It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ABUSE CRISIS: AP: Iraqi Died at Abu Ghraib While Hanging by His Wrists

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   
The Iraqi prisoner who's corpse was photographed with grinning U.S. soldiers apparently died when place in a position that most human rights groups define as torture. While undergoing CIA interrogation, Manadel al-Jamadi, was suspended by his wrists, with his hands cuffed behind his back. The death which came to light last year, in which the U.S. military classified it as a homicide lacked the details released today. The position is known as a "Palestinian Hanging" in documents that the Associated Press reviewed. Al-Jamadi was one of the "ghost" detainees that was held at Abu Ghraib.

story.news.yahoo.com[/u rl]
SAN DIEGO - An Iraqi whose corpse was photographed with grinning U.S. soldiers at Abu Ghraib died under CIA interrogation while in a position condemned by human rights groups as torture — suspended by his wrists, with his hands cuffed behind his back, according to reports reviewed by The Associated Press.

The death of the prisoner, Manadel al-Jamadi, became known last year when the Abu Ghraib prison scandal broke. The U.S. military said back then that the death had been ruled a homicide. But the exact circumstances under which the man died were not disclosed at the time.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

As more information comes to light about this shameful part of U.S. military history, I remain appalled that the buck seems to have stopped for real punishment at any rate at the enlisted ranks. No matter if he authorized it or not, the buck squarely stops at Rumsfields and Wolfowitz's desk period! This who episode needs to be reexamined and charges should be looked at for everybody in the chain of command.

[edit on 2/17/05 by FredT]

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Just when is someone going to hold the president of the United States of America accountable for this?

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Why do people think that the US administration knows everything that every CIA agent does?.....

Is this the first time some CIA agents have used this kind of technique?....

You think that while Clinton was in office there were no CIA agents who used these kinds of interrogation techniques?...

This is just another attempt at Bush bashing, plain and simple.

And do you also think that the administration ordered those soldiers to pose grinning right beside the corpse of that Iraqi?...

It is a shame things like this happen, but they do.

[edit on 17-2-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Navy SEALs apprehended al-Jamadi as a suspect in the Oct. 27, 2003, bombing of Red Cross offices in Baghdad that killed 12 people. His alleged role in the bombing is unclear. According to court documents and testimony, the SEALs punched, kicked and struck al-Jamadi with their rifles before handing him over to the CIA early on Nov. 4. By 7 a.m., al-Jamadi was dead.

Ok even if the man was guilty of killing 12 people why the Seals did not took him to another place for interrogation?

Now if he was killed and then found not body will have made a big deal about it, it will have been just another death terrorist.

But what it makes it wrong is the photographs and the way he was found.

And yes Dg, remember Bush will not held any member of his administration accountable.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Marg, As comander in chief he should be held accountable. Thats the bottom line.

Clinton? Well, its happening now, under Bush- NOT CLINTON.

Not to worry- the world will hold us accountable (all of us) for years to come. So will God.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   
'God' plays no part in this, dgtempe.
Save it for the proper forum.

seekerof

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Marg, As comander in chief he should be held accountable. Thats the bottom line.

Yes he should take responsibility for the death of the prisoners taken under the custody of the US we were responsible of their well being.

Yes sometimes is easier to blame Clinton rather than bush the Saviour.

Not to worry- the world will hold us accountable (all of us) for years to come. So will God.

Yes you are right law sues will start coming from other countries and occurs the American tax payer is the one to pay for it.

And again how can you blame God Itself for wrong doings God doesn't do wrong.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Well Seekerof, i didnt know it was against the rules of the forum to mention God. Once again, i'm out of line

I'll go away like a shrinking violet and not hold Bush accountable, ok?

peace.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I personally have no problem with us torturing any of these people. Hell, look what they do to us...Alls I ask is keep it quiet. I think where they screwed up was taking pictures. That was the stupist thing I've seen. I understand that we need to do what we need to do. If these people won't give up information voluntarily, then I think we should do whats neccesary. We just need to keep it quiet.

Im sure our government has done much much worse to people.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by spliff4020
I personally have no problem with us torturing any of these people. Hell, look what they do to us...Alls I ask is keep it quiet. Im sure our government has done much much worse to people.

Bingo, I agree,but once is public, oh well, somebody better be hold accountable.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   
On the other hand- why let you off that easily, Seekerof;

Do you think the murder of prisioners is ok? If not, why, and who should be to blame?

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

Yes...it is happening now...but why bring it to attention now?.... i'll tell you why, because some people don't want the president to be in office....
That's why you are bringing this up....

And the world is going to hold us accountable for this DG?..... Like the world is holding France accountable for what they have been doing in the Ivory Coast under UN supervision?.....

[edit on 17-2-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 10:05 PM
link   

as posted by dgtempe
On the other hand- why let you off that easily, Seekerof;
Do you think the murder of prisioners is ok? If not, why, and who should be to blame?

First of all, based upon the article linked in the initial posting, "murder" has yet to be proven, dgtempe.
Who are you, judge and jury? Are you aware of all the details in this event? Does the media know and report all the details?
Till the full details are released, I will withhold my opinion on whether it was "murder". If it is found and determined to have been "murder," then my response would be that the "murder" of this particular prisoner was wrong and that all knowing individuals should be held accountable.

As to who to blame, that remains to be seen. I just find it ironic that the CIA is involved in this particular event and tragic death of a prisoner and yet, did not the CIA release a report today saying that the war in Iraq will possibly increase terrorism abroad?!?

See any connection here? Let me help you a bit: C.I.A.

seekerof

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
And the world is going to hold us accountable for this DG?..... Like the world is holding France accountable for what they have been doing in the Ivory Coast under UN supervision?.....

But Muaddib, you know that anything that happens in Africa is ignored. It certainly doesn't make it right though. I think more attention needs to be paid to that area of the world, and what goes on there.

Basically, I think you have made a good point on that one. I think any country that abuses prisoners needs to be held accountable for this kind of treatment, no matter who they are.

But, like it or not, these are the stories that get published because news about Africa just doesn't sell.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   
people, why are u blaming bush instead of the people who tortured this prisoner? next you all will excuse them and ask bush to be punished instead, by your logic every leader causes all crimes in their country, the hate for bush is clouding some of your minds into blaming him for what others do.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
People are so out to blame others for what has happened and point the fingers at whos accountable. IMO, these prisoners are treated alot better than you think. 1. Cause I have been to those place before 2. Alot of the prisoners that end up dead or beaten badly, are due to hwo they acted, like try to escape, spit, throw feces, bite, kick...

These same things happen in US and other countries prisons all the time. NOW the pictures, pure idiocracy!

And ask yourself this question, if you were in another country and got caught doing a crime or bombing people or what have you, do you think you will get fair treatment??? You will be most likely dead from the beatings they will give you, if not they will let the public get a hold of you and say you escaped, only so they can wash their hands of it. And those who do make the news, 99% of the time is a negotiation for something...like the beheadings.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by mscbkc070904
These same things happen in US and other countries prisons all the time. NOW the pictures, pure idiocracy!

Interrogation while placing the prisoner in a position widely recognized to be torture, is going on in US prisons?

Please do your civic duty and provide all the evidence that you have to the authorities immediately, so that the US prison system can be examined.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I referring to the beating he took not the interrogation techniques. Now what gets me...is how they worded this....

Hands cuffed in the back BUT suspended by his wrists???? To me thats nearly in impossible how can you be suspended without teetering?

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 10:30 PM
link   
It's fairly easy to be handcuffed behind your back and then suspended by your wrists.

They just have to dislocate your shoulders first, I think.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 10:32 PM
link   
You may find it insignificant but for an american who travels, "small" events like that can carry a long distances. I don't think the reputation of the american people, government in particular, will recover from this "small" event.

I don't care about the men, there are stories about minors and women that are extremely troubling.

Expect trouble when these soldiers are returned to their normal life. I would think after treating people like a plastic bag full of meat, these soldiers will be at war, in their minds, for the rest of their life.

Bush? Where to for golf?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join