It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This crap inspires people?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 06:36 AM
link   
After seeing this piece of drek, and hating it, I thought maybe I've just become an old grouch.
Then I realized I'm right. It IS crap. Too late. It's already trending. The kind of trending crap that goes viral, polluting the internet and Infecting email inboxes. God, I'd rather see lolcats.

Now here's what's really sad. This thing is being described as "mystical" and "spiritual".
It's a headline on Gizmodo, with the writer saying: "This surreal inspirational cartoon will have you ready to face anything." She goes on to say: "With stick figures and unrivaled panache, Wurtz produces some of the best silly animation the internet has to offer." (The creator of this vapid waste of 2 minutes is Bill Wurtz, who changed his name to bill wurtz. Apparently, lower-case spelling of your name is cool or stylish.)

Lord, the average Burger King jingle has more panache. If this crap inspires you, you need help. The YouTube comments are utterly nauseating. People saying their lives were changed by this thing!! They're actually discussing how "deep" it is!

For once I'd like to see something intelligent trending. To paraphrase Franz Kafka: "I’d rather strive for excellence and fail than be content with mediocrity." But this thing isn't even mediocre. It's the embodiment of banal.

Here, prepare to have your life changed:

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Um. I’m not seeing it either.

Maybe it’s for kids?
edit on 30-4-2018 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Perhaps an intro for a new cartoon. Beyond that about as useful as tits on a lizard. Agreed, FAIL......

link   
I am completely serious when I say that if your feelings are so fragile that this makes you feel better and inspires you on how to deal with life, you should just f***ing stay home and hide under a blanket.

This is not a snowflake, this is a damn glacier.
edit on 30-4-2018 by DAVID64 because: this edit thing has reached epidemic proportions here folks.

link   
Pass me that jar of dumb-ass and a rusty razor-blade.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Lol it's definitely some what cringey, probably is aimed at kids though.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
Pass me that jar of dumb-ass and a rusty razor-blade. I am inspired to go to sleep and never wake up.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I made it 25 seconds in. So... this is what has replaced actual art.

You aren't grumpy. It's CRAP. Fresh from the bowl crap.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
I am completely serious when I say that if your feelings are so fragile that this makes you feel better and inspires you on how to deal with life, you should just f***ing stay home and hide under a blanket.

This is not a snowflake, this is a damn glacier.

A lot of people's feelings ARE that fragile. It's... frightening and sad.

link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

Yes, I made it for 1 minute and 1 second and realized the day goes on and on and on and on..........a revelation it is not !

link   

originally posted by: wylekat

A heaping helping.
Kick your shoes off.
Stay a while.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

...about as useful as tits on a lizard.

LOL...I like that one!

I'm stealin' it!

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: wylekat

Exactly. Art has been replaced by "content".
It's content. That buzzword has moved beyond YouTube and is now infecting educational institutions, companies, and society. More and more you'll hear people say that they're "content creators."
Good Lord, what does that even mean?

They're not artists or writers or illustrators any more. I guess even if what someone produces is total crap, it's somehow OK if it's labeled "content". It really has become that bad. A friend told me the company he works for has hired marketing people that "brainstorm" about creating "content that will trend" on Twitter and other social media, and bring attention to the company. They never discuss actually providing quality products or service.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 08:02 AM
link   

*sigh* I used to do art, make an occasional video (stop motion), I do photography.

I had an Imgur account to showcase some of my stuff. When I was hitting *NEGATIVE* feedback, I just stopped making it public. I'll throw an occasional thing on here, but for the general viewing public? They wouldn't know quality if it slapped them in the face and p!issed down their shoe. But let me go take a pic of a half naked teen, and boy them ratings would have gone up.

I'm expecting the day where flinging one's feces like a common chimp will be considered the high point of art and culture.

Here's one example (and then I promise I'll shut up and stop complaining:roll
of an experiment I did on a comic book club on Facebook. Someone took the 60s Spiderman cartoon theme (it's on youtube), and did a parody of it- Lyrics of the song. I think it was with Superman or someone. Others joined in on the fun. I decided to test a theory. I went full simple, stupid, and childish:

HULK SMASH!
HULK SMASH!
HULK SMASH SMASH SMASH SMASH SMASH SMASH!
HULK SMASH!
HULK SMASH!
SMASH SMASH SMASH SMASH SMASH SMASH SMASH!
HUUULK! HULK SMASH SMASH SMASH!

It was an immediate *hit*. Someone was even *jealous* of my supposed 'genius'. I realized right at that point, Society was doomed, doomed, double doomed.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Cry closet music.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: wylekat

Thanks for the comment. This issue brings to mind a couple of quotes that sum it all up.

There is always a heavy demand for fresh mediocrity. In every generation the least cultivated taste has the largest appetite. ---Paul Gauguin

The dumbest buy the mostest. ---Jello Biafra of the Dead Kennedys

Talent instantly recognizes genius. Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself. ---Arthur Conan Doyle

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

I don't know about that. It certainly seems to have inspired quite a few posters to get on their soapboxes and start feeling superior to the artist in question. So I guess it's working in a way, eh?

ETA: I see it like the "villain" that plays the big evil role specifically to force humanity to unite against him/her. After all, some people don't get motivated by nice cuddly things and thoughts of unity; they need something to look down on or something to fearmonger about in order to get properly motivated. So I'm interpreting everyone's reactions to mean that this artist is deliberately pissing off these types of people to get them out of their potential slumps. Like an anti-hero/anti-artist of sorts.
edit on 30-4-2018 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

the artist in question

Referring to the creator of that cartoon as an artist is an insult to real artists.

So I'm interpreting everyone's reactions to mean that this artist is deliberately pissing off these types of people to get them out of their potential slumps.

I don't think that's the case. I think he's producing garbage, and stupid people are thinking it's quality content.
Ergo, the negative posts on this thread are valid.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   

1. Art is subjective and completely in the eye of the beholder. What you consider "real art" has no bearing on what others consider "real art", and vice versa.

2. So you've never dealt with a troll before? Their whole "job" is to provoke negative reactions out of people. Why is it so unbelievable that this person is intentionally making overly simplified stuff that can both inspire some people in a positive way while inspiring others in a negative way?

ETA: Wouldn't that potential double meaning make his art even more artistic? I probably sound like I'm being combative for no reason, but this is actually an entirely legit aspect of art. People intentionally interpret and overthink art in order to figure out the artist's true intentions, ulterior motives, inside jokes, etc. Strictly taking a piece of art at its surface is kind of regarded as "noobish", whether that art is a painting, a sculpture, a poem, a play, or a song that seems intended for a corny TV show meant for kid. Otherwise, you can go into an art gallery, glance at everything for a few seconds, and then walk out. It's the speculation and attempts to figure out it's deeper, "true" meanings that give the work of art its meaning in the first place.

For example, the Mona Lisa is kind of "meh" if you only glimpse at the image itself. It's the backstory; surface its painted on; history of thefts and attempted thefts; reputation of its painter & mystery of who was painted; the subject's proud demeanor mixed with the commoner's lack of jewelry & "high class accessories" as if the commoner was defiantly smirking at the high class norms of the aristocratic norms of her times; etc that make it so tantalizing. It's all of those extra and completely irrelevant speculations and observations that elevate a piece of art into "real art".

edit on 30-4-2018 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Yeah, I got more spiritual and mystical inspiration from Schoolhouse Rock. Really, seriously.

Speaks volumes to where this culture is. I remember, about 8 years ago, a twenty-something year old woman getting all teary-eyed over how much a Miley Cyrus song moved her little pea-pickin' heart. Tearing up over Miley frickin' Cyrus. I knew then that we were doomed as a society. This is just another nail in that communal coffin.

:
edit on 2018 4 30 by incoserv because: I could.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join