It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alcohol and 'the law'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI
Ah I don't know to be fair, I'm just musing in public.
I totally get what you say, I guess I'm just mocking UK law because those two lads earlier (from Portugal) could have done me if they wanted to, 6'2" and 6'1" athletic boys. And the mad thing is I could have bought them booze at the pub with a plate of fries, or fed them any alcohol if they were my kids and aged 5 or older at home.
I just couldn't legally buy them 4 beers to chill with at the beach. Lame law.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

You were right to refuse to buy them alcohol... They'll have plenty of time to get wasted, by legally purchasing it on their own, in a few months time!

Besides... if they have any kind of initiative, they would have already worked out a far more effective way of hooking up their booze, than asking random people on the street.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
Besides... if they have any kind of initiative, they would have already worked out a far more effective way of hooking up their booze, than asking random people on the street.

It is a common thing here, foreign students bring millions into this region, young British people make money supplying them. It is an actual business model as screwed up as that sounds.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: vinifalou

Haha cheers
There are other substances I would say are far superior in effect to alcohol, for sure.

Well, you live in Cornwall, I hear mushy season is quite long down there...

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro
Always mushy season in these parts

...for clarity and site terms/conditions, I mean mushy love

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
But yeah, alcohol laws are so unfair.

I just think UK legislation is odd. Did you know that it is legal for a parent to allow their child to drink alcohol from age 5?
Why 5? 4 years and 11 months illegal, but 5 is cool lol.

From age 6 I got a glass of wine with my Christmas Dinner, every year, courtesy of my Mum...

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Have publicans started asking for ID now? Otherwise, if the lads looked old enough, they might have tried it on themselves.
As far as I know (unless that has changed as well), the legal penalties are on the pub management, so the only risk they faced was not being served.

I remember a family visit to Mont St. Michel, getting separated from the rest, and buying a "biere" from one of the stalls going up the hill. Being only 17, I felt very daring. I would be disappointed now if I discovered that the purchase had been legal at the time.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I dont drink at all But even I say 18 old enough to die for the country old enough to drink .
What I dont get is 18 is also old enough to vote why are these youngsters not doing so ?

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro

I just think UK legislation is odd. Did you know that it is legal for a parent to allow their child to drink alcohol from age 5?

From age 6 I got a glass of wine with my Christmas Dinner, every year, courtesy of my Mum...

Ah I love this!
My memories are sherry from my Gran

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Tesco's bummed them out, it wasn't happening for them without a buyer lol.
I was gutted for them to be fair, if they'd been my lads I could have legally given them 4 beers to chill at the beach.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Have publicans started asking for ID now?

Most places in the UK that sell booze operate a challenge 25 scheme, if you look under 25 you get asked for ID to prove you're over 18, this prevents most people who look older from getting served. It not like my Dad's era when he went to the pub at 14, they sat in the lounge and if the red light flashed, the police were in the main bar and they have to leave, immediately, through the back door...

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Ah I love this!
My memories are sherry from my Gran

My Mum also bought my booze for me from age 15 for the weekend, two of my friends' mums did the same, so they knew what we were drinking, most of the time anyway

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Most places in the UK that sell booze operate a challenge 25 scheme, if you look under 25 you get asked for ID to prove you're over 18, this prevents most people who look older from getting served. It not like my Dad's era when he went to the pub at 14, they sat in the lounge and if the red light flashed, the police were in the main bar and they have to leave, immediately, through the back door...

Gosh maybe I'm old as well then, I remember the days as a 15 year old and so long as I was behaving myself in the nightclub then bouncers gave me a pass. I love that my own child experienced a similar world...even if the twat rolled the car.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Gosh maybe I'm old as well then, I remember the days as a 15 year old and so long as I was behaving myself in the nightclub then bouncers gave me a pass. I love that my own child experienced a similar world...even if the twat rolled the car.

I'm 40, the reason I know this isi I've done every job you can in a nightclub from Glass Collector to Licensee, including an 18 year stint as a bouncer
edit on 28/3/18 by djz3ro because: Remove extra lefters

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   
A lady I may or may not know, that may or not be 18 yet, that may or may not be from my loin... Just asked me for a 12 of Corona. I said yes my love! No problem. What that translates too is, she has never hidden it from me and a 12 pack lasts 2 months under her bed. With that being said, I have a big problem with under age stupid.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   

I'm 40, the reason I know this isi I've done every job you can in a nightclub from Glass Collector to Licensee, including an 18 year stint as a bouncer

Haha you probably get this thread then!

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Walking home just now I was approached by two young foreign students asking me to buy alcohol. We have thousands of English language students here every year so it is not uncommon to be asked.
"Hi, would you please buy alcohol for us, I'm 18 next month"
"Sorry no, it's a potential £20,000 fine for me if I do that"
"There are no police around"
"I know, but I can't take the risk sorry"

I went on my way but genuinely was sorry I had to say no. In the UK it is legal to drink alcohol from age 16 if served with a meal, just a plate of fries will suffice at the pub. These young lads just wanted a few beers at the beach, but being 17 and 11 months it is illegal so I had to say no.
Crazy laws though, my son came out with me regularly aged 16, we'd just order food as well so it was totally legal.
Anyway, I'm troubled that I seemed a meanie saying no, but if it had been simply store policy not a 20 grand fine I would probably have bought them the beers. They seemed sensible lads who just wanted to chill with a pint.

So what's the age limit where you are? 21 seems ridiculous to me, unless of course there is evidence that the 21 rule actually stops young people from drinking. Personally I don't believe it and I suspect it merely pushes the drinking into secret unregulated environments like house parties.
Still gutted for the two foreign students, I remember being turned down trying to get served when I was 17 lol.

Meh...they just weren't resourceful enough. I had no problem getting beer any time I wanted from about 16....in fact the only time i've been turned down was after I was legal but my ID had expired and the clerk felt like being a dick.
edit on 28/3/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ttropia
I drank HUGE quantities of Corona as a child. But in my country this was a well-known brand of soft drink. They did a very good orangeade, amongst others.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   

No big deal was it? Some time making a deal out of things exacerbates it.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ttropia
I don't believe you, I think you just made that up.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join