who cares Ivanka and Trump still have their products mfg. in Asia. MAGA

www.refinery29.com...

HD should have gone totally boutique, canned the scooter trash market and appealed to the real 1%ers.

edit on 22-5-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

People don’t hate Trump, shucks, I supported him when he was in the GOP primaries.

It’s the negative, evil, and nefarious things he does we hate.

The pain and misery he causes and will cause that we hate

It’s the lies, deceptions, and abusive behavior we hate

Many believe in their hearts he is an evil man, a con man, an extreme demagogue only out for himself and he is deceiving folks like yourself. He is a dark force on the planet.

Were entitled to our beliefs which can be confirmed as true based on empirical reality, Trump actions

IMHO, everything you just said describes the left ten fold. Do you not see all the corruption and deception of the left? It's a cancer that's deeply rooted in both sides of the political arena, although I see more of it coming from the left. I truly believe Hillary is one of the most evil and corrupt politicians ever. The rest of the left has defended her and become nothing more than a soundboard of hate that she has so self-righteously promoted. Agree with us or we will hate and kill you is the message I've taken from the current DNC. How you or anyone else can be ok with that mentality is beyond my comprehension. I've said it before and I'll say it again. The left/Dems are morally and ethically bankrupt.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join