It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

From someone who thinks the Mandela Effect is thee biggest crock, for the first time i am at a loss

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: AlexandrosTheGreat
I hate the Mandela effect and I can't believe I am posting this forever tying myself to the subject. It brings so,much negative attention to conspiracy theory as a whole and what I really don't get is the willingness of the people who buy into it to ignore common sense. I mean, back in about 2003 or so I wrote a paper in college talking about how I hypothesized the exact thing would happen but I explained all of the different ways it would happen and it had nothing to do with alternate universes or metaphysics. For example copyright could cause people to slightly change a line before feeding it through the culture as a commonly repeated phrase. Magic mirror on the wall sounds wrong because Disney didn't release snow white onto home video except for a few controlled and limited timeframe meaning for a while, the only way you could have seen Walt Disney's snow White was if you went to the theaters in the 30s during the original run or during a 50s, 70s, or 80s rerelease meaning for most adults over 30, unless you went to see Snow White in theaters multiple times and decades apart, you had probably only seen it once meaning your memories of the story etched into your head come from the grimm brothers version in which the line IS, "mirror mirror on the wall..."

I guess I should follow my own paper and I can assume that this one is a simple fault of shoddy memory. But I can just hear the damsel in distress calling out for her love and hitting the bad guy with fists shouting his name. So I ask you...

What is the name of the big tough man who wears a sailor cap too and kidnaps Olive Oyle while Popeye and Wimpy track him down before knocking him out?

If you said, "aw shucks that's easy, his name is BRUNO," then you are wrong.

His name is Bluto.

Am I the only one who finds this a so called Mandela effect that I just can't be satisfied in saying, well I guess my memory aint all that," or do you feel that way too?

Are any other ones just too much to accept the logical explanation for cuz I have heard em all and I can reconcile with each being my memory's fault or some other logical explanation, many of which I knew wed begin seeing back in 2003!

Imma go with your memory. Never heard of Bruno. I've watched a lot of Popeye cartoons.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I always find it so curious that topics like the Mandela effect can elicit such.. visceral reactions. It seems like the very possibility that someone doesn't know, or can't explain everything, is horrible, wretched anathema.

Mandela effect could be a big old psyop, or the result of a real phenomenon that only becomes known through the effects of modern communication technology. Or, a psyop riding on the coat tails of a real phenomenon (since the advent of religion, this has been happening).

Well, anyway, I've always remembered it as Bluto. Its a name that really stuck, because of its oddity.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

Probably because it is always such a load of bollox.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: spacedoubt

Ding ding ding ding!!! Always Brutus b/c I thought of a Roman emporer when they said it.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
a reply to: AlexandrosTheGreat

Tuco The Rat

Just kidding. Bluto.

That's weird I remembered his name as Eli, or was it Juan.... mischeif seems to be afoot here!

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   

I would not let it get to me if i could avoid it.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

Great, so why bother with the topic?

I mean, I know we like to act as though we've seen, and know everything, especially as we age.. and that is the whole basis behind the importance of science. Of course, most will verbally admit they don't know everything, then will act quite contradictory to the proclamation.

If something "strange" is actually happening, we wouldn't really even know where to begin identifying, explaining, and exploring it. Much less be able to identify when said mechanisms are, or are not occurring.

This is a pretty wild and wacky place. Our attempts to make sense of it don't change that, regardless of internal consistency. I'd say that scientific method based thinking is even more critical than the process, and in that, we must first admit ignorance.

Why else would we explore any frontiers at all?

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Bluto!

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   
always been Bluto.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Always known him as Bluto. Never Bruno.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: HummaKavula

Bluto's names was changed to Brutus...

"After the theatrical Popeye cartoon series ceased production in 1957, Bluto's name was changed to Brutus because it was incorrectly believed that Paramount Pictures, distributors of the Fleischer Studios (later Famous Studios) cartoons, owned the rights to the name "Bluto"." - wiki

So easy to find this information... millennials have no idea how good they have it. At no point in history has humankind had access to the knowledge that they currently do... Yet people are still ignorant.
edit on 1-5-2018 by Blarneystoner because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: AlexandrosTheGreat

His name is Bluto.

I'm 58 and he has always been Bluto to me...

edit on 1-5-2018 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   

i remember that character going through two name changes.

brutus
bluto

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   

As soon as you asked the question my mind said bluto.

I loved popeye cartoons when I was a kid and always thought that was a weird name.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   
There's a Mandela effect happening right before our eyes anyone notice Hubcaps are disappearing and turning into rims ?

Brutus .
edit on 5/1/2018 by Gargoyle91 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Lol..

Mandela Effect = bad memory

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 07:40 PM
link   

s+f

I was skeptical too - South America being so far East is what did it for me.

I remember his name being "Brutus" - but I didn't watch a bunch.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I only remember him as Bluto, never heard of Brutus or Bruno

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Reverbs

I have to agree with you on Jupiter Rising. I remember seeing the trailer on the internet, and I thought it would be a good movie to watch. I was actually quite excited about it. It was due to come out in a few months or so. A few moths later; I was searching the net looking for movies to watch, and I remembered Jupiter Rising, so I searched for it and couldn't find it. I kept on searching until I found Jupiter Ascending. I was so confused; because I had kept that name in my head in order to see it when it came out. I even commented on it to my Wife, saying that this was wrong, and it can't be the same movie. But when I saw the trailer of Jupiter Ascending, I saw that it was the same movie.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   

I think you'll find the consistent thing with all Mandela Effects is that what you remember tends to be the easier thing to remember.

Bluto is a weird name, Bruno is common (others chose Brutus).
Your mind just chose the easier path.

Names ending in Stain are weird, names ending in stein are common.

That's the cliffnotes version.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join