It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Regents Drop Teacher Literacy Test Seen as Discriminatory

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I guess we should just get used to the idea of even more people not knowing where to put a damned apostrophe, or what form of "there / their / they're" is appropriate in what context.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I'm a former educator. Whites and Asians have higher rates of everything from high school graduation to college readiness. The group with the highest high school drop out rate is native Americans for example. However, much of these issues intersect with poverty and related issues. Just as, many impoverished whites don't do as well Which is why people have to be careful.
a reply to: Boadicea

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14
I'm a former educator. Whites and Asians have higher rates of everything from high school graduation to college readiness.

I understand that; but my point is that the divide is decreasing and not in a good way. Rather than minorities being brought up, Whites have been brought down. The difference between intelligence levels is shrinking for all the wrong reasons.

However, much of these issues intersect with poverty and related issues. Just as, many impoverished whites don't do as well Which is why people have to be careful.
a reply to: Boadicea

Your point is well taken. One-size-never fits all. We can learn from patterns and commonalities, but they only reveal a part of the whole.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Yeah, there are many systematic issues with our Ed system. It's one reason I left the field.
edit on 16-3-2018 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   

edit on 16-3-2018 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: drewlander
Trump supporters are suburban and rural retards. Blue states are the most college educated.

But why have the "Educated" Class failed to solve the problems of education in general ?

Chicago for example is 100% "Blue" and yet they fail in education hands down.

What gives anyway ?

🎓📣

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
Before we poo this....i have to wonder why the test adversely effected minorities?

There was study done out there that showed that African-Americans (or blacks generally) did not value literacy highly. Even affluent blacks tended to not have as many books or as much reading material freely available in their homes as whites. And the same study showed that even poor whites valued reading and literacy such that they would have even some books in the home for the most part.

Whether or not children grow up to be readers and literate is in large part dependent on the behaviors they see modeled inside the home as a cultural thing. Do parents read to the children? Do children see books around them growing up? Do they see their parents reading for pleasure?

For example, even as busy as our family is, reading is a huge part of our son's bedtime routine. He reads to us now for about 10 minutes, then we each take turns reading to him from storybooks we've gotten at the library - we're into novel length books now - and finally, we have a family devotion and Bible reading. Our home is packed with all kinds of books, and he sees us reading all the time for pleasure ourselves.

Now he's reading anything and everything: captions on TV (auditory disorder so we have CC on), signs, t-shirts, labels, etc., his ability to read is growing by leaps and bounds, but he's had good role modeling in the home for it, not just work at school.

If your kids aren't exposed to a literate in-home culture, then literacy is hard. And if your culture as an ethnicity is not one that values literacy highly, then you're going to find less literate individuals in general in those populations.

And literacy is the underpinnings of modern education. If you cannot read, then your ability to learn is severely restricted in almost all other areas.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Trump supporters are suburban and rural retards. Blue states are the most college educated.

Believe the lie.

Madam President would be proud!

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
I guess we should just get used to the idea of even more people not knowing where to put a damned apostrophe, or what form of "there / their / they're" is appropriate in what context.

It's why I have a job, so I'm all for it.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Before we poo this....i have to wonder why the test adversely effected minorities?

The words were in oxford English??

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

But why have the "Educated" Class failed to solve the problems of education in general ?

Chicago for example is 100% "Blue" and yet they fail in education hands down.

What gives anyway ?

🎓📣

Because though they may be "educated", they are not as intelligent as they would have you think.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

as this is an american idiocy , wouldnt the words be :

" mirriam webster " ?????????????

the OED [ oxford english dictionary ] is the benchmark of english

our sub-human merkin " cousins " have eschewed the used of " u " as in colour , honour and attempted to replace " s " with " z" organise , realise etc

its no longer english

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

The words were in oxford English??

Olde English, mye gud Sir! Se wisa wer timbrode his hus ofer stan. Þa com þær micel flod, and þær bleowon windas, and ahruron on þæt hus, and hit ne feoll: soþlice, hit wæs ofer stan getimbrod!

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
a reply to: Xtrozero

as this is an american idiocy , wouldnt the words be :

" mirriam webster " ?????????????

the OED [ oxford english dictionary ] is the benchmark of english

our sub-human merkin " cousins " have eschewed the used of " u " as in colour , honour and attempted to replace " s " with " z" organise , realise etc

its no longer english

I refuse to say zed. Sorry.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Too many would-be teachers are not passing this test. A literacy test... For teachers... The ones ensuring literacy.

?????

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

There was study done out there that showed that African-Americans (or blacks generally) did not value literacy highly. Even affluent blacks tended to not have as many books or as much reading material freely available in their homes as whites. And the same study showed that even poor whites valued reading and literacy such that they would have even some books in the home for the most part.

I call bs on your study. And the literacy rate among black folks after slavery agree with me. Such a hater!

HOW AFRICAN AMERICANS EMERGED FROM SLAVERY WITH A HUNGER FOR EDUCATION

US Literacy Rates for Blacks, now and then

That is a good general read.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Hey Big, that is true and a good observation - and luckily that already has been wondered.

It is not the test that discriminates against the minorities, it is the minorities that do badly on the test, and there can be - and likely is - all kind of socioeconomic reasons for that.

For instance, earlier tests that were ruled to be discriminatory against blacks and hispanics (by the samne judge that ruled this one not to be, mind you), were based on the premise that all teachers need to demonstrate an understanding of liberal arts, and blacks and hispanics have never been well represented in this area, and have thus had an obvious disadvantage.

This test, the one that has been pulled, has been ruled to purely test crucial skills and to do so in a non-biased way. The reason for the difference must therefore be found outside the test itself (an likely in socioeconomics).

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

When will affirmative action be seen as racist? That is where the problem begins. it is racist to begin with, but it is not racist towards the races that benefit. Such hypocrisy.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join