It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This crap inspires people?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

There's a certain amount of subjectivity to the consideration of what constitutes good food, as well; but anybody who actually likes a McRib is just a cretan. There do exist some universally applicable standards, all is not relative.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   

I agree that art is subjective. I also believe that there's a spectrum, from crap, to mediocre, to good, to great, to genius. "Citizen Kane" and "Plan 9 From Outer Space" are both films. Are they equal, in terms of cinematic quality?

The band Dire Straits has a brilliant song about art called "In The Gallery". It deals with the subject eloquently.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv

There's a certain amount of subjectivity to the consideration of what constitutes good food, as well; but anybody who actually likes a McRib is just a cretan. There do exist some universally applicable standards, all is not relative.

Oh really? Then take an honest look at a lot of the cave art of ancient times. And then look at the more modern drawings of a comic book artist or mangaka like Todd McFarlane or Kentaro Miura. If we're simply being honest, the ancient art typically looks like a child's scribbles and wouldn't even be fit to be published in a cheap comic. But since we're valuing the context behind that ancient cave art, it suddenly becomes far more valuable and "amazing" than today's art.
edit on 30-4-2018 by enlightenedservant because: misspelled Miura's name

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I'm still of the opinion that, "You're about as useful as a poopy-flavored lollipop," will remain unrivaled.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

A welcome thread drift. Thank you. Now we're talking art. Patches O' Houlihan remains one of my favorite characters in the whole of cinema.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

But couldn't the same be said of those that have feelings that are so fragile this upsets them enough to make a thread about it?

Seems like a snowflake attitude coming from both sides on this one.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Wow after reading through the comments of this thread I have to say I had no idea how many members of ats had such fragile emotions.

Most of you couldn't even handle 1 min of that video without your feelings getting so worked up that you had to post about it. wow.

At least the people this video is directed at admit they have weak emotions.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I initially got this guy confused with Steve Cutts' animations. I don't know why. If you have not seen them .... watch Happiness. It blew my mind:

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

But couldn't the same be said of those that have feelings that are so fragile this upsets them enough to make a thread about it?

Since you're talking about the thread I created, I'll respond, since you don't seem get it.
I'll tell you what I'm ranting about. You tell me if I'm wrong. Educate me.

HERE'S THE PREMISE: This video is stupid, senseless, nonsense. Some people seem to think it's wonderful.
The creator is making money off it. (Millions of YT hits)

Show me what's so cool, or so motivating, or so clever about the cartoon. Since I first posted the thread, the video
has received thousands of views. Gizmodo appears to have already taken it down. It's crap! Admit it.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: deltaalphanovember

Steve Cutts' stuff is very cool

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

Show me what's so cool, or so motivating, or so clever about the cartoon.

I never said nor do I think the video is any of those things.

I said being so offended by this that you have to make a thread about it is a sad emotional response.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Yes he is.

And just so you know - my wife agrees with your rant. She ranted in agreement with your rant. That OP video made us angry. Was it sponsored by the makers of Prozac?

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

I said being so offended by this that you have to make a thread about it is a sad emotional response.

Are you serious???? I'd reiterate everything I've said for you. but it would be a waste.
Just continue to go along with all the drek, drivel, banality and emptiness you're being spoon-fed.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   
OMG my head is going to explode! even my grandkids could'nt stop laughing at this, its pretty obvious! excuse me i need to expell a hairball

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Inspires people .........? well so does this

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Who here has a case of the Mondays? (You do!!)

Who cares if this inspires people to feel better or think positively? Yea you can think the video is garbage in terms of creativity, editing etc. but who cares? Its clearly not meant to be the #ing Mona Lisa its a stupid and silly pick me up, and who cares if it helps someone?

Would you rather them be angry like you?

Not to mention that some of those "mindless commenters" on youtube could be innocent kids just enjoying a silly video, could even be autistic kids...or adults with learning disabilities, etc.

I get that this is all snowflake talk, so i do apologize for triggering those of you with higher moral and intellectual authority as is evidenced by the cool crowd.

edit on 4302018 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I find Cyanide & Happiness, and Llamas With Hats to be pretty damn good art styles meshed with humor (in LWH's case, extremely dark humor) The OP would probably not agree they have any artistic value, but that's only his call to make for himself. The OP video has artistic merit to someone, just not him.
Big deal.
Doesn't make it not art. Stick art styles don't move me any, but it's still a form of art. Art is highly subjective to perceptions of the viewer, what is art to one person is utter s# to the next.

Thinking strictly in classic works to make this easy to follow, let's use the following as examples of my point:

I could say Warhol's work was overrated & banal junk. It doesn't mean it's not art simply because I dislike it.
I could say Van Gogh was a sloppy artist in his compositions & style, and that toddlers could do better. It would still only be my opinion.
I could say the Mona Lisa is overrated. I could call it an aesthetically dull & ugly painting. Again, based solely on only my perception of it.
I could say Dali was a one-trick-pony and his work was ultimately tired & boring. Does it mean it was just because I said so?

The only person these assertions would ring true for is me. I don't get to define the meaning of art for all, only myself. Same goes for the OP.

**Disclaimer: I actually like the works of the aforementioned, don't let my point go over your head.
edit on 4/30/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv

I have a ridiculous palate. I can almost sit down to a steak and tell you where the cow was having lunch before it was slaughtered, properly motivated, I could give Gordon Ramsey a run for his money- and until I ended up with an allergic reaction to pork, there was something about a McRib where I could stuff my face with them. My inner cretin had a menu?

And no, I have no idea how I ended up with a rich person's taste buds. My income is strictly bottom of the barrel, but when I can afford the good stuff, I get it.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
Wow after reading through the comments of this thread I have to say I had no idea how many members of ats had such fragile emotions.

Most of you couldn't even handle 1 min of that video without your feelings getting so worked up that you had to post about it. wow.

At least the people this video is directed at admit they have weak emotions.

I used to DO ART. I've been pushed aside by BS 'content' like this, and its to the point I just gave up getting anywhere with what I can do, because people are devolving like mad. I could out draw, out animate, out assemble and paint a plastic model, and out 3d render you any day of the week. And yet, my efforts are coming up for naught, because of swill that has no effort, no talent, and no work.

And... NO, I will not debase myself by tunneling to that level, neither.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: wylekat

And yet, my efforts are coming up for naught, because of swill that has no effort, no talent, and no work.

This is a contradiction, isn't it? If they're really reaching, winning over, and maintaining more fans & clientele than you, that clearly means that they're outworking you in some capacity.

You can have the best hamburger in the world. But if no one knows it exists, then no one's going to buy it nor tell their friends about it. That's the power of promotion and advertising.

You can create the most technically sound work on the planet. But if potential customers don't like "perfection" or aren't entertained by "by the book" methods, then no one's going to want your works. That's the power of marketing, which is literally both learning what your preferred customers (aka your "target market") wants and figuring out the best way to please your target market.

You can create an amazing product that is perfect for a specific political climate, event, or occasion. But if you release it too late, then no one's going to want an outdated product. What good is the perfect Halloween video if you wait until Valentine's Day to release it? That's the power of "timing" and seizing opportunities when they arise.

Just because you don't acknowledge or accept the work that's put into making other works successful doesn't mean there isn't a lot of work put into them. Acknowledging that there are indeed blueprints to success is one of the first steps to becoming successful, because you can contrast what they're doing with what you're doing and then improve your own game plan.

Best regards,
A former artist & record label owner who sucked at promotion and underestimated just how much work goes on behind the scenes to capture and maintain a loyal fanbase.
edit on 30-4-2018 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 1    3 >>

join