It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alcohol and 'the law'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Haha the "intoxicated" law, it's the same In England, illegal to serve someone who is drunk.
How nightclub bar land gets away with it goodness only knows! Pretty much everyone is drunk after 9pm here on the weekend

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Its pretty strange the way arbitrary laws end up working out.

We used to drive out to a pumpjack or water station at the end of some country road, stare at the stars, etc etc....

No one goes out there at night.

UK law regarding alcohol is certainly strange. You can feed your 5 year old child vodka at home but get a 20 grand fine buying 4 beers for 2 big lads who are weeks away from turning 18. Even more strange is I could legally buy them alcohol at the pub across the street so long as I ordered a plate of fries at the same time.

I was in nightclubs age 15, the rule was simply behave and the bouncers ignored you. I chuckled the other day when my mates 18 year old daughter was complaining about 'kids' being in a certain club which annoyed her, I reminded her she was one of those kids for the previous 3 years.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   

We call that the "Hey Mr." tactic in the States. My now alcoholic buddy used to do it all the time when he was under 21.
edit on 29-3-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I'll let you buy me beer and fries any time.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Sorry to hear your mate is addicted, alcohol is a dangerous drug for sure.
The 'hey mister' racket is sewn up in these parts by local kids who supply the foreign students with booze, pot, whatever, it is actually quite an industry, must be in the tens of thousands of £'s each year.
EDIT
Just did a guestimation and if every foreign student here each year spent 100 quid on booze or pot during their stay then it is in the millions to the local economy.
edit on 29-3-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
I'll let you buy me beer and fries any time.

ha
Haha cool, shout me when you're next in these parts!

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   

TBH, the alcohol is the least of my worries with him. He just happens to be an alcoholic in addition to his other... problems...

But yeah, you see this tactic a lot in tourist towns like beach cities where high school students or not quite of age yet college students come on vacation and then want to get drunk.

PS: When I was in the Army, shortly before being deployed to Iraq my family want to Key West. I was 20 at the time and we went on a booze cruise sunset boat trip. It had a keg on board and you could get refills as long as you were on the boat. My dad went up to the boat driver, told him my situation and the guy was like, "hell yeah he can drink!"

Also, another trick to get served when under age is to grab a bunch of empty bottles off of a random bar table, walk up to a bar with them and order another. Many to most bartenders will just serve you without thinking since it looks like you are returning your empty bottles and therefore must have already been carded.
edit on 29-3-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Gosh, big love to your mate if alcoholism is the least of their worries. x
EDIT
Just seen your edit, Shh, don't give secrets of the trade away!
Local kids here need to make a living.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Haha touche!

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Update:
I just bumped into the two foreign student lads again while at the store, they got sorted out after all, a local 18 year old charged them £10 to purchase their alcohol lol.
They were happy enough and chuckled that the black market here supplying students must be a huge money maker. It really is, must be in the millions each year to the local economy. The ten quid that local charged them will be spent locally, probably on a gramme of pot, but the pot dealer spends their money in the local store as well, so everyone is a winner.

EDIT
As an aside, the foreign students are generally more wealthy than the average person of the same age here local. The Chinese and Arabs especially, they are minted, and some of the biggest customers wishing to buy alcohol and other substances. I wonder what bull# they tell their parents while doing a facetime convo, lol.

posted on Apr, 7 2018 @ 02:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
Haha you probably get this thread then!

very much so, i still have a toe in the industry as well but only as a DJ these days.

Actually, from a lot of your posts I've thought you were actually a wayward friend of mine, right up until I saw a post about you driving, Cornish John (or probably just John down there, haha) doesn't drive.
edit on 7/4/18 by djz3ro because: to fix the quote

posted on Apr, 7 2018 @ 02:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro

originally posted by: schuyler
But yeah, alcohol laws are so unfair.

I just think UK legislation is odd. Did you know that it is legal for a parent to allow their child to drink alcohol from age 5?
Why 5? 4 years and 11 months illegal, but 5 is cool lol.

From age 6 I got a glass of wine with my Christmas Dinner, every year, courtesy of my Mum...

Ah I love this!
My memories are sherry from my Gran

My Grandma was teetotal apart from a Sherry, at Harvey's Bristol Cream was her favourite. There was also a bottle, split into two sides one white one very dark brown or black but i was very young. i got a tiny sip once. i also remember getting the foam off my Dad's pint in the pub or a tiny sip of lager when he was watching football when i was 7

posted on Apr, 7 2018 @ 02:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
a reply to: ttropia
I drank HUGE quantities of Corona as a child. But in my country this was a well-known brand of soft drink. They did a very good orangeade, amongst others.

I was thinking about that the other day. Once a week we'd get the Lemonade Man turn up outside my Gran's house we'd get Bon-Accord (Aberdeen Based) Lemonade and Cola and Corona Orangeade in glass bottles. I think it was probably Hayes after Bon Accord shut down.

posted on Apr, 7 2018 @ 02:51 AM
link   
In america jesus demands age 21 be the drinking age

posted on Apr, 7 2018 @ 02:54 AM
link   

So what's the age limit where you are? 21 seems ridiculous to me, unless of course there is evidence that the 21 rule actually stops young people from drinking. Personally I don't believe it and I suspect it merely pushes the drinking into secret unregulated environments like house parties.

Nope! No evidence that it helps in any way shape or form. But hey, people do it anyways. I think its just there to sell more alcohol, like most laws. There there for some reason or other having to do with moneys.

After all if you give a 15 year old some wine with dinner like its no big deal, he or she is likely to make a squinchy face and stop drinking that vile swill for likely all there teen years and then some just because it does not taste good. It would have left a very bad first impression, only to be found again some time latter in life when there much older.

But if you make it illegal and make movies about house parties, now all of a sudden people want to try it.

Even though it is all overrated. Every country and place has there peculiar laws, for all sorts of wacky and silly reasons. I would say all are equally a$$ backwards as the next. So in all that, its all equally inferior and meaningless.

posted on Apr, 7 2018 @ 02:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: DerBeobachter

But it should be forbidden, i tell you, i saw so much people ending up as alcoholics, some even in jail because they did things on alcohol they would never had done without alcohol. Every second crime is done by alcoholized perpetrators, people are killed by drunken drivers, kids start to drink younger and younger, masses of people get ill(mentally and physically) because of alcohol. Because you can buy alcohol everywhere. And cheap! And everybody can get it, even kids under ten years will find their alcohol, if they search for it.

That's going a bit far, what about responsible drinkers? The people you describe are vastly in the minority. I do understand there's a problem, the Emergency Services of many Nations are stretched beyond breaking most weekends due to social drinking. I don't even drink that often but it's nice to have the choice.

originally posted by: DerBeobachter
They should forbid alcohol today and legalize Cannabis, the world would be a better one tomorrow

I agree with the latter of your proposal...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join