It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA’s Lunar Space Station Is Almost Here

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Hello, ATS. This is an update to an earlier thread I did on the new NASA Gateway Space Station: www.abovetopsecret.com...
Now it seems that this project has "wings" and the first components are scheduled to be delivered starting in 2022. The Trump administration has proposed ending funding for ISS in 2024 so I guess this couldn't come at a better time.

NASA’s goal of returning to the moon should see a major push in early 2019, when the agency awards its first contract for the lunar “Gateway” program.

The Lunar Orbital Platform-Gateway is NASA’s planned “staging” area intended for studies of the moon and the deep-space environment. Eventually, it will function as a way station for astronauts traveling to and from Mars .

NASA’s first spending for the platform will be for power and propulsion elements early next year, followed by habitation components, Associate Administrator William Gerstenmaier said Thursday at the Space Symposium conference in Colorado Springs, Colorado. They will probably be launched moonward, in that order, starting in 2022.

NASA’s goal of returning to the moon should see a major push in early 2019, when the agency awards its first contract for the lunar “Gateway” program.

The Lunar Orbital Platform-Gateway is NASA’s planned “staging” area intended for studies of the moon and the deep-space environment. Eventually, it will function as a way station for astronauts traveling to and from Mars .

NASA’s first spending for the platform will be for power and propulsion elements early next year, followed by habitation components, Associate Administrator William Gerstenmaier said Thursday at the Space Symposium conference in Colorado Springs, Colorado. They will probably be launched moonward, in that order, starting in 2022.

The Deep Space Gateway sounds like something from sci-fi. Trips to the station will be serviced by the Orion Spacecraft which will also become the command deck when docked.

This new base could allow for a Moon base in my opinion or colony. It's meant to serve as a pit stop for deep space missions to Mars and beyond and it will allow for easier exploration of the solar system as the Moons weaker gravity will lend to easier rocket take-offs and landings. What says ATS?

www.yahoo.com...

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Not going to happen unless LFTR nuclear reactors are developed. Thorium is the only abundant fuel on the moon capable of supplying a moon base's energy needs. But LFTR will never happen our lifetime because it would be the death nail for BIG oil. So a moon base is not going to happen in our lifetime.

Of course, the Chinese, Indians, and Japanese are feverishly working on LFTR reactors. Maybe that's the plan.

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   

While I welcome the step forward I can't help but feel disappointed that it is such a small step , I can see the reasoning behind an orbiting Lunar station but would prefer to see an actual Lunar base.

A manned mission to Mars seems so far away , perhaps further now seeing as a politician is now in charge of the agency.

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   

All us plebians will get from this is to see a video with slick production made in a Hollywood basement.

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015
From the NASA link in the Yahoo article,

The power and propulsion element will be the initial component of the gateway, and is targeted to launch in 2022. Using advanced high-power solar electric propulsion, the element will maintain the gateway’s position and can move the gateway between lunar orbits over its lifetime to maximize science and exploration operations.

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: ZombieZygote

All us plebians will get from this is to see a video with slick production made in a Hollywood basement.

If you choose to believe that then that is all you will get.

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Great place for an elevator....

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

If you choose to believe that then that is all you will get.

The opposite would be true for you then, if you choose to beLIEve it.....

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: ZombieZygote

I choose to believe it because the evidence is there to support it , NASA and its partners have over decades opened our eyes to the wonders of the Universe and I see no reason to doubt their integrity now , when it's in position amateur astronomers will no doubt publish pictures of it as it transits the Lunar surface so your conspiracy theory holds no water.

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Well first, it is no conspiracy theory. N.A.S.A. openly admits that its photos of space are C.G.I., many made from "ribbons of data" that are later put together in Photoshop, "Because they have to be".

Second, I find it hysterical that most people who are highly critical of governments in general, believe they lie constantly, and are constant purveyors of genocide, simultaneously believe that N.A.S.A., a government entity through and through, is the one agency spending our money honestly and genuinely concerned with helping humanity discover the truth of the cosmos. What a doozy.
😂😂😂

Also, this reply is in general, and not meant to be a salty response to you Gortex, respectfully.

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 10:43 AM
link   
This is incredible. Anything involving advancing sciences is awesome.

I hope this continues to spur new minds into new horizons.

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: ZombieZygote

I don't think NASA or ESA are perfect but I do believe the majority of the thousands of scientists that work for the agencies do so with passion and integrity.
If a digital picture is compiled in photoshop it's because it has to be because it's digital , how else could you do it ?

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Not going to happen unless LFTR nuclear reactors are developed. Thorium is the only abundant fuel on the moon capable of supplying a moon base's energy needs. But LFTR will never happen our lifetime because it would be the death nail for BIG oil. So a moon base is not going to happen in our lifetime.

Of course, the Chinese, Indians, and Japanese are feverishly working on LFTR reactors. Maybe that's the plan.

I thought it was Helium 3 that was of abundance on the moon or are those the same thing?

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Well first, it is no conspiracy theory. N.A.S.A. openly admits that its photos of space are C.G.I., many made from "ribbons of data" that are later put together in Photoshop, "Because they have to be".

😂😂😂

"openly admits"... Why would they deny it? There is no other way to do it currently. You have to stitch the pictures together. The data isn´t perfect and it overlays, making those regions more prone to run-away rounding errors.

I think you don´t grasp the tech behind this, your post is basically ridiculous naiv and made me chuckle
edit on 21-4-2018 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 10:43 AM
link   

The use of the word 'admit' is loaded. It implies some sort of admission of guilt. It is no such thing. Digital imagery has to be compiled on a computer somehow. Photoshop is the industry standard digital editor. The use of Photoshop in no way means that something is false, particularly when any photograph NASA may take can be verified by any number of other sources looking at the same thing. There is also the issue of the many many images taken by NASA that predate CGI in any form.

Second, I find it hysterical that most people who are highly critical of governments in general, believe they lie constantly, and are constant purveyors of genocide, simultaneously believe that N.A.S.A., a government entity through and through, is the one agency spending our money honestly and genuinely concerned with helping humanity discover the truth of the cosmos. What a doozy.

Your money maybe, not mine. Your government may have secrets, but the surfaces of Earth, other planets near us and the arrangement of stars are not ones you can keep. You can be as critical as you like of the way they spend the money, but that does not mean that the results of that expenditure are not real.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

LFTR will never happen our lifetime because it would be the death nail for BIG oil. So a moon base is not going to happen in our lifetime. 

Ah, the "progress" those responsible masters of destiny spoke of. They are so wise in the way they guide humanity's development. Yes yes.

edit on 4 22 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

top topics

join