It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Accents and dialects, what are your favourites or least liked?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

I love a Southern USA accent. There is something both sexy and comforting when I hear someone with that sweet Southern drawl.

My least favorite is the East Coast USA accent like from New York or Boston. It is so abrasive and usually being used in a condescending or scolding tone as they dress down the inferiors or flyover folks.

Nice thread idea!

edit on 2018/4/13 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Ah, you can help me then, is the female voice (at the start of one of my all time favourite early dance tracks) an Arizona accent, and is that classed as Southern?
I melt when I hear her accent

EDIT
Lol at New York/Boston accents...I'm guessing the New Jersey one isn't a favourite of yours either?
edit on 13-4-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Southern, then British....I read In a magazine once that the two most recognizable accents the world over were British 1st and Southern USA. 2nd....it also stated the two most recognizable face's world wide were....Jesus Christ 1st & Colonel Sanders 2nd.....says something about who we hold in high regard.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Despite the stereotype, I loves me a good ol' newfie accent ! By Jesus!
Irish is a close second.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Favorite accent for me is the Mississipi plantation accent...My grandmother had that accent and it's both country and aristocrat...Close second is the Southern English (London) accent...It makes everything just seem official and intelligent. After that I love a lot of the Castellano Spanish accents.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: kelbtalfenek

Favorite accent for me is the Mississipi plantation accent

Would this vid be accurate? I know that accent from movies, I like it as well...

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I'm from Nova Scotia. So many different accents. Even the harshest one are easy now...

I can understand that. But I just can't get the Indian accent at times. My ears go, "That's what I said." "No,..." Damn frustrating.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   
As someone from the potteries and the 5/6 towns for those who didn't read the book lets just say as someone walking you can find within a short walk (ok walking is illegal in the US so lets just say a 5 mins drive) a totally different verbal system as most people lived and worked within 5-10 minutes walking time so accents soon built up, someone from Longton has a totally different speech pattern than me being a Stoke lad and its only a few miles difference.

www.youtube.com...

Now that was just one of the dialects (always was on the local radio 5 mins before I had to leave for school so when I finished so did I have to leave)

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   

I also like Irish and English accents. Not the Cockney English though, lol.

Arizona isn't really an accent to me. Most of the mid-west and west are just 'normal' to me. Kinda of the default you would hear on the news.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Here is the Norfolk accent- "The Singing Postman".
(We were the next county)

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I like the ulster accent.

Dia daiobh,
Luke is ainm dom.
Slán leat!
edit on 13-4-2018 by Luuke123 because: Wrong grammar

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Southern US (North Carolina?) always hit a sweet spot for some reason, women that is. I think a south African dialect sounds awesome. It's up there with an Australian accent, something about the way they swear...

I don't like my own accent, I like the accent we get compared too even less though.

link   
Well, I’ve already spoken of my (now former) colleague from London, the effect her accent had on me.

I also enjoy the northern Welsh accent. Especially after a friend of mine who studied linguistics, taught me how to properly pronounce the double-L and double-F (“LL”, and “FF”) sounds, and how they are not the same (but pronuncing “w” as a long “u” still throws me at times!). Llewelyn is a blast to say! As is Ffloyd!

Love the Italian accent, too. Or maybe just Italian food, cars, art...You get the idea.

I find the Filipino accent sometimes difficult to understand.

And I often confuse the Portuguese accent for something Eastern European.

Being from Northern California, we don’t really have much of a distinctive accent or dialect to brag about.
edit on 13-4-2018 by Bhadhidar because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

I love a Southern USA accent. There is something both sexy and comforting when I hear someone with that sweet Southern drawl.

My least favorite is the East Coast USA accent like from New York or Boston. It is so abrasive and usually being used in a condescending or scolding tone as they dress down the inferiors or flyover folks.

Nice thread idea!

I agree with you. Certain Southern accents are very nice as well, like the man on the Antiques Roadshow who appraises the Civil War items. I can listen to him appraise all day...

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   

On my trip to the US, everyone I met loved my accent and wanted to talk to me. Of course I told them that I didn't have an accent ...

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Lol at Cockney, there are loads of accents in England, some you wouldn't think were the same country. I'm guessing the one you like is the standard 'BBC English' accent. I can do that myself as was taught in school, and I use it where appropriate, but my natural accent is nothing like that.
I guess the Arizona accent to you is like the BBC accent to me.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: Athetos

Haha, I like the Canadian accent when watching Ice road Truckers or whatever, but I bet you can notice the regional variations more than I would.
Speaking of Australia, I wonder if there is much difference between accents from say Sydney and Canberra.

Not much difference nation wide.
South Australians put a 'w' in place of 'll'. Ie.
Tall is pronounced taw ball is baw etc.

The main difference is the drawl that you hear in country folk.

That seems fairly standard everywhere.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantumgamer1776

We (English) do!

I know a Mexican guy who just loves it when I say words like jalapeño.

Really gets his goat

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Timely
The main difference is the drawl that you hear in country folk.

That seems fairly standard everywhere.

Good point, it does seem that way, but there are exceptions, if you heard people from the city of Bristol they sound more westcountry than rural SW England, this guy sums it up well...

I'm not from Bristol, but me and the guy share the same 'skill' as do most Brits, to switch between local accent and BBC accent as required. Say I was up in front of a judge or at a job interview I speak in BBC accent.
To be honest I type in a BBC accent in my head on ATS, how's that for weird?!

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

Ah, you can help me then, is the female voice (at the start of one of my all time favourite early dance tracks) an Arizona accent, and is that classed as Southern?
I melt when I hear her accent

EDIT
Lol at New York/Boston accents...I'm guessing the New Jersey one isn't a favourite of yours either?

Definitely not southern.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join