It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Purely political, Roundhead or Cavalier? ...royal bs wedding.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 05:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: gortex
Haha got your back mate!

Looks like I would backing you 2 up...

Haha Viva la revolución!!!

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Come on royalists, defend your monarch here, tell me how I'm wrong to think it is a scandal in the 21st century that the head of state is decided by accident of birth in a single rich family.
You love your monarch so much, tell me why you love them over democracy. I can't wait to piss myself laughing reading why you wish to be a subject of the crown.
Would you have offered your wife to the Lord of the Manor back in the day as well?

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

The monarchy represents the establishment, the establishment isn’t going away and that’s why we still have a monarchy. It’s those guys in grey suits that Diana referred to that really run things.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

Agreed, it is why I am passionately against our undemocratic constitutional monarchy.
The royalists are quiet in this thread though, so far only one American who thinks we should be grateful for the tourism they apparently bring in, and one Brit who loves the Christian values while fawning over the 'cultural backbone' they believe the royal family to be.
Viva la revolución!

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Just for you, i have changed my Avatar to Cromwell's Parliamentary Flag, which i used some years ago.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Haha brilliant mate!

I learned something new as well, didn't actually know what his flag was, Viva la revolución!

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 06:52 AM
link   
People who read history, and understand most of it realise monarchy's are the glue that hold a nation to-gether, I will cite france, Germany, and Russia. Iran being an ongoing case in point, what a difference since the Shah was thrown out.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: pikestaff

Bollocks with the "people who read history..." line, I read history and I'm against a constitutional monarchy fer democracy reasons.
What's wrong with Germany and France anyway, they come 1st and 3rd respectively in EU nations by GDP. You can keep your 'glue holding the nations together' bull#, there is absolutely no justification for a 21st century nation to have its head of state decided by birthright from a single rich family.
Come on, give me a good argument explaining how Britain would fall apart if we had no head of state above the rank of Prime Minister.
You can't, because you know it's bull#.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 07:48 AM
link   
My biggest gripe with not being able to elect the head of state is this :
If they are elected, they have the right and, indeed, the duty to exercise the power of their office. They could oppose such things as the poll tax, gulf war 2, TTIP etc. Wheras our Queen, by not being elected just rubber stamps every rubbish bit of legislation sent up by parliament.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Exactly how I see it

The monarch as head of state is absolutely pointless, no power, and can only disagree with an act of Parliament once before having to abdicate or cause a constitutional crisis.
I know it will never change in my lifetime, but I'll passionately oppose the institution until I die.
Charles could be interesting though as king, he's quite outspoken so let's see if he opposes tory policies when he inherits the top job. I doubt it, and reckon he'll just do as he's told the second that crown is on his head.
So yep, with a toothless monarch I don't see the point at all, just a gravy train for an already rich family. I'd take the family out of the constitution, have an elected second chamber, and no 'head of state' because the executive runs the nation anyway.
Hereditary head of state with no power is ridiculous and undemocratic.
Bring it on royalists, defend your monarch, the institution I am attacking, love your queen, she loves you...

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 08:14 AM
link   
On a related note I'm dreading the death of the queen, not because I'll be sad (I don't know her so it would mean as much to me as Trump dying) but because it'll be a good few months of 'national mourning' before the crowning of Charles as replacement.
I can see it now, shrines of flowers and cards around town halls all over the land. Diana was bad enough, I had to pretend to give a # because so many people were caught up in this faux grief and failure to do so resulted in hostility.
It's lame, nobody knows them personally, they are the richest most powerful family firm in the country, and people are still acting like serfs bowing down to their royal masters.
If I had been in the US colonies back in the day I would have fought for independence, that is certain.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   

I would be a roundhead anti-monarchist.
I'm passionately against a constitutional monarchy form of government, I don't even think we even need a 'head of state' above Prime Minister and my ideal of an elected second chamber.
So who are all you royalists? We would have been fighting back in the day. Why do you support the Crown?

I pledged alliance to the crown but above all my country many years back.

Although I am against the fact that the Royal family own 3/4 of the UK and that much public money is spent on the royal family, they are part of our history and something that helps bring revenue in.

I have nothing against the royal family as long as they pull their weight, put in a bit of elbow grease and earn their salary or contribute to the nation.

Luckily the queen only signs bills of law and has no decisions...

I’m not a royalist but at the same time I am not a roundhead...

Just looking after my own loved ones first keeps me happy.

Warmest respects

Lags

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

Star for being a slippery worded bastard haha!

I also signed allegiance to the Crown in a previous life, Kind of had to, like turning up on a site with no safety boots, no work otherwise.
I'm with you on looking after my own loved ones, but come on man, if we had a civil war today you'd have to choose because sitting on the fence both sides would distrust you. I'll always go with the wishes of the people, and that said, curiously, if say the government became tyrannical and new King Charles was passionately for the people then I'd fight for the king and people.
Now that is an oxymoron in my life outlook isn't it?!
...I would def been a roundhead back in the day though, that Charles was a right #.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   

a reply to: Lagomorphe

Star for being a slippery worded bastard haha!

I also signed allegiance to the Crown in a previous life, Kind of had to, like turning up on a site with no safety boots, no work otherwise.
I'm with you on looking after my own loved ones, but come on man, if we had a civil war today you'd have to choose because sitting on the fence both sides would distrust you. I'll always go with the wishes of the people, and that said, curiously, if say the government became tyrannical and new King Charles was passionately for the people then I'd fight for the king and people.
Now that is an oxymoron in my life outlook isn't it?!
...I would def been a roundhead back in the day though, that Charles was a right #.

Hehe...

I’m neutral mate... why do you think I’m living in France?

However, if my land of birth was directly attacked including ALL citizens by a foreign entity I would defend all and any citizen of my land of birth until my last breath.

If there was an internal civil uprising against the monarchy I don’t want anything to do with it as I am no longer in the UK and have my own family and kids to care about over here.

I’m happy living it up in France chomping snails and frogs and sloshing humongous amounts of Cabernet down my neck for the moment.

Warmest respects

Lags

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lagomorphe
If there was an internal civil uprising against the monarchy I don’t want anything to do with it as I am no longer in the UK and have my own family and kids to care about over here.

France is a good place to find fences to sit on

I totally understand though, you can keep your snails and frogs legs but I'll take you up on your wine one day for sure...I also love that you'd # France off to defend your homeland in a heartbeat, you can take the man out of Britain but you can't take Britain out of the man.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 04:06 AM
link   

I can tolerate the royal family. But they need to be put in there place........

For example only allowed to use the NHS and state school system ect

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Only because the Royalists have the best hats.

For King and country!.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 05:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting
Only because the Royalists have the best hats.

For King and country!.

I only have a red coat

Still its a full generals uniform.

I wanted to wear it on my trip to the states but the fiancee would not let me

I even had little union jack flags that I was going to plant in random places!
edit on 21-5-2018 by spingersbane because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: spingersbane

A few of us could do that and invade.
I reckon the EU first like though.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 06:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting
a reply to: spingersbane

A few of us could do that and invade.
I reckon the EU first like though.

We do need to reclaim Normandy, Brittany and Calai! They are by rights ours