It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North and South Korea reportedly set to announce official end to war

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+24 more 
posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 06:17 AM
link   
North and South Korea reportedly set to announce official end to war

North and South Korea are in talks to announce a permanent end to the officially declared military conflict between the two countries, daily newspaper Munhwa Ilbo reported Tuesday, citing an unnamed South Korean official.

Ahead of a summit next week between North Korean premier Kim Jong Un and South Korean President Moon Jae-in, lawmakers from the neighboring states were thought to be negotiating the details of a joint statement that could outline an end to the confrontation.

Kim and Moon could also discuss returning the heavily-fortified demilitarized zone separating them to its original state, the newspaper said.

click link for article..

Certainly a step in the right direction. Hopefully this happens and things settle down for a change on that peninsula.

If this works the left are going to lose their damn minds over it. I am sure the devil is going to be in the details but hopefully the details are something both sides will be able to reach a compromise on.
edit on 17-4-2018 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 06:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

About time really.

Stuff being one of the unlucky sods that undertake the task of the removal of about a million landmines all the same, i hope the hazard pays worth it!
edit on 17-4-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 06:41 AM
link   

finally some good news from the Korean region!

this is fantastic , shout outs Korea for all their efforts to bring an end to this long lasting conflict

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Nah, demining is fun nowadays with all the tools available for it.

MCLC, APOBS, mine rollers.... A good time can be had by all.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 06:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Nah, demining is fun nowadays with all the tools available for it.

MCLC, APOBS, mine rollers.... A good time can be had by all.

They could always use one of the many tunnels N. Korea has dug under the DMZ over the years to bypass those mines.
edit on 17-4-2018 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Aye its all fun and games until someone loses there arms and legs.

Personally, i imagine it will be rather a herculean task to remove all that ordinance, i hope they remember where they buried the things.
edit on 17-4-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 06:48 AM
link   

This is really great news. I hope it means that North Koreans diet will become a little more rich in rhe near future.
Seems that what is happening is the exact opposite of what the media was predicting before the Olympics.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 06:49 AM
link   

They have machines that can do that safely these days. It looks like a combine-harvester but explodes the mines instead of harvesting them.

ETA watchitburn beat me to it.

edit on 17/4/18 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
If this works the left are going to lose their damn minds over it.

...and why would that be?

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

They have had mine flail tanks since WW-2, they don't always do what it says on the tin.

Although im sure the technologies have progressed somewhat, there are still going to have to do it the hard way with certain types of mine, and it's going to take time.

Not that it won't be worth it all the same, should they make peace!

+20 more 
posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 06:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

Because they dont like it when Trump is successful. In case you missed it the left was going nuts on Trump for his stance on N. Korea, claiming it would start a new war.

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Lefty here, with nothing but a big smile on my face.

I really hope the two parties make the best of this opportunity to come to terms with their past, and produce a better, safer and healthier future for both the North and the South Korean people.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Because they dont like it when Trump is successful. In case you missed it the left was going nuts on Trump for his stance on N. Korea, claiming it would start a new war.

your insanity is affecting your judgement man.

1) the leaders of the left doesn't know what they want, for all intents and purposes the democratic party is non-defunct. that says nothing about the people. you need to differentiate that.

2) as for the right, see number one. they did the exact same thing, would you like the links for Foxnews?

3) Trump had absolutely nothing to do with this. it was both the koreas that decided to sit down and talk. but please take all the credit if you want, i know it helps you folks sleep at night.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Is that like the right is going nuts on him over Syria because he might start a new war?
Or is it ok if we wait and see, rather than projecting one's partisanship?

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Shouldnt take that long as they know where they were planted etc

arent they still cleaning up Cambodia , Laos , and Vietnam , heard they only managed to clear like 5% (or something low ) of the total mines and un-exploded bombs !

edit on 17-4-2018 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

OH and finally may get to try the Taepongdong brewery DPRK beer
edit on 17-4-2018 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Good first step but it will take decades to deprogram the populous of the north. What will people do when they find out three generations of dear leaders have been lying to them?

I guess it's good for Samsung and Hyundai though. They'll build plants in the north for the cheep labour.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 07:42 AM
link   
This is awesome. We can bring home tens of thousands of troops from a region they shouldn't have been in in the first place.

Bring em home from around the world and we can stop wasting money pissing in other people's yard and calling it a favor.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: cenpuppie
So Trumps supplying China with cheap coal and strangling the NK economy was pointless

I think it's not over yet bit more to come

I wonder how many rogue states are left to clean up

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Is that like the right is going nuts on him over Syria because he might start a new war?
Or is it ok if we wait and see, rather than projecting one's partisanship?

I like it that both the right and left are angry with his moves, it tells me that he is doing something right.
edit on b000000302018-04-17T08:08:49-05:0008America/ChicagoTue, 17 Apr 2018 08:08:49 -0500800000018 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Yay!

That would be awesome if they could end this war!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join