It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandela Effect - There's Something Wrong, Can You Hear Me Major Tom?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 10:23 PM
link   
The last verse..clearly "floating" is a lyric

Though I'm past one hundred thousand miles I'm feeling very still And I think my spaceship knows which way to go Tell my wife I love her very much she knows Ground Control to Major Tom Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong Can you hear me, Major Tom? Can you hear me, Major Tom? Can you hear me, Major Tom? Can you "Here am I floating 'round my tin can Far above the moon Planet Earth is blue And there's nothing I can do"

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

np - copy pasta:

"You could contend that sometimes he sang "floating" and sometimes "sitting" - but in every live version he sings "my tin can", not "a tin can" - just like the radio version used to be.

Weird huh? The official lyrics state it should be "sitting in a tin can".. (the chorus repeats, on the second he sings "my" - the first chorus used to be the same as the second - we're talking about the first, the examples with time stamps are the first)."

I suppose I could of been clearer - but my focus is on the first chorus. That used to be the same as the second - 'floating in my tin can'.

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 11:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
The last verse..clearly "floating" is a lyric

a reply to: vonclod

Clearly.

I think we've established that from the very first post.

..and in many posts thereafter.

You may not understand the concept behind the Mandela Effect - which is cool, I can see that happening. If you think you'd benefit from a "What Is The Mandela Effect" thread, please let me know.

It is a little strange that out of 62 replies - I think only 3 people seem to understand what the thread is about.

We know the lyrics - we've seen the videos, we're contending the first chorus said "floating in my tin can" in the radio version and now it doesn't. Google reflects that obviously. Yes, the thought is outlandish - but the memory persists.

I'm starting to think I need to lower the reading comprehension level a little - not that folks can't understand it - but it may be a case of 'words get in the way'.

So peace out brah - I'm totts tired yo, time for bed - c u l8tr

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Pearj

And the rest of the world is contending that it never did.

There is no need for a "What is the Mandela effect?" thread, because all it is is people hiding faulty recall behind a veneer of over-indulgent self-importance.

If every time you thought "Hmm...strange", you did just did a tiny tiny bit research you would save everyone a lot of time.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Mandela effect = faulty memory..end of story brah, short and simple so as most anyone can get it.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 01:08 AM
link   
FM or AM radio?

LP or 45 single version?

Not a lot of digital play back then.

What I'm saying is, they recorded 2 versions essentially.

Different arrangements on a LP for instance opposed to a quicky Am radio release.

And depends what you listened to it on, car radio or home stereo on head phones.

I notice a difference/mandela with Everlasting Love. Carl Carlton or Love Affair?

2 different bands but still doesn't explain the choir chorus I remember.

Opposed to

LOL! Still comes up short to what I remember.

Long time ago.

Chalk it up to old age. Now where's my car keys?

edit on 5 7 2018 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Original UK Stereo version 7" 45rpm EP single 1969:

"For here am I sitting in a tin can" followed by "Here am I floating round my tin can"

1972 UK re-release 12" LP version of the self titled album:

"For here am I sitting in a tin can" followed by "Here am I floating round my tin can"

No difference in lyrics

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And better yet. I just checked my dad's original UK 7" 45rpm EP single version and his original UK 12" LP pressing

The result = It's always the same lyrics. Exactly as I myself remember and as he remembers. Whether it's an analog recording or a digital. Original pressing or re-release, anniversary or otherwise.

The other day I also asked my dad out of the blue with no warning the difference between those two lines and he replied on point, to the T.

Now he might sing the lyrics differently live. That's simply just common with artists.

Good example, no the best example of that is Bob Dylan. He has got some of the most complex lyrics out there and as good as he is at remembering them word for word, even he slips up sometimes in memory and/or simply alters them on the spot during live performances.

For me, this is just a misconception because the second line "floating" sounds smoother and more "lyrical" and is easier to remember.
ETA: It's also around the climax of the song 2:3 ratio, the 66.666...% out of 100% and we tend to remember those parts best along with the beginning and end.
edit on 7/5/18 by Sump3 because: Additional info.

edit on 7/5/18 by Sump3 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: OneBigMonkeyToo

And the rest of the world is contending that it never did.

There is no need for a "What is the Mandela effect?" thread, because all it is is people hiding faulty recall behind a veneer of over-indulgent self-importance.

If every time you thought "Hmm...strange", you did just did a tiny tiny bit research you would save everyone a lot of time.

This case is clearly not Mandela Effect but something more akin to Vuja De -

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

Unfortunately, all Mandela arguments boil down to 'your memory is bad and you're stupid.'

No. It boils down to "Human memory (for all humans) is a complicated thing, NOT a tape recorder of actual events, and is thus not infallible."

Memories are not just a single little fact sitting in one brain cell. When the brain stores a memory, it spreads it out through many parts of the brain (such as the parts for sound, sight, smells, etc.) and associates that memory with existing memories....

...i.e., the brain craves familiarity, and tries very hard to associate new memories with old memories. It is thought that sometimes those shared associations between memories become blurred, and false memories are created, even ones that feel very real to us.

So, it is completely normal human behavior to have our brains to provide us with false memories.

False memories have nothing at all with being stupid and everything to do with being normal.

edit on 8/5/2018 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pearj

originally posted by: Raggedyman
So many artists can't remember the words from their own songs they don't sing them live
They are just people with memories that fade
Yes bad memory of the artists and those who listen

Love it..

"artists can't remember the words from their own songs"

lmao.. ..right - keep telling yourself that.

Classic. I suppose you have a bad memory, and remember it like we do too?

I'm surprised anything gets done in this world - drivers can't remember how to drive.. pilots can't remember how to pilot.. teachers can't remember what to teach - painters sometimes forget how to paint - and major artists can't remember their own words...

With that said, I have to go ...uhhm, do.. ..something? I thought I did - maybe - who knows? Dang it memory!

Check out Al Jourgensen on Ministry's latest tour.
He now uses a lyrics book that he keeps referencing throughout the performance.
Cos, y'know, he can't remember his own lyrics.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   

a reply to: surfer_soul

Yep - exactly... I lean heavy into that world - as Al and Trent put it; a "Supernaut".
That's the 1000 Homo DJs version..

Al f*#king Jourgensen put it on his own record without Trent's voice here:
Funny that album cover shows JFK in the limo with a target on his head - just can't see the whole car (used to be a 4 seater, now it's a 6 seater).

The next time you're "inclined" - give this a listen. It's about "The Waiting Room" - the area right before total immersion.

Somehow, listening to / watching that while 'in deep' with Diametric Mojo Transference is beyond entertaining..

Got to see Fugazi and NIN live in KC, and Ministry live in Denver, Peter Murphy in SLC, etc - very blessed.

-----

I am a patient boy
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait
My time's water down the drain.
Everybody's moving, everybody's moving
Please don't leave me to remain
..in the Waiting Room

I know what I'm doin' tonight lol

Wow that's weird.
Didn't see this post till after I posted my above post.

Trippy...

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61
Here's the original U.S. single
1st verse "sitting' , last verse "floating" same as always

What do I win?

You win a lesson about The Mandela Effect!

The Mandela Effect (ME) is where the 'current reality' doesn't match a large group of people's memory, whom all remember the same exact thing independently, and strongly infer such.

May I ask which large group (and what definition of large) you have asked that think this song in particular is different?

I did not think the ME had a definition with such criteria, soon the ME will be about the definition of the ME

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Funny that album cover shows JFK in the limo with a target on his head - just can't see the whole car (used to be a 4 seater, now it's a 6 seater).

Nope, never was a 4 seater

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Sticking with Ministry's Filth Pig, on the first chorus of that song Al Jourgensen sings "I sleep with both eyes open"
On the second chorus he sings "He sleeps with both eyes open".

As you are clearly a Ministry fan, as you know of 1000 Home DJs, which line is the original one?
Which ONE do you remember being the one sang?
edit on 8 5 1818 by Ruiner1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   

a reply to: surfer_soul

Where was John Connelly and his wife supposedly sitting if it was a four-seat car? Connelly and his wife were in the middle row behind the driver and secret service agent, who were in the first row.

You are confusing the real car with the car used in a re-enactment video. I don't know why they didn't use a limo with three rows of seating (6 seats) for the reenactment video, but the point is they didn't, and that reenactment video has been seen by enough people that the 4-seat car used for that is mis-remembered as being the actual 6-seat car used by the President that day.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Btw, I remember him singing "He sleeps alright cos he's a Filth Pig".

So, where the hell am I from???

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Check out the first track of this brilliant performance of Årabrot.

Now, I don't remember that long drawn out instrumental section after the first verse on the studio recording.

What IS going on here?!

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   

And while we're on the subject of Årabrot, I remember this track being called "It's Hot / Toss It" not "It's Hot, Drop It".
I also remember it sounding completely different. More Metal sounding and a less polished production.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm at a complete loss of a rational explanation!

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   

You also mentioned Trent Reznor.

I don't remember the end of this track sounding like this.

It's almost as if there's an extra section tacked on after I remember the way the track ends.

High strangeness!

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   

A collection of Nirvana songs have inexplicably changed now too!
Not how I remember these tracks at all!

I remember Nirvana's live shows being a much heavier affair!

I'm flabbergasted!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join