It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Pedestrian bridge near Florida International University has collapsed.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   
From what I have seen being reported about the construction company, it appears they should have spent more time learning how to build bridges safely than making sure their staff was "diverse".

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

this link www.dailymail.co.uk... they were doing stress tests

this link www.dailymail.co.uk...

why did they put the bridge in place with out the center tower support and cables in place first??? talk about a clusterf#$% of gigantic po
rportions

edit on 16-3-2018 by research100 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: research100
a reply to: FlyingFox

this link www.dailymail.co.uk... they were doing stress tests

this link www.dailymail.co.uk...

why did they put the bridge in place with out the center tower support and cables in place first??? a royal clusterf$%^

Simple. For the PR! They had a grand ceremony, with press and everything. Showing how important and ingenious they all are there.

Problem was, someone didn't think of actual physics getting in the way of their celebrations.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Was reading its not the first time the company has screwed up, also that the engineers wanted to do something completely new... sometimes reinventing the wheel is not a good idea.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

www.dailymail.co.uk...

firm that built Miami bridge being sued for walkway collapse at Ft Lauderdale airport in 2016 and their partner team was charged 28 thousand dollars when 4 were injured when a section of rail bridge fell (that bridge weighted 90 tons) this happened in 2012
edit on 16-3-2018 by research100 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Do we know names of the victims yet?

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: antar

One. A FIU student driving under bridge.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

www.dailymail.co.uk...

oh my gosh...a worker called the state that there was a crack 2 days before the bridge collapsed...they never picked up the voicemail.......

sadly this would be perfect for the show "seconds from disaster"....it ran for 6 seasons...they take a real disaster and start a few days before and we see all the little things that came togethor to cause the big disaster

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 06:48 AM
link   
And this is exactly why women should not be allowed anywhere near construction sites. I don't consider myself a misogynist at all, but to deny that there aren't inherent differences between the male and female brain structures is downright ignorant.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xaphan
And this is exactly why women should not be allowed anywhere near construction sites. I don't consider myself a misogynist at all, but to deny that there aren't inherent differences between the male and female brain structures is downright ignorant.

Not sure what women have to do with this. MCM is made up of 5 brothers with a lot of political ties from what I've found online.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xaphan

You may not consider yourself a misogynist. You come off sexist regardless. To imply that men have never created or engineered faulty or substandard work comes off as ignorant.
Have a nice day anyway!

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti
Not sure what women have to do with this. MCM is made up of 5 brothers with a lot of political ties from what I've found online.

sandrarose.com...

originally posted by: TNMockingbird
You may not consider yourself a misogynist. You come off sexist regardless. To imply that men have never created or engineered faulty or substandard work comes off as ignorant.
Have a nice day anyway!

My sexism doesn't stem from contempt or vitriol; it merely stems from facts. Also, nowhere did I mention that men have never constructed faulty things; intentionally misrepresenting a person's argument in a manner that is easier to attack than the person's original argument is called a "straw man argument," and it should be avoided at all costs if you wish to retain any semblance of credibility.

Let's get down to brass tacks: Two houses are being built side by side. One of these houses is being constructed by 20 men; the other is being constructed by 20 women. Which one do you think is going to be finished in the quickest and most efficient manner, and why?

Once upon a time, there was only one provider in each household. Back in those days, people could afford to house, feed, and clothe an entire family on nothing but the father's salary. That was all running smoothly until the government realized that they could rake in twice the amount of income taxes if the other half of the species got jobs as well. I firmly believe that second-wave feminism in the 1960s was engineered by the government; they brainwashed women into putting corporate shackles on their own wrists, and they fell for it. I'm not saying that women have no place in the work force, but do you honestly feel that things turned out for the better with the majority of women having full-time jobs? Is it better that instead of spending the day with at least one parent, young children are spending the day in daycare or with a nanny who they aren't even related to? And then when they do see their parents for just a few hours later that night, the parents are both burnt out and ineffectual because their ten-hour work day completely depleted their energy.

But no, yeah, I agree... things turned out pretty good...
edit on 18-3-2018 by Xaphan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Accidental double post.
edit on 18-3-2018 by Xaphan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: antar

I see the names of 6 victims. Looking for the others.

Here's a Link

There are pictures and some info on some...

I thought there was going to be a lot more, but I can't bring myself to say 'Oh, it's only 6.'

Shouldn't have been even one.

edit on 1456Sunday201813 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Someone please tell me it was super strong flex mix and cured for three months or four......

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: silo13

I made the mistake of listening to Fox New's Sheppard Smith describe the scene while driving that day. He said over 50 people were trapped, a death toll climbing rapidly, and sounds of explosives heard before the collapse. Smith made it seem like the pedestrian bridge was full of pedestrians. Sounded like he was crying out of sadness.

When I got home and turned on the TV, it was obvious that Sheppard had over-hyped this accident and made it a disaster.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I've seen better foot-bridges built with steel cable and split logs by Arkansas hillbillies.
Just looking at that thing, before it collapsed, I don't think I would cross it.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: research100

An engineer
signed off on the crack, or at least examined it..said it wasn't a concern

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 01:26 AM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Is it true that you can be a construction "engineer" with less than a bachelor degree now?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join