It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Revenge of the Nerds and School Shootings

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on May, 18 2018 @ 11:18 PM
link   
One thing that seems to be glossed over in all these school shootings with the focus on guns is that the perpetrators almost always seem to be social misfits who were bullied.

There doesn't seem to be much emphasis on stopping bullying.

This is not to excuse any of these nut bags from their crimes, but what responsibility do the students have in these cases?

Bullies have been around forever, so it isn't like being bullied is a new thing. One of the best horror movies Carrie is essentially about a girl exacting revenge on her tormentors at high school prom. Instead of blasting them away with a assault rifle she did other things at the prom.

I think what is different now is that Columbine put into the minds that this was an acceptable form of revenge. Second, video games have popularized first person shooters. Third, incessant media coverage and social media seems to encourage copy cat shooters.

Just some random thoughts. Let's discuss and debate without talking about gun control, but the OTHER issues.

+15 more 
posted on May, 18 2018 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Another contributing factor IMO is the proliferation of mind altering medications being prescribed to younger and younger ages for "syndromes" that were non-existent 20-30 years ago. This has made the pharmaceutical industries BILLIONS of dollars.

But, at what cost to the youth?

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 11:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa
Another contributing factor IMO is the proliferation of mind altering medications being prescribed to younger and younger ages for "syndromes" that were non-existent 20-30 years ago. This has made the pharmaceutical industries BILLIONS of dollars.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 11:32 PM
link   
at somepoint we need smaller local control.....of the schools

I see smaller schools as less intimidating to a young one....get smaller classes...23 students max....howabout that

om this subject there are lots of possibilities...but don't just go friggin bigger
edit on 18-5-2018 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Yes it's a two-way street.

1) deal with the bullies and teach them that there are positive outlets which to channel

2) deal with the victims and teach them there are positive outlets which to channel

But what the hell do I know about anything

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 11:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Whoisjohngalt

originally posted by: Krakatoa

Yeah, I'd be curious how many are medicated. Of course, the big question is if the medication is a causal factor or if those who shoot are more likely to be medicated for other reasons. Chicken or egg.

Back to bullying, I recall being bullied and even bullying in school. It just seemed part of growing up to me. Are kids just weaker these days?

We had some straight up weirdos when I was in school. We used to joke about them growing up to be serial killers, but no one ever could conceive that they'd shoot up a school.

I don't like bullying. I'll never forget this girl in my class who was bullied when I was in middle school. I recall one day the entire class was just going in on this girl. She wasn't attractive and was kind of slow mentally. Anyway, I remember while the class was laughing and giggling (teacher had left room for something), I looked over at the girl while she was on the verge of tears. She looked back at me... and it was like she was looking into my soul. The pain and hurt on that girls face was unreal. From that point on, I made a conscious effort to not maliciously bully other kids.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 11:39 PM
link   
The little snowflakes that get bullied and can't take it. Lock em up and throw away the key. Who needs em!

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 11:40 PM
link   

I think you bring up some good points, though I do not think video games have much, if anything, to do with it.

We also have to address the gun culture in the US. It's become out-of-hand, in my opinion.

While I think we can agree that we have a 2nd amendment right and that right needs to be protected, we have many people in this country that have become part of a twisted culture in which the 2nd amendment right is more than just a right. It is a means to an end. It a solution for what they think is wrong with this country.

This site is a great example. Look how many people openly discuss and fantasize about a civil war in which they get to use their firearms against those they see as enemies.

Look how the NRA and the politicians play-off of that for their own goals.

That is another area we need to look at. Gun culture has gone completely nutty in this country and it may just have an affect of people.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Some of the issue is in the minds of these kids.

Why are American kids resorting to shooting up schools yet in other western countries with similar lifestyles they are not...

Is it chemicals in foods or maybe how kids are bought up, something in the water.... Who knows, one thing is for certain whatever the cause it really needs to have a solution found sooner than later.

The only big difference between American kids and kids in other western countries is the easy access to.... Guns...
edit on 18-5-2018 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

I think you bring up some good points, though I do not think video games have much, if anything, to do with it.

We also have to address the gun culture in the US. It's become out-of-hand, in my opinion.

While I think we can agree that we have a 2nd amendment right and that right needs to be protected, we have many people in this country that have become part of a twisted culture in which the 2nd amendment right is more than just a right. It is a means to an end. It a solution for what they think is wrong with this country.

This site is a great example. Look how many people openly discuss and fantasize about a civil war in which they get to use their firearms against those they see as enemies.

That is another area we need to look at. Gun culture has gone completely nutty in this country and it may just have an affect of people.

I think you don't believe video games have anything to do with it because you probably like video games. I love video games. I love my FPS games and gratuitous violence. However, I can see how these games could desensitize someone who is already unstable.

I find it interesting that you believe a gun culture is a contributing factor but willing to excuse an extension of that culture which is in video games.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying we should ban video games or anything like that. However, I am saying I can see how hyper realistic video games could be a factor in encouraging a nut job to engage in a mass shooting. Of course, we are talking about a very small subset of the population, but I don't think we can ignore it as a variable.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 11:48 PM
link   

other countries don't have bullies or dont play fps shooters?

in what parallel universe where statistically the country with the most guns in the world per capita (citizens), the worlds biggest arms and ammunition seller, wont have the highest homicide rate by guns in the world....?

in what statistical probability would the above be wrong?

our maths and sciences and all things holy wont allow this fact to be the inverse of our society today.

bullying is part of the problem, not the reason.
edit on 18-5-2018 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on May, 18 2018 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Regarding bullying.

You are right it's not new, but technology today is. In my day a little name calling, few people involved done.

But today bullies use social media to destroy people socially to the point it breaks people.

Imagine being a kid and having malicious lies, beatings and torments at school, and then having it put all over social media for everyone locally and globally to see. Mix that with teenage emotions i cant even imagine... so yes to a degree bullies hold responsibility
edit on 18-5-2018 by Ghostsinthefog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Maybe if the kids were huge *ATS Edits*.

Stop calling everything bullying, stop making everyone a victim. Don’t invite everyone in your class to a party: bullying. Use the term ‘best friend’ bullying the people who you left out.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY

I see your point. How ever my graduating class was just over 1200 students in 2005 and the population has grown since then.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghostsinthefog
Regarding bullying.

You are right it's not new, but technology today isn't. In my day a little name calling, few people involved done.

But today bullies use social media to destroy people socially to the point it breaks people.

Imagine being a kid and having malicious lies, beatings and torments at school, and then having it put all over social media for everyone locally and globally to see. Mix that with teenage emotions i cant even imagine... so yes to a degree bullies hold responsibility

Good point. I meant to delve into that further. The social media aspect is troubling. When I was in school, you might get embarrassed in front of a class or the kids on a school bus, at worst in the cafeteria... no pictures or videos. However, facebook, etc has opened up an entirely different level of social embarrassment.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 11:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

other countries don't have bullies or dont play fps shooters?

in what parallel universe where statistically the country with the most guns in the world per capita (citizens), the worlds biggest arms and ammunition seller, wont have the highest homicide rate by guns in the world....?

in what statistical probability would the above be wrong?

our maths and sciences and all things holy wont allow this fact to be the inverse of our society today.

bullying is part of the problem, not the reason.

I really don't want to go down guns as the major problem road. It has been argued to death on other threads and I doubt anyone's mind will be changed.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 12:01 AM
link   

To be fair, the citizens ability to overthrow a tyrannical government via arms WAS the exact reason the founders put it in the constitution. Now i dont think we are close to that, but 1925 Germany seemed pretty decent too, but 10 years later they were starting to gather people for the ovens. So who knows whats in store.
If you wanna debate the relevance of the second amendment in 2018, okay, but made no mistake of WHY it was put there.

link   
a reply to: Somethingsamiss

dude...I thougt 525 at Mac Arthur-Irving.......was big......hallways packed at yours?

link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

I think you don't believe video games have anything to do with it because you probably like video games. I love video games. I love my FPS games and gratuitous violence. However, I can see how these games could desensitize someone who is already unstable.

I find it interesting that you believe a gun culture is a contributing factor but willing to excuse an extension of that culture which is in video games.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying we should ban video games or anything like that. However, I am saying I can see how hyper realistic video games could be a factor in encouraging a nut job to engage in a mass shooting. Of course, we are talking about a very small subset of the population, but I don't think we can ignore it as a variable.

Also, what goes along with the hyper-realistic games of today is the communication features that were not available even 10 years ago. And, that communication now is typically snarky and vile rhetoric (i.e. trash talk) that seems to get worse and more personal by the day.

Alone, this would not really be an issue, but combine that with:

- The acceptable levels of unnatural violence in movies and TV (while natural nudity is considered taboo)
- The younger taking SSRI mind altering meds
- The breakdown of the family unit
- The rejection of religious morals (none in particular here, just the idea of "treat people nice" common value)
- The "zero tolerance" approach to all things resulting in no personal 1:1 assessment and punishment of any incident
- The increased frequency of 24/7 bullying using electronic devices
- The youth have been convinced they need to be connected 24/7 or they are nothing and will miss out on life
- The rise and proliferation of social media platforms
- The "instant" gratification culture of today (patience is dead)
- The need for both parents to work to make ends meet
- The "everyone is special" and "everyone is a winner" social experiment foisted upon our culture by the social psychologists pushing their next book or lecture series (for the $$)

Each of these alone are surmountable and easily handled. However, being putting each of these straw on the shoulders of the youth and eventually one of their minds will break.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Exactly.

Phones today with a click of a button. Potential for thousands of kids seeing your embarrassment... when you are at your most vulnerable.

I remember people who filmed a teen asking a girl out. She rejected him brutally in a humiliating fashion. The video was uploaded and passed around.

Could you imagine

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join