It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Regents Drop Teacher Literacy Test Seen as Discriminatory

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

I agree 100%. What I think is really sad is when schools try to force the students who are highly intelligent to be like everyone else, even going so far at times as to discourage those students from using their ability just for the sake of fitting in, being like everyone else and not standing out. I've personally encountered a lot of people in life, particularly in the public school system, who absolutely hated that I had a very high intelligence.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD
Has more to do with being around people who do not pronounce words properly for so long. A lot of people spell phonetically. Over time they start spelling words like they hear there...that's the truff...

Which is what education is for. To elucidate the nuances between the phonetics and the spelling of a word, for a start.

Or they're would be more of there theirs, than there is now, setting eggs by a setting sun, in a setting fit for omelettes.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: WUNK22

WTF!?

Cant read or write??

What year is this? 1857?

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Assuming any two groups can do the same task equally as well as each other is a political correct blind spot. Which Doesn’t help society

Assuming that just because no two groups are equal that everyone in the one group is superior/inferior is to the other group is just as bad for society as every group is equal

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

my opinion :

because - they were giving passing grades in lower levels of education [ high school etc etc ] - DESPITE not having actually done the course work or passed the exams

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

my opinion :

because - they were giving passing grades in lower levels of education [ high school etc etc ] - DESPITE not having actually done the course work or passed the exams

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: trollz
a reply to: Boadicea

I agree 100%. What I think is really sad is when schools try to force the students who are highly intelligent to be like everyone else, even going so far at times as to discourage those students from using their ability just for the sake of fitting in, being like everyone else and not standing out. I've personally encountered a lot of people in life, particularly in the public school system, who absolutely hated that I had a very high intelligence.

Absolute truth. I watched it happen to both of my kids; and it was even worse for my daughter because she wasn't just intelligent, but beautiful as well. And I'm not talking about students, I'm talking about teachers who were more darn concerned with her looks than she was!

And it is sad -- really sad. In this quest for a false sense of "equality," we have denied everyone the opportunity to be their best. Not what someone else considers "best," but an individual's best according to their own natural talents and gifts. We all have some gift... something that we excel and thrive at... but instead of focusing on helping everyone be the best at what they do best, we try to make everyone fit into a certain box.

The worst part is that we do know how to do better, and at one time, we were trying. As I understand it, the whole purpose of the junior high education model was to identify each student's individual strengths and aptitudes in the junior high years (7th to 9th grades), so that in high school the student could "major" in those subjects they excelled in, and ultimately toward a career based upon their strengths and aptitudes. In fact, when I graduated in the '70s, virtually every student graduated with a marketable skill. From typing and steno classes to shop classes to even senior work credits, students were prepared to be responsible and productive adults in the real world by nurturing and developing their individual strong points. Some went on to college for a higher degree, some went on to vocational schools for certification, etc., but options were readily available to make the most of an individual's talents and skills.

I think this is part of the "snowflake" phenomenon we see today. Some kids thrive in the current educational system, but I would say that most don't. It's just busy work for them with no practical value. They don't feel any sense of pride or accomplishment or fulfillment. And they sure don't feel any joy. They receive no sense of self worth because it means nothing to them. It's all about living up to some else's idea of "best." So it's no wonder that they continue looking outside themselves for validation and self worth. But no one can be happy if they're always trying to live up to someone else's standards and values.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Lol trying to be the next Detroit ?

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Trump supporters are suburban and rural retards. Blue states are the most college educated.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

My gosh.

If we could stop pretending that all races are equally intelligent we could avoid about 95% of what requires discussion on this site.

This does further the agenda of creating the dumbest population possible for maximum controllability though, so i guess it all makes sense in the end.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   

That's messed up.

How the hell does that work?

How can they teach kids to be literal if they aren't proficient in literacy?

lol.

Gotta be worse in Cali, tho.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: libertytoall
this is not discrimination this is a cover for uneducated bafoons who shouldn't be teaching..

At 60K a year.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
Before we poo this....i have to wonder why the test adversely effected minorities?

Effected or affected?

Hi BFFT!

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   
This thread is affecting minds giving rise to the effect of checking posts for grammar.
edit on 3/16/2018 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD
Has more to do with being around people who do not pronounce words properly for so long. A lot of people spell phonetically. Over time they start spelling words like they hear there...that's the truff...

u means troof.

I passed my written drivers lic test in 7 mins.

Blew them 20 yo asians out of the water.

HA!

I think I aced it. You get to have 4 wrong. I gave myself 1 wrong.

edit on 3 16 2018 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   

So black and hispanic teachers who were not left behind as kids and now lack the skills to do their job, will in turn not leave more black or hispanic kids behind. This so that they too can fail to aquire the skills needed to lift their people out of the funk they are in.

Education is the key, NOT A TOKEN DIPLOMA and a job that you cant do.

Pandering real racist white people love that you need to beg for a job that you know you dont deserve and will never get paid the going rate for. Why should you? If you make too much noise complaining you might expose just how incompetent you are at your job. Who are you telling on? lol

Good luck. My kids will be smarter than their teachers. Thats not on them or me. Its on the teachers. Get ready I say. The black and hispanic community is about to get lapped while they run around with social change that white elites designed just for them.

I met my kids teachers. The white ones from Connecticut that got a real education run the school. The ones that got a job based off things other than merit are the slackers stuck in every ones way.

I guess the teachers from our own neighborhoods are retarded.

PLEASE, prove me wrong.

edit on 3 16 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   
If a teacher cannot read or write they have no business being a teacher.

How did they get the necessary qualifications in the first place?

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   

When you set sub standard goals you will end up with sub standard results.

As some leftist have stated numerous times on ATS, Democrats are more likely to become teachers than Republicans. According to studies, this is true. In fact, in some areas of education, it is an overwhelming advantage of Democrats in teaching positions. As this interactive chart shows, in the teaching field overall, there are 79 Democrats for every 21 Republicans. In the area of math there are 85 Democrats to every 15 Republicans. Science shows 87 Democrats to every 13 Republicans. English teachers show 97 Democrats to every 3 Republicans. So, as the Democrats have stated, they "own" the education profession.

So, it came as no surprise, the United States continues to decline in overall rankings in education. Isn't it time to stop making excuses for those who are incapable of higher achievements especially in the education field? Discrimination and racism has been used as an excuse for far too long.

Democrats are quick to stand on their soapbox preaching about being the party of progress and change. What they fail to acknowledge during their soapbox tirades is the progress is going backwards and the change is for the worse.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

Doncha gnowe?

Protecting someone's feelings is more important than literacy

This is 2018 bruh

edit on 16-3-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   
As a former certified teacher, I think this shouldn't be so. Those who teach need to be qualified. The standards are already low enough for entering the field. Also, anyone who studies for the various certification tests should pass them. I over studied for my science teacher cert thinking it would be harder but it was easy. The hard part was putting in several years teaching full time to fulfill the requirements.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join