It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Regents Drop Teacher Literacy Test Seen as Discriminatory

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 05:33 AM
link   
New York State has cut down a literacy test for incoming teachers because apparently it is "discriminatory" !

Specifically, Black and Hispanic passed the test at lower rates that Whites !

I wonder why college degrees vary ?

Teachers failing literacy tests is so bazaar 😐

Maybe in today's society, it doesn't matter anyway right?

Colleges are businesses aren't they?

Regents Drop Teacher Literacy Test Seen as Discriminatory

The Board of Regents on Monday eliminated a requirement that aspiring teachers in New York State pass a literacy test to become certified after the test proved controversial because black and Hispanic candidates passed it at significantly lower rates than white candidates.

The Regents also moved forward with a proposal that would allow some students who failed another test, aimed at evaluating practical skills like lesson planning and assessment, to be certified as teachers based on their grades and professors’ recommendations.

Together, the steps signal how much the Regents’ approach has changed under the current chancellor, Betty A. Rosa, after several years of efforts to raise the bar for entering the profession.

+11 more 
posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Maybe they were axed hard questions, and that's not fair.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 05:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: badw0lf

Or the English language has evolved faster than the Universities 😎

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 05:37 AM
link   
this is not discrimination this is a cover for uneducated bafoons who shouldn't be teaching..

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Dis posts bez racisiss and shieeeeetttt! Girlfriend of mine works at Bronx election board, many of the employees can’t read or write. Any comment about this will have strong repercussions, and labeled yourself a racist up for review. By the way, wanna see real racism, work there as a white woman, the abuse is allowed because everyone fears that R label!

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 06:07 AM
link   
U rly xpect them to spl & read cmplt wrds in an age of txtg?

Hell, 140 characters on Twitter seems to be a challenge for many.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 06:19 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

When a medium was created to say things in under 140 characters, ie; just thoughts, but is used to write novels, we end up with people justifying spelling mistakes and 1337 speek because "U NO WOT DEY MEAN RITE?"

I still smack people for using it. more and more I'm the bad guy..

But I will never join them... lol

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 06:21 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Maybe in today's society, it doesn't matter anyway right?

Colleges are businesses aren't they?

Engineering graduates build bridges that fall down, don't they?

Or was it minimum wage workers that didn't graduate?

Literally, illiterate, literacy, who needs it.

It costs more to build a faulty bridge, then clean up the mess and replace it anyway.

Business as usual.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Before we poo this....i have to wonder why the test adversely effected minorities?

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

Forsoof. So dey got da axe. Dis is New York. Gotta problem wif it talk to me outside. I show you my Mastas degree.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
Before we poo this....i have to wonder why the test adversely effected minorities?

The only reason for inability to read and write at the same level is lower intelligence. Everybody knows it but is terrified to point it out for fear of being called racist and losing their career. Blacks and Hispanics simply have lower average IQ than Whites and Asians, like it or not.
The university I'm currently attending is in an area with a huge black population. This university accepts just about anyone... All you need to do is pass the entrance testing. But there's a problem... Can you see where this is going? It turns out that by having entrance testing involving basic reading and writing skills, most of the students end up being either White or Hispanic, because most of the blacks aren't able to pass the entrance tests. Of those that do, many end up failing their classes and dropping out. Guess what one of the university's proposed solutions is? Get rid of the writing portion of the entrance testing altogether so that more are able to join.
How do I know this? I was asked to participate in a project where I'm working with one of the admins to find ways to prevent so many of the students of "certain demographics" from constantly failing and dropping out. Instead of simply acknowledging that the black students don't perform at the same level as everyone else, the university is jumping through hoops and spending money trying to figure out how to make everything easier to accommodate them so that their statistics better reflect "diversity".

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

I was about to tell you to be careful, as pulling any logical hypothesis from the presented data will get you called a racist nazi- but it would seem Trollz found a much more eloquent way to present my take on this-

Just maybe, perhaps, not everyone is created equal.

I've always been bothered by that- being told everyone is created equal. We're not. The # head welfare heroin junkies that used to live next door to me were not equal to me, or any functional member of society. Why should I believe they are?

Giving someone of lesser intelligence a position of education (or any position, really) based on skin color alone is racist. By definition, even.

Why doesn't our society see that? Why can they only see things as racist when they hinder someone who isnt white, or help someone who IS white- but if a school board goes out and gives free money to people based on skin color (happens every day) it isn't considered racist?

This whole thing is broken.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac

I've always been bothered by that- being told everyone is created equal.

It's like this:
Some people can run faster than others. Some people can lift heavier weights than others. Some people can see better than others. Some people have better immune systems than others. There is no such thing as equality, and like any other part of the human body, such as the muscles, eyes, immune system etc, human beings have different brains. That's just nature. People will be quick to claim "racism" for saying IQ is just one thing linked to race, but nobody calls the Olympics racist when every sprinter is black:

edit on 3/16/2018 by trollz because: typo

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Based on my own experience (confirmation bias?) I doubt this is simply a minority problem... White applicants may perform better on the tests than minorities, but I'd bet if we really dug into the numbers that the White folks aren't doing so great themselves. Education is failing everyone.

My son was a freshman in high school when the state introduced the AIMs testing for students to graduate. My son passed the test the first time it was given to him. And when he found out that something like 80% of teachers FAILED that same test, he lost a whole lot of respect for teachers in general. And so did I. Of course, it wasn't just this test which made me lose respect for educators, but this sure didn't help.

If I had kids today, they would be homeschooled. No doubts about it. And if/when I have grandkids, I will gladly homeschool them... if their parents let me!

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Standards are discriminatory?

I guess equality is also discriminatory.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
I'd bet if we really dug into the numbers that the White folks aren't doing so great themselves. Education is failing everyone.

You'd be right, average White IQ is basically around 100, which isn't very high at all. It's not about education though, that has nothing to do with it. Intelligence and education are two completely different things, with minor exceptions. You can't increase intelligence through education, you can only increase knowledge.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: trollz

originally posted by: lordcomac

I've always been bothered by that- being told everyone is created equal.

It's like this:
Some people can run faster than others. Some people can lift heavier weights than others. Some people can see better than others. Some people have better immune systems than others. There is no such thing as equality, and like any other part of the human body, such as the muscles, eyes, immune system etc, human beings have different brains. That's just nature. People will be quick to claim "racism" for saying IQ is just one thing linked to race, but nobody calls the Olympics racist when every sprinter is black:

And THAT, right there, is my point.

Based on the OP, the black teachers wouldn't be teachers if teachers had to pass the literacy exams.
In the olympics, only the fastest people get to compete- race doesn't matter. Why does it matter EVERYWHERE else?

I live in an area where we have very few african americans. Tons of importes folks from somalia, but they stick to the city where there's free money. Now, in my life, I've met one african american who worked in my line of work. Just one. A few years later, we both wound up competing for a job opening, and he was chosen hands down, without consideration. Why?
The company was owned by a national company, and has race policies stating they need to hire some percentage of non white people, and our region wasn't compliant. THAT'S RACIST. And it pisses me off. A few years after that, I wound up working for that company anyway, with him. Turns out, I'm way better at his job than he is- and I was far more qualified for the position than he was.

He got the job because of his skin color, because our system has racist laws in place... and people call me racist when I point those racist laws out, because those laws are anti-white.

Not everyone is created equal.
I can't run- and I can't throw. I can't jump, and I don't play any sports because I suck at them. If you suck at being literate, you shouldn't be teaching. Race shouldn't come into play, but here we are... I'm the racist because I want people to be given equal treatment. Stop pretending the guy in the wheelchair might be the best fit for your lineman position. He isn't. He can't effectively do the job.
New york state is going the wrong direction. They should be increasing the literacy requirements for educators. Illiterate teachers can't produce literate students. This is insanity. A hundred and fifty years ago the local population would run that states governing body out with torches and pitchforks for being stupid.

Absolute nonsense.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Has more to do with being around people who do not pronounce words properly for so long. A lot of people spell phonetically. Over time they start spelling words like they hear there...that's the truff...

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

It's not about education though, that has nothing to do with it. Intelligence and education are two completely different things, with minor exceptions. You can't increase intelligence through education, you can only increase knowledge.

You make a good point. But I also think that we don't do enough to recognize and identify the various ways by which students learn, nor to maximize an individual's capacity to learn. Ideally, the more senses used in learning the better one learns -- hearing (as in a lecture or film), seeing (notes on a chalkboard or a film), touch (taking notes), etc. One glaring example is how we teach kids to read. When my son started kindergarten, I shocked his teacher when I asked her if she would be teaching phonics or whole language... she told me their reading program integrated both methods, adapted from the New Zealand model (who had the highest literacy rates in the world at that time). Likewise, our schools had a very high literacy rate among students -- it worked!

With today's technology, we could do so much to optimize education for individual needs. Some students thrive at self-study, and could quickly advance in their studies if not held to a structured curriculum that has to serve the needs of other students as well. Let those students do their thing online, and free up the time and talents of teachers to help the students who thrive on the personalized attention in brick-and-mortars.

Unfortunately, these days it seems that schools are about anything and everything EXCEPT actually educating our students...

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Namdru
a reply to: badw0lf

Forsoof. So dey got da axe. Dis is New York. Gotta problem wif it talk to me outside. I show you my Mastas degree.

See you on da ousay... How bow Dah !!

lol

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join