It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Accents and dialects, what are your favourites or least liked?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I'll be frank, (and probably alone in my taste) I like accents from India. Mostly the ones that have been in the US for quite a while but refuse to commit to full English. Hearing funny stories with that broken English/Hindi accent always cracks me up.

I have close Indian friends and when all those shootings were happening, my older friend said,"No can go to church, No can go to school, No can go to cinema, No can go home! Where can go!!??" LMAO. Great people, great food, and very determined to succeed they are.

I always wondered however, how most if not all store and gas station owners who are from India always call people 'buddy' or 'boss'... its practically universal, lol.

S&F

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow
I'll be frank, (and probably alone in my taste) I like accents from India. Mostly the ones that have been in the US for quite a while but refuse to commit to full English. Hearing funny stories with that broken English/Hindi accent always cracks me up.

Ah that's a good one! I know what you mean, I love the 'sing-song' sound to the vocal, it is unique.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Just had a mad thought that some folk may think this thread is racist.
I bet some do, but blinkin' 'eck accents and dialects are deeply engrained in a regional way. That is just...well...life.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

It would be a shame to be considered racist to appreciate and admire another's culture and dialect.

(Sigh...) However I'm pretty sure there are some 'crusaders' out there just looking for an excuse.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

Agreed, and I don't doubt it for a second on the internet, can't fart without someone having a heart attack lol.
...Crusaders lol, I don't know any in real life, only online.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I was friends with a gal from Panama.
I found her accent very sexy.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 02:15 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Is it typical Spanish or is there a difference ?

Ie; Portuguese in Portugal is different from Portuguese
In Brazil. Not so much the language itself but different inflections as well as accent differences obviously due to time and culture.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 05:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: Tundra

Haha okay!

...so what is it then? Her voice has melted me for decades

Haha! I think the best way to describe it is... No accent at all. As far as American accents go.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 05:50 AM
link   

a reply to: Tundra

Haha okay!

...so what is it then? Her voice has melted me for decades

I can say that I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crackers, lol! Or however the hell that saying goes. How about a french ladys accent? Yep!

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 06:05 AM
link   

I'm loving the accent of the US ambassador to the UN as well, I don't hear any of her words, just the flow of the vocals.
I know, I'm Shallow Hal for sure!

If you are talking Sarah Hucabee. Then yes. That is southern. Southern and smart(ass.) Sexy smart! Lol!

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Just had a mad thought that some folk may think this thread is racist.
I bet some do, but blinkin' 'eck accents and dialects are deeply engrained in a regional way. That is just...well...life.

The most racist thread ever hahaaaa! If so, then people need to get over it. The world is the world.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Trinidadian , Brazilian and Japanese female accents, love it..

Chinese sounds like they are about to fight the person they are talking to.

Russian or Russian like accents seems intimidating as hell.

Philippine accents just annoy me for some reason, although they ma peeps.

Folks with deep Scottish accents, while intrigued, I'm sure they are doing it on purpose to annoy me.

edit on 14-4-2018 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   

I must say that I am partial to the southern accent as that is what I have been accustomed to for many, many years. Now, with that said, one thing I dislike is the 'put on' sounding accent. I have been told that when I am upset (angry) that my accent is heavier, dunno....it is likely true LOL.
Years ago someone pegged me as having been born in Pennsylvania and that was odd as I didn't think that I still carried that around.
My very bestest friend is in Tampa Florida and born and raised. Her accent is a deep, rich almost Mississippi Delta type sound. Soulful and sexy and we can talk on the phone for hours. Likely because I drag it on due to the hypnotizing sound of her and wishing we were together again. She is black and her inflection of certain words such as our names (we have the same name!) is just fun to hear.
My birth father was from Ireland and I suppose when I hear an Irish man talk, I imagine what he must have sounded like. Belfast though...
Interesting topic!
I have found some UK accents quite appealing also...LOL

In all fairness, I like languages and accents. Today, at the local grocery, a Spanish man was scolding his 'wild' young daughter and it sounded very nice even though I'm sure it was harsh to her. My Indian friends, same, they can be smiling and chatting with me and turn to their children in their native tongue and it sound like a whip cracking!

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Almost forgot this.
My sister in law was from Detroit and I miss her voice. It was hard and edgy from years of abuse and she always put me in my place and I think that she had a 'grit' that is hard to find. Her accent was full of mean streets, shoveling snow, hard times for a fix and a life I could never imagine. I miss that Sunday voice on Skype!

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Ah really loved reading your accent tales, thank you!

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I took a trip to Scotland once.
Everybody sounds like their mouths are stuffed full of cotton.

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I have always had a weakness for the French accent but the Dutch accent is oh so sexy to me....but my bf is Dutch so that makes me a bit bias now.

When we were in Paris I LOVED hearing everyone speak. I think he felt slightly threatened with my love of the French and their accents.

I also love the Aussie accent!!!

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   
When I was working in the club I will NEVER forget this incident.

There was a very HOT guy that came in from Paris. He barely spoke English so his brother translated our conversations. I swear if I was single I would have been all over him

Everyone was laughing at me that worked there because they knew how I was when it came to the French and the man was HOT! Omg like model hot. He came back two nights in a row while in town to see me. We only talked with my very broken French and his very broken English but his brother was so helpful. I was beat red most of the time talking to him. It was so funny I will never forget it or his sexy accent.

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: mblahnikluver
I have always had a weakness for the French accent but the Dutch accent is oh so sexy to me....but my bf is Dutch so that makes me a bit bias now.

When we were in Paris I LOVED hearing everyone speak. I think he felt slightly threatened with my love of the French and their accents.

I also love the Aussie accent!!!

Haha, the Dutch accent always sounds friendly to me, and I love the French accent when speaking English as well

I've also got a massive soft spot for the Polish girls accent at my local store...

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I'm a sucker for a British accent. Whether it's the classy Elizabeth Hurley style, or the rude and crass Spice Girls style. Either or just....yep.

Southern belle accent is a close second though...

I'd say Australian, but that's just a variant of British also.

On the flip side, Spanish is like nails on a chalkboard to me ( I mean, just take a break and use a damn PAUSE once in a while, it's language, not a race). Any of the gutteral languages (German, Russian, Klingon) are just about equally distasteful, sorry.

It would be a shame to be considered racist to appreciate and admire another's culture and dialect.

Is it racist to dislike someone wearing pants hanging off their ass? This is all about what we find aesthetically (or phonically) pleasing. It has no bearing on my views on a people, or their culture. And, I can dislike someone's culture, and not be racist (I believe). If others view it that way, well....that's their problem, not mine.

edit on 16-4-2018 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join