It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alcohol and 'the law'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

originally posted by: schuyler
But yeah, alcohol laws are so unfair.

I just think UK legislation is odd. Did you know that it is legal for a parent to allow their child to drink alcohol from age 5?
Why 5? 4 years and 11 months illegal, but 5 is cool lol.

No, I did not know that. I thought we were discussing teen drinking. All I did is tell you what I did as a teen. It was very common for my age group to do this, i.e.: Drink irresponsibly, aided and abetted by adults who broke the law by furnishing us alcohol. Any time you have age as a factor in allowing a certain behavior, there are going to be people at age minus 1 month who are not yet eligible. And it can be a much bigger deal than just drinking. For example, a 17 year old boy and a 16 year and 11 month old girl engaging in sexual activity. On one side its okay; on the other it's rape. They don't seem to give waivers for that sort of thing.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ttropia
UK's Corona was not an alcohol. So the second half of my post was deflating the first half.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

That's funny because I could see why you would think that and I was laughing when I seen this thread pop up. Irony.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   

I rarely post online and this is the first time I remember being questioned about something I actually did and cant prove. Mind blown! I know how the UFOers feel now. lol

Its 21 YO and I live in OK, USA

edit on 28-3-2018 by ttropia because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

originally posted by: lordcomac
Even if the poor fellow just got back from two years of service in the marines, experiencing things no man should have to experience.

Gosh that's insane isn't it. Can die for your country but can't buy a pint.

Did things change? We used to be able to go to the Eclub and buy beer on base at 18. Of course you were relegated to being on base at that time.

to the OP: You did the right thing. You're not a jerk for refusing. The potential risk outweighs the potential "good deed" you were considering.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: kelbtalfenek

to the OP: You did the right thing. You're not a jerk for refusing. The potential risk outweighs the potential "good deed" you were considering.

I want to strongly second this. You did not know or have guardianship over these guys. If the laws are wrong, lets change them not break them.

and to clarify my oxymoron, My property my rules. Period

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 04:42 PM
link   

In the U.S. most states were between 18-19 to legally drink. Then a bunch of MADD mothers decided citizens should have less rights so the Federal Government ransomed highway funds to the state in exchange for 'willingly' changing their drinking age to 21.

Now, you must realize that here in Ohio the voters decided on 19 instead of 18 with the premise being to keep alcohol out of high schools. I don't know if I agreed with 19 over 18, but the VOTERS decided this and then the Feds came in and overrode all states.

I know I was grandfathered so I could drink in college, but my younger sister missed the cutoff by 9 freaking days so all of us would go out to bars and clubs to hang out and she was left behind because of 9 days. Mind you she is an adult at 20 by any other standard, but she was left out because the stupid Feds.

Just one more reason I hate the Feds and people that try to take rights away from my fellow citizens. The fact that it doesn't affect you is no excuse. Stop trying to take each others rights away for goodness sake.

/rant off

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   
"Just one more reason I hate my Parents and people that try to take rights away from my fellow friends. The fact that it doesn't affect you is no excuse. Stop trying to take my rights away for goodness sake."

-- Not my daughter

here in lies the problem

In the U.S. most states were between 18-19 to legally drink. Then a bunch of MADD mothers decided citizens should have less rights so the Federal Government ransomed highway funds to the state in exchange for 'willingly' changing their drinking age to 21.

Schools in Oklahoma had the option of Federal guidelines or no lunch funding. We are free to not comply but your tax dollars go to States that comply.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Germany: 16 for beer and whine, 18 for the harders stuff. At least when i was younger, i don´t care for alcohol and don´t know if something changed.

But it should be forbidden, i tell you, i saw so much people ending up as alcoholics, some even in jail because they did things on alcohol they would never had done without alcohol. Every second crime is done by alcoholized perpetrators, people are killed by drunken drivers, kids start to drink younger and younger, masses of people get ill(mentally and physically) because of alcohol. Because you can buy alcohol everywhere. And cheap! And everybody can get it, even kids under ten years will find their alcohol, if they search for it.

They should forbid alcohol today and legalize Cannabis, the world would be a better one tomorrow!

Too funny, german news right now, they say that we germans drink too much and that the costs in the healthcare system explode because of that problem.

That every german drinks around a bathtub full of alcohol per year, as they said right now.
74.000 die every year because of alcohol, 1,8 millions are officially known as alcoholics in Germany. I bet the real number is much, much higher.

Alcohol is the hell of a drug, some say that the withdrawal symptoms are harder than those of a heroin withdrawal!

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   
OTP

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Brilliant replies from around the world, thank you.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: DerBeobachter
every german drinks around a bathtub full of alcohol per year, as they said right now.

So in other words... da Germans are total lightweights, yeah?

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 09:29 PM
link   
There is no age limit on malt and yeast.
Tell them to get off their ass and make some beer.
It's not rocket science.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

Thank you-thank you-thank you.

I was beginning to think every poster on here had gone mad.

Feeling guilty for not providing booze to underage teengers? Are you mad?

Alcohol kills. Plain and simple. Look it up. Talk to doctors.

I know too many family members who have died from alcoholism and ruined their lives and others.

Being libertarian-this is a hard one for me. Cannabis-no problem unless driving etc. But it killed my brilliant grandfather; ruined my brother's life and those he loved-killed my father in law.

And you feel guilty-is this some sort of rite of passage?

I don't drink and raised my adult children with the stories of how alcoholism can be in your dna-and it's in ours. They don't drink but in this society you do have to worry about the other drunks on the road.

Sorry, op. Major disconnect for me. Helping teenagers get booze makes you feel guilty? Mind blown.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 12:30 AM
link   
21 to buy booze unless you are in the military and then its easy to get.

At 16 i learned how to ferment different fruit juices to make jack.

My grandfather was a shiner and by the time i was in the navy i had a still made from a large coffee maker like the military uses.
Did not make much but it was fun to make brandies from the fruit juices.

I had a friend who had hair turning white by the time he turned 18.
never got carded.
edit on 29-3-2018 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 12:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Justso

Yep, the lads wanted a few beers chilling by the ocean and was a month too young to be legal.
I didn't buy them it and yep I felt bad I had to say no. #ing drama queen, couple of beers he could legally buy in 3 weeks and still be a teenager. I imagine you support the 21 age limit like in America.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 01:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

Alcohol is responsible for something like three million deaths a year worldwide. It removes inhibitions that normally stop us from stupid behavior. Teenagers are already prone to bad decisions due to the part of their brains that allow for critical thinking skills not maturing until they are older.

What sane person would suggest that kids getting drunk is a good thing? Kids might believe that, but no mature adult would.

I know, I made all the mistakes when I was young and stupid and I've watched many lives ruined or snuffed out as a direct result of kids drinking. I'm lucky I survived.

Sorry I missed this at the bottom of the page.
The crazy thing about UK law is they could have come into the pub across the street from the the supermarket and I could have legally bought them alcohol so long as I ordered a plate of fries at the same time. That's legal from age 16.
But 4 cans of beer from the supermarket to chill at the beach is against the law lol

EDIT
The law is silly, I could get them hammered drunk in the pub legally but I couldn't buy them four cans of beer to enjoy while sitting at the beach thinking of their families back in Portugal.
edit on 29-3-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 05:52 AM
link   

I know in Long Beach they raised the curfew from 2 am to 4 am,the powers to be own liquor distribution centers,I have a friend who is loosing mind and life from liquor at 61,but I guess it's socially acceptable to be a drunk,all about the sin tax,no dispensarys in the city,they are afraid might bring wrong element?a bunch of drunks?,I( give up

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Its pretty strange the way arbitrary laws end up working out.

We used to drive out to a pumpjack or water station at the end of some country road, stare at the stars, etc etc....

No one goes out there at night.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 07:05 AM
link   

I hate these stupid laws on substances and beverages , #in ridiculous

the law should not be able to tell you what you can and cant put into your own body!

even not allowed to make your own alcohol , WHY ?

just because it cant be taxed , taxes are a joke , I have to pay taxes, in a democracy , yet have no say on what my taxes are spent on , for example Id rather not pay taxes which contribute to weapons of war!

laws on alcohol and cigarettes are a joke , yeh you can legally fight and die for your country but cant drink a beer or even buy cigarettes , but your legally sanctioned to kill for your country !

I am so fed up with "democracy" its all total bull# illusions

Check out the current licensing law in Scotland, you can legally serve alcohol to anyone of age in a bar , but as soon as they are drunk , they are no longer legally allowed to drink alcohol , so must be asked to leave or not be served!
and if you do serve them you are committing a crime . So its up to the individual barman/women to determine their drunkness
and then decide if they should be served.
So basically you are done drinking the moment you are drunk because otherwise you are committing a crime
so Ive no idea how pubs even operate under the law , either everyone is really good at handlign their booze or every barman/women in the UK is a liar
edit on 29-3-2018 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join