It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Pedestrian bridge near Florida International University has collapsed.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra

originally posted by: Krakatoa

Looking at the current news coverage, and some of the photos and "artist renditions" of the design for the finished projectt, it seems the vertical support structure (looking like a ships mast with lines down to the flat segments) was not installed yet. If I am mistaken, perhaps someone in the area can confirm or deny this assumption on my part?

source

If so, then this should never have been installed without additional (temporary) vertical supports until that all important superstructure was installed.

So a suspension bridge? And they built the support structure last?

That’s some serious lowest bidder # if true.

That's what it looks like to me. They placed the bridge deck over the road first over last weekend. But, the suspension superstructure looks like it is not there. Even in the photos of the collapsed bridge, you can see the suspension cable mounts on the top of the roof with nothing attached at all.

Hopefully all the appropriate heads will roll when the dust settles if this was as easily avoidable as it sounds.

They should have placed a temporary vertical support beneath the center (blocking off the middle lane of the roadway below) to help distribute the weight from the center of the deck. Once the suspension superstructure goes into place, you remove that temporary support underneath.

If this was that avoidable, and was done to "unveil it" early for University "political reasons" and PR, then those that made the decision to implement in this manner should be held accountable for these needless deaths.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Aww.

That sucks.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Looking at the current news coverage, and some of the photos and "artist renditions" of the design for the finished projectt, it seems the vertical support structure (looking like a ships mast with lines down to the flat segments) was not installed yet. If I am mistaken, perhaps someone in the area can confirm or deny this assumption on my part?

source

If so, then this should never have been installed without additional (temporary) vertical supports until that all important superstructure was installed.

That's what it looks like to me. They placed the bridge deck over the road first over last weekend. But, the suspension superstructure looks like it is not there. Even in the photos of the collapsed bridge, you can see the suspension cable mounts on the top of the roof with nothing attached at all.

Hopefully all the appropriate heads will roll when the dust settles if this was as easily avoidable as it sounds.

They should have placed a temporary vertical support beneath the center (blocking off the middle lane of the roadway below) to help distribute the weight from the center of the deck. Once the suspension superstructure goes into place, you remove that temporary support underneath.

If this was that avoidable, and was done to "unveil it" early for University "political reasons" and PR, then those that made the decision to implement in this manner should be held accountable for these needless deaths.

Of course, but even considered, the masts on a suspension bridge need to be erected first, as they’d be holding the structure up even before the concrete is poured on the walkway.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I pray that many make it out.

I wonder if it had to do with the new type of concrete they used.

Some type of self cleaning concrete.

Q in various opinions on how to make things safer and additions to ban list.

btw Are we sure no one shot that bridge?

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   

source

Of course, but even considered, the masts on a suspension bridge need to be erected first, as they’d be holding the structure up even before the concrete is poured on the walkway.

Oh don't get me wrong I totally agree with you on that point. However, if pressured to "open the bridge" early (since it was not scheduled to be completed until next YEAR), then this is when disasters happen. Yet, they place the deck first???? There is no engineering reason for doing that, none. There is, however, many political and monetary reasons (i.e. keeping it funded) to do it in this order.

edit on 3/15/2018 by Krakatoa because: finished my thoughts

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   
According to a police interview a 'stress test' was 'under way' during the collapse.

Wow. I can hardly believe that.

Looking for more info - the info came from a ABC News Live reporter.
edit on 3810Thursday201813 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   
A stress test with a stop light beneath it.

pound sign Florida engineering

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: silo13
According to a police interview a 'stress test' was taking place during the collapse.

This, I highly doubt. There is no way any sane person would perform this type of "stress test" on a bridge, on site, with live traffic flowing below the test. Those are done, off site, with a myriad of sensors and high-speed cameras to capture any deflections or other behaviors. Unless of course, this is the year 1800.

SMH

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: silo13
According to a police interview a 'stress test' was 'under way' during the collapse.

That they would do something so stupid frightens me.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 03:29 PM
link   

The bridge was constructed using an innovative approach to bridge construction – a technique meant to reduce potential risks to workers, commuters and pedestrians and prevented traffic tie-ups in the area.

What irony.

Wondering about the engineering.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Seems they did not understand the principle of testing.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   
potential risks

testing

workers - fail
commuters - fail
pedestrians - fail
traffic tie-ups - fail

Stress test without a controlled environment to protect people and property.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

I agree. I can't even begin to understand why someone would say this - BUT - it was reported the 'test teams' (I forgot their ABC name)? Many of that team was on site before the collapse.

I'm not so much believing what's being said but I think it's good to get this stuff recorded while it happens in case (when) the 'facts' mysteriously change later.

Like the Commanding Officer is saying now - do not report any information that doesn't come from me/us. On the other hand when someone pans a camera to focus on 'stress team' members and names cause of the incident?

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I'll hold off until after the investigation is complete. I can think of a hundred different things that could have caused this.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I have a feeling this will be one of those cases future engineers learn about in class.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Standing Strong in Hurricanes:
The new pedestrian bridge has been designed to withstand a Category 5 hurricane.

PDF link to info at FIU about the bridge

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

Wow ..........new bridge and it collapsed. Thoughts and prayers for those involved.
I can't believe reporters are dumb enough to ask what caused it........ok I can believe they are dumb enough

I found this www.msn.com... It shows how this ABC (accelerated bridge construction) was built.
edit on 15-3-2018 by Tarzan the apeman. because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
I'll hold off until after the investigation is complete. I can think of a hundred different things that could have caused this.

Nowadays, the word investigation actually means cover up.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join