It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One way of defining the Christian God

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Not remotely. It is only imperfect if your conception of God is as a universal consciousness that we're all part of instead of as a separate being who is cultivating a group of others for His purposes. The seed refers to faith.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The seed refers to faith.

Just as the ocean refers to consciousness in my analogy. My analogy is no more imperfect than Jesus' many parables were. If the argument is that the ocean isn't a perfect 1:1 representation of consciousness then a mustard seed is not a perfect 1:1 representation of faith either because faith isn't literally a mustard seed.
edit on 3/18/2018 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

There are many distinct consciousnesses much like there are many distinct water droplets in an ocean, that doesn't make them not part of the ocean though. A water droplet on the coast of South Carolina doesn't move in the same way as one on the African coast yet they are still part of the same ocean.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I come back to the point that a consciousness does not communicate and have a personal relationship with parts of itself.
Only with distinct and separate consciousnesses.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   

In that case there is no such thing as "self-consciousness". If consciousness cannot have a relationship with itself then there is no such thing as self-awareness, yet you are self-aware. Being self-aware is a relationship and connection to yourself. A consciousness can most definitely have a personal relationship with itself and even parts of itself. Your psyche has many different aspects and I'm sure you're well aware of many of them.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
Being self-aware is a relationship and connection to yourself.

But not with parts of yourself, which are distinctly self-conscious in their own right. That is the difference.
Nobody talks to a part of himself and expects an answer.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   

So you don't think God can have self-conscious parts within himself? I thought all things were possible with God?

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   
We are talking here about what is logically possible, and about what is happening.

The Bible claims to record communication setting up a relationship, and the existence of a relationship implies a distinction between the two sides of the relationship.

edit on 18-3-2018 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   

There is no "distinction" between sides in Jesus' words.

John 17
21 I pray that they will all be one, just as you and I are one—as you are in me, Father, and I am in you. And may they be in us so that the world will believe you sent me. 22 I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one— 23 I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.

Jesus spoke of unity and oneness, there is no distinction between supposed sides when someone comes to unity.
edit on 3/18/2018 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Why is God disconnected from His fingers?

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   
In the first place, notice the tenses. You are quoting a request that they become one, which in itself implies that they are not one now.So that again demonstrates my point that there is a distinction.

In the second place, this is not about merging consciousnesses and becoming a single individual. If it meant that, it would also mean that the individual humans would be merging into one consciousness, and nobody gives it that interpretation
This is more about corporate unity between distinct individuals, as when people join the same group and overcome previous hostilities.
And in that event the corporate unity does not have a distinct consciousness and does not have a conscious relationship with individual members.
The point is that consciousness does not communicate with parts of itself. It communicates with, and has a relationship with, other distinct consciousnesses.

edit on 18-3-2018 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
"God" does not reveal itself through a book, "God" reveals itself through your act of existence.

"God is light", correct? Do you see the light? I do. Most "look" at it but do not "see" it for what it truly is. The bible (and any other religious/spiritual text) can help to guide you to the truth but is not the truth within itself, it is only a tool that, when read in the correct context, will always lead back to you and your very own direct experience of life in the here and now.

I think you forgot to mention other people in the church
Yes a book does help reveal God, other people are very important, a good church and healthy spiritual Christian friends, throw in the Holy Spirit, other incidentals as well.

Just the "book" and yourself, that's a bad combination,on its own

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
God is creator of all. The end.

Did God create evil or is evil a byproduct of freewill?

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman
I suggest that evil is not a "thing", but a state of affairs within the created world. So the second answer fits better.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   
God is justice
That's an important point about The Fathers identity
Through out the Old Testament we see God dispensing justice and love, working out ways that He could accommodate His own people even in their sin, even when they did or wanted things God didn't want
God is love

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Ok, I see you Apparently got your Hands on some Righteous Weed . This Topic has been Debated for Thousands of Years , and Each Generation Adds to the Mix . BRAVO Mankind !

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Body Of Christ ........

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit
I don't understand your first sentence.
This is the re-posting of an old response to an old thread.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
I suggest that evil is not a "thing", but a state of affairs within the created world. So the second answer fits better.

No argument, but evil is an issue we see in this world and has to be explained, has to be dealt with

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   

I am Sorry , I am Old too ............)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join