It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Accents and dialects, what are your favourites or least liked?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Okay, I'll admit that whenever I listen to Sarah Huckabee Sanders on TV giving her briefings I drift off into her accent, and half the time don't even listen to her actual message. I've searched and apparently she has an Arkansa accent?

That said, I love most of the different accents in the UK, it can range from old school BBC presenter English, to Newcastle (Geordie), and everything in between.
My favourite Scottish accent is Edinburgh, but I'm not so keen on Glasgow, always sounds angry to me, no offence Glasgow folk.
Ever had someone from Birmingham shouting at you in anger? The funniest ever because it doesn't sound scary at all, again no offence Brummies.

So, what's your fave or least fave accents from around the world?

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

My favorite is the Scottish accent. I can't differentiate the types of it but i guess in general, like it is in Trainspotting movie and how Sean Connery talks.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I like the Australian accent a lot always sounds fun..
My own northern Canadian accent is neat goes something like this” ehhh how yea doin there bud? Oh yea that’s good wanna snag some brews n,get right side ways eh.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Finspiracy

Haha yes, I know what you mean!
There are many different accents in Scotland and vary quite a lot, same in Wales, England and Northern Ireland.
On that note I'll listen to a female Republic of Ireland accent all day, but Northern Ireland not so much, it's almost like the difference between Glasgow and Edinburgh to me.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
Okay, I'll admit that whenever I listen to Sarah Huckabee Sanders on TV giving her briefings I drift off into her accent, and half the time don't even listen to her actual message. I've searched and apparently she has an Arkansa accent?

That said, I love most of the different accents in the UK, it can range from old school BBC presenter English, to Newcastle (Geordie), and everything in between.
My favourite Scottish accent is Edinburgh, but I'm not so keen on Glasgow, always sounds angry to me, no offence Glasgow folk.
Ever had someone from Birmingham shouting at you in anger? The funniest ever because it doesn't sound scary at all, again no offence Brummies.

So, what's your fave or least fave accents from around the world?
Benny Hill's accent. is it Cockney?? still love that show, i never get tired of it lol

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

Haha, I like the Canadian accent when watching Ice road Truckers or whatever, but I bet you can notice the regional variations more than I would.
Speaking of Australia, I wonder if there is much difference between accents from say Sydney and Canberra.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Personally I can’t stand on cooking shows when the person is an English speaker but every time they get to a word that’s not of English origin they throw a deep accent on it.

Mostly I see it on this Mexican cooking show, the woman is white and speaks perfect English until she comes to a Spanish word and then she way over does the accent.

I always wonder if she was cooking spaghetti one time if she would all the sudden turn full blood Italian just for that one word.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: MantheDevilsApe
Benny Hill's accent. is it Cockney?? still love that show, i never get tired of it lol

Ooh I don't know, I was only a kid when it was on TV and don't remember it, just the chase scene always at the end.

edit on 13-4-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: fix quote

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   
A good family friend lives in Brisbane and I love his accent. We also use lots of native words as slang up here where I live,awuss and austum( get outa here and come here)

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantumgamer1776

Haha I stress the accent sometimes if speaking something other than English. When using Polish words with mates I sound like a deep voiced dark eastern European super villain lol

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Athetos
A good family friend lives in Brisbane and I love his accent. We also use lots of native words as slang up here where I live,awuss and austum( get outa here and come here)

Ah so you can tell the different accents in Australia then, my only point of reference is Home and Away, and Neighbours, from childhood lol
...love the slang words

Are they pronounced "ahwuss" with wuss as "bus", and "Austum" like "Autumn" ?

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   
You pronounce the “s” in both the Cree language likes the letter a lot

Ahwuss is how it’s pronounced and ah-stum not sure on the proper spelling lol

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   

People from south Africa that learned Afrikaans first and English second.
Sounds cool the way they say #

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

Haha, cheers for that

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Yes, got a mate speaks like that, I like it too.
As an aside he came here as a refugee fleeing violence years ago, he's glad he did now, all his family have joined him since. Mad the changes in that country.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Michael Fassbender accent

edit on 13-4-2018 by Spacespider because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

Brilliant cheers, I haven't watched that in ages

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   
My favorite accents are Scottish and Irish. I have a volunteer from Ireland and when he talks, OMGEEEEEEEEEEE he's fabulous to hear!

Least favorite accent is a New Jersey accent. To my Great Lakes dialect speaking ears, a Jersey accent positively grates. My apologies to any ATSers from New Jersey, it's my personal observation.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Cheddarhead

Haha I hooked up with a guy from New Jersey for a couple of months while traveling some years ago. It is a particular 'drawl' I really liked it to be honest, it's really different.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Found this, and she is pretty bang on with different UK accents...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join