It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California has eight of 10 most polluted U.S. cities

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 04:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Absolutely, there are so many variables it's difficult to pin point the cause.

I smoke 3 packs a day.

Started when I was 13. I'm 64 now.

Spent a fortune on taxes, someone owes me a new set of lungs.

I'll keep them in my fridge.

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 04:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: conspiracy nut
a reply to: tadaman

we would all much rather live in republican havens like west virginia or kentucky with billy bob and jethro and the rest of the meth addicted, confederate flag waving, gun toting, toothless hillbilly, red blooded, gas guzzlin, patriotic americans!!!!!! yee haw #mericuh! how do you like it when red states are stereotyped?

No, rather sip low fat chorizo latte and bitch about the the lowly at the goat yoga club, before i go home and bitchslap my illegal Guatemalan nanny for forgetting my douche bag kid can't process peanut butter.

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 05:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asarco

I smoke 3 packs a day.

You now have a new nickname, Asarco. Please don't be alarmed when I respond to you by using it.
edit on 19-4-2018 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 05:46 AM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

someone owes me a new set of lungs.

I wouldn't go for a trade-in. From what I've seen, the newer models don't do as well.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 05:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Absolutely, there are so many variables it's difficult to pin point the cause.

I smoke 3 packs a day.

Spent a fortune on taxes, someone owes me a new set of lungs.

I'll keep them in my fridge.

How long have you lived in Hong Kong? Last time I was there it was like $2 a packet for tailor made, as far as I know there is no tax on cigarettes .

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   
L.A./Long Beach are #1 and they will remain at the top for one reason. Population density and of course all the cars are part of it, but the other major factor are the ports.

Despite dramatic reductions in diesel emissions under the port's 2006 clean-air plan, the Los Angeles-Long Beach port complex remains the largest single source of air pollution in Southern California, with progress tapering off in recent years.

L.A. Times

So all those nice new import cars you are driving and those imported appliances, electronics, etc. first had to come through here. Kinda hard to keep the air clean when you've got 20-30 diesel container ships stacked up waiting to unload. Then there's the trucks. Several hundred (maybe 1,000+ I don't know) a day coming to port to haul this stuff all over the country. Then the rest goes to the rail lines. It's a huge operation.
I live right near the port, and most of the guys I grew up with are longshoremen that move your stuff for you every day. Middle America wants their stuff, and it has to come through somewhere!
So yeah, it's bad sometimes. Just remember when you are scolding us Angelenos for poor air quality, we are taking the hit for you
My solution is to live on the coast, the winds almost always blow east. Only now we're getting China's pollution which is even nastier than the home-grown stuff!

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I grew up for the first 19 years of my life in Bakersfield, and all I got was this lousy asthma.

That's why I call it "The Crotch of the Central Valley," because all of the smog from Sacramento on down gets trapped over Bakersfield because of the mountainous cul-de-sac surrounding the town. And you'll notice from numbers 2-5 on that list, it just starts at Bakersfield and heads north up the San Joaquin Valley.

Congratulations, America, because that's where the bulk of your produce is grown, so you're eating all of that smog

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

Just remember when you are scolding us Angelenos for poor air quality, we are taking the hit for you.

I have no interest in scolding anyone for their air quality. Just don't expect the rest of the country to need or want the same environmental regulations you have. I'll do more than scold you for that; I'll condemn you for it.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: TheLotLizard

If you have smoked 15 years your lungs do not exceed anyones capacity except someone who smoked 16 years.

Its a common lie smokers tell themselves. But it isnt true.

I guess that’s why I can freedive up to 8 minutes back to back. Because I have horrible smoker lungs.

SMH

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Nah, as far as manufacturing and general transportation, I think this state has already gone too far. Doing business around here is close to impossible. Commercial shipping over land and sea is where I'd hope to see more innovation. Regulations in that area have been working but at the same time are driving up costs and putting some independent operators out of business. Imagine being told your truck fleet doesn't pass the new regs and you're turned away at the port. Buying new semi's for some of these guys is out of the question. The operators say they are being blindsided by the new standards while the authorities say they've had plenty of time to comply. It's a tough situation but with shipping's constant growth and impact on air quality it has to be addressed.

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Winter in Alaska has its own charms...it depends very much upon where you are.

Down around Juneau, and that stretch, it seldom gets what Alaskans consider cold. Wet, oh yes. On a boat travelling along the coast is an experience not to be missed. A million shades of green and gray, and the mountains in places come right down to the sea. Beautiful just isn't the right word for it.

Out on the chain it's much the same, thanks to the Japan current, with the wind and rain. Willawa's are no fun, especially if you have to work in 'em. Here, then gone. Almost as fast as it took to type that. The strongest winds I, personally, ever experienced were when the Siberian winter decided to come calling...150, or so they say, mph wind gusts. Ours pegged at 130, with some stronger gusts. Roofs peeled everywhere...not fun.

Up north, on the slope, the dark is incredible...not everyone is capable of handling it. My favorite place in the winter was actually Fairbanks, or rather the interior of Alaska. Cold has new meaning there!! My last winter there we had several days when the wind chill got down into almost triple digits--you don't notice the difference much past -40F, or so. But on a clear day its simply beyond gorgeous. Deadly, if you aren't very careful, but gorgeous none the less.

If ever you have the opportunity, take it. Summer or winter. You won't regret it.

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I've thought that a time or two, in retrospect...

I enjoyed my times in Fairbanks, not sure I could live there year 'round, though.

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Oy!!

I resent that remark. Or I will eventually...someday...maybe. I ain't no Yankee. Damned, maybe... But no Yankee.

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I left as soon as I could and never have been back other than a visit or two to friends over the Holidays.

I have seen jobs posted for Fairbanks but I didn't (still wont) bother.

The cold, the dark, the air pollution, just too much anymore. Lots of wood burning stoves along valley roads that funnel down to the city where weather inversions trap it all. Happens with wildfires too. Even happens here in good ol' Anchorage on occasion but nothing like up north. I think both cities made the list. We always do. Not much you can do about wild fires.

I had a list up from 2015 and Cali had 6 of 10 on the list. Seems about average.

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I like the mental gymnastics from the leftists here...
Just admit it. Liberalism, poverty, low IQ, welfare dependency, and illegal immigrants are huge contributing factors to pollution. Just because you recycle and drive a hybrid doesn't offset the fact your ideology is wasteful and messy...

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Just don't try to change us, and everything is fine.

Where the "damn" part comes in is so many Yankees (New York and Chicago especially) want to come here for the Southern ambiance and clear skies and clean water.. then as soon as they get here they try to destroy all of them by wanting to turn Alabama into wherever they came from.

In some ways they've succeeded. I heard we stopped having open season on Damn Yankees a few years back... sad...

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

You're King Kamehameha...i knew it.

My favorite fish is the humahumanukanukaapuaa.

Been to the big island once. Spectacularly beautiful. Standing three feet from molten lava was a sizzling good time too.

Sucks that so many Americans label Californians as kill worthy targets. Psychopathic domestic terrorists seems like a fitting group name for them. Maybe they should file for certain rights and establish themselves publically?

"PEEPL - Psychopaths Eager to End People's Lives. Its not a mental disorder. We just care too much (or maybe not at all)."

edit on 4192018 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   
And millions of illegals a reply to: xuenchen

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Swills

Hawaii has the highest per capita homeless population. Imagine that.

What's your point? What does Hawaii's homeless population have to do with anything?

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Blaine91555

Tourists are ok for the most part. They don't really trash things and don't catch many fish. I wasn't talking about them.

It's the snowbirds. The ones that pay stupid prices for already stupidly expensive houses and act like they're "local" because they own a house here.

Hmm, you must live in Hawaii, because lately all my friends have been having this bigoted attitude towards people who move to Hawaii.

Mind you, I was raised in Hawaii since I was 2 and move away at the age of 21 so I know Hawaii. I guess I am not a "Local" by your standards because I was not born there but I know or a fact I am a Local.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join