It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Accents and dialects, what are your favourites or least liked?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

She misses out so much...

All of our regional accents have been blended somewhat, I found this trying to showcase my own accent... I'm a mackem, my avatar picture is a local hero called Jack Crawford.

If you can make sense of him lol, regional accents have regional variation within the region.

Great thread btw, I do love different accents.

a reply to: Maxatoria

I totally agree, personally I think much more should be done to celebrate such diversity.
edit on 13-4-2018 by RAY1990 because: Don't want to pollute the thread with too many replies

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Tundra

Haha okay!

...so what is it then? Her voice has melted me for decades

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   

We we eating at restaurant in Spain when we heard the English couple nearby discussing whether we were Cockney's or Aussies ... I let them know we were indeed from Oz. The husband said to his wife " see I told ya! "

Apparently he watched a lot of " neighbours " . Hehe.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990

She misses out so much...

True, but was the best I could find quick for our US friends

I can tell the difference between Truro, Plymouth, and Okehampton for example, it is quite noticeable to me.
...I love the Northumbria dialect, got a mate from County Durham and I love his accent, I know I'm generalising with the 'Northern' accent thing, but you know what I mean I'm sure.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Timely

Haha, 'Neighbours' and 'Home and Away' are my Oz accent point of reference from childhood!
...ah, Kylie...

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   
In the summer of 1970, I was working at Butlin's holiday camp in Ayr, the campers being from Scotland and north-west England.
I remember people saying to me "I suppose you'll be going back to Ireland at the end of the summer." I do not come from Ireland.
Another man was more accurate. I answered a request with something like "Yes, I will." The man turned to his wife and said "This lad here's from south of t'Ribble!"

P.S. South, because I said "yes" instead of "Aye". I assume that was the clue.

edit on 13-4-2018 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Paul Hogan is atypical of an Aussie accent.

Newsreaders have a standard formal accent not quite as stiff upper lip as BBC speak.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Keep 'em guessing lol.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Aye.

I've always asked Americans when it's came up in conversation if they have similar phenomena.

The apple goes farther from the tree in the US it seems, in a historical sense.

Less chance of an "in-bred" accent.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Got ya

The 'formal' accent, haha yes, I can switch into that as required, I call it my business or phone accent, learned it at school, I wonder if they still teach it to kids these days. My offspring can switch between scummy in-bred local to BBC accent easily as well. It gets the decent job, it gets the judge less discriminatory to you in court.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990
Less chance of an "in-bred" accent.

Lol, like Okehampton!

...sorry Okehampton people reading this x

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I'm loving the accent of the US ambassador to the UN as well, I don't hear any of her words, just the flow of the vocals.
I know, I'm Shallow Hal for sure!

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

originally posted by: kelbtalfenek

Favorite accent for me is the Mississipi plantation accent

Would this vid be accurate? I know that accent from movies, I like it as well...

That's pretty darned close...gives me shivers hearing it.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: kelbtalfenek

Good or bad shivers?

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   

I ain't even gonna judge you about the Sanders thing. We all have weird things affect us in unexpected ways.

My favorites depend on gender. For women, I love Spanish and German accents but I get butterflies when I hear a woman with an Indian accent. For men, any UK accent is nice (double points for a black man for some reason) and so is a southern accent (as in southern states). But I absolutely swoon over west African accents.

For any random person though, I think my overall favorites are some of the Middle Eastern accents. Especially those nice, warm Turkish men who always say "my friend" when they are talking to strangers, lol.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Honestly, that sounds like a pretty common west coast accent. Like, it didn't even sound like an accent until I realized we actually have one.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I have a Yorkshire accent me, people mostly like it

Southern American accents, absolutely love em! even though I take the mick at some words (all in jest), american as a whole to be honest, but southern is my favourite. Then it would have to be french canadian, dutch, swedish and welsh.

Brummie is the worst for me, then cockneys! all I can think of from top of me head.
edit on VpmFriday21pm430 by valiant because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Haha to me in my part of the world it is a massively different accent!
That track was a big thing in my younger life, and dreamily drifting off to the girls voice was/is always amazing. Big difference to the 'BBC news' accent by the male voice immediately before her...it's quiet though so you might miss it if on low volume.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

Haha to me in my part of the world it is a massively different accent!
That track was a big thing in my younger life, and dreamily drifting off to the girls voice was/is always amazing. Big difference to the 'BBC news' accent by the male voice immediately before her...it's quiet though so you might miss it if on low volume.

Well maybe your destiny lies on the west coast (especially LA). You'd be melting every time a woman said hello to you, lol.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Lol I melt to many accents, if you heard a strong Scouse (Liverpool) accent you probably wouldn't recognise it as a British accent (maybe?) but I was with a Scouse girl for a while years ago and I loved her voice...just speak to me...just speak to me...even better when she was angry shouting, omg...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join