It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents of slain DNC staffer sue Fox News

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   

The parents of murdered Democratic National Committee staff member Seth Rich have filed a lawsuit against Fox News, alleging that the network “intentionally exploited” their son’s death by promoting conspiracy theories about it. The lawsuit is centered on a story Fox News published on its website in May 2017 suggesting that federal investigators were in possession of evidence that Rich had leaked DNC emails to the website WikiLeaks weeks before he was shot in Washington’s Bloomingdale neighborhood. The story quickly became and has remained a focus of conspiracy theorists because it contradicted the assessment of the U.S. intelligence community that the Russian government was behind the email hacking at the DNC.

So now can we stop trying to repeat this oft debunked story? It does absolutely nothing but cause the family of Seth Rich pain and unnecessary misery. Fox News even admitted it was not thoroughly checked out before publishing...

Source

+18 more 
posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Well then I hope CNN gets sued for exploiting those deaths in Parkland Florida, and every other similar event.

I wonder if Perkins Coe is representing them.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Excellent. Fox needs to pay through the nose for what they put that family through.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 09:26 AM
link   
That was quite the snafu, no doubt about it. Embarrassing.

Just remember the precedent this sets though if the lawsuit is allowed to go forward. We've seen plenty of examples of stories that weren't thoroughly vetted lately, from pretty much every news outlet.

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Well then I hope CNN gets sued for exploiting those deaths in Parkland Florida, and every other similar event.

This shows the insanity of what is going on. how in the world are the two remotely related?? Hannity has been spouting conspiracy theories for Seth Rich for a long time now. The msm just puts a giant spotlight on an issue and then moves on. Far different situations...

The what aboutisms from the right have become simply scary. The ability to deflect your own bull is equally impressive and disturbing.

Hannity is being sued by the family. I would think the family knows more about the details of their sons death than some political junky hack. Its that simple. And they will win too, because they are in the right. Hannity just couldnt let it go...

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Aren't these the same parents who just recently confirmed their son was the leaker of the DNC E-mails?

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

First of all, ridiculous statement.

The difference is simple. Those kids in that high school were murdered. What CNN did was discuss the murder. Not run some silly conspiracy theory that the kids were killed for some made up reason. Get your hat on straight and admit that FOX screwed the pooch on this one and way too many people grabbed onto it without the facts.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   
....and I hope they win. This will set precedent for CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC, and every other "news" program or newspaper that publishes ANY story that has dodgy sources, slanderous claims or speculation on who did what to whom, to get the living sh** sued out of them.

Let The Games Begin!!

+7 more 
posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   
LOL, meanwhile Brian Williams is back at work. If you ask him, he may tell you about how him and Seth were walking down the street that night.

+6 more 
posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: crtrvt
Excellent. Fox needs to pay through the nose for what they put that family through.

Funny you say FOX needs to pay, rather than the purpetrators of the crime.

This lawsuit also doesn’t automatically rule out the current Seth Rich conspiracy theories.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: bknapple32

Next time READ.

II. Russia Hacks the DNC’s Emails and WikiLeaks Publishes Them. 18. One month earlier, on June 14, 2016, the Washington Post reported that two groups working for the Russian government had accessed the DNC’ s computer network and were monitoring the DNC’s emails and chat communications (the “DNC hack”). 19. On July 22, 2016, WikiLeaks published more than 44,000 DNC emails by posting them on a WikiLeaks website. 20. The FBI announced its investigation into the DNC hack shortly thereafter. 21. On October 7, 2016, the Department of Homeland Security released a Statement that the U.S. intelligence community concluded that Russia was responsible for the DNC hack and subsequent distribution via WikiLeaks. The Statement provided, in relevant part, that the United States was “confident that the Russian Government directed the recent compromises of e-mails from US persons and institutions, including from US political organizations” and “[t]he recent

www.politico.com...

That right there is a CONSPIRACY theory that still hasn't been proven.

Hannity lied but the Washington Post, and 'Confident' it was the Russian government.

In a court of LAW that's what they call supposition.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Wonder if Julian Assange will ever directly address this?

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: crtrvt

I would reserve that nose for the people who actually killed Seth Rich. Strange how many people seem to have completely forgotten - or simply do not care - that the murderer(s) are still walking free.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

No. These are the same parents that outlets like The Gateway Pundit lied about saying that their son was the DNC hacker. In truth that story was spun by someone with strong ties to Breitbart. When you look at the actual quote attributed to the father it makes no mention whatsoever of Seth being the hacker.

But that didn't stop the alt-Right media from running with the story. Leading to this lawsuit.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: DoubleDNH

What? No! Not Fox News! Good I hope they Win!!! Fox news is very guilty of doing this kind of thing all of the time....Hannity, repeats the same crap over and over, He still talks about Hillary, and scandals that have been debunked. Its a pathetic news source, who often times ignores very real and important news.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: MostlyReading

17. The D.C. Metropolitan Police Department (“MPD”) has identified no suspects, witnesses, or possible motives. MPD’s working theory was and is that the murder was a botched robbery.

www.politico.com...

In 2014 he began working for the Democratic National Committee (DNC) as the Voter Expansion Data Director. One of his tasks at the DNC was the development of a computer application to help voters locate polling stations.[2][26][27]

en.wikipedia.org...

Right there is A motive.

Sure wasn't money because staffers don't make that much.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

False equivalent.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: crtrvt

They need to sue Reddit where this conspiracy theory originated.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: DoubleDNH

So now can we stop trying to repeat this oft debunked story? It does absolutely nothing but cause the family of Seth Rich pain and unnecessary misery. Fox News even admitted it was not thoroughly checked out before publishing...

I just wanted to drop in and mention how terrible it is that Donald Trump would suggest that a news outlet should be required to vet information before reporting stories which later turn out to be false and slanderous, and even be sued for malicious reporting... oh, wait...

The partisanship is deafening in here...

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: DoubleDNH
The parents of murdered Democratic National Committee staff member Seth Rich have filed a lawsuit against Fox News,

Well,
It does show how crappy Fox News was in promoting a non-Russian interference, by inferring Seth Rich was responsible by the use of mythical official entities to that effect.
I have to say though that the idea didn't seem to originate from Fox, it was already out there from the get go, they just went with the meme...totally unprofessionally.
I 'm afraid we need to face up to the fact that this thing was promoted quite callously on the internet, and probably by entities who already had political agendas. It was promoted here at ATS extensively too, and the trouble is you can't hardly tell if it was first hand, or just gulpins lapping up the idea.
What I do think now, since his parents have taken Fox on legally, that the promotion of the meme should be curtailed....discuss what happened, and any other relevant material that is factual.
And, it is pretty bad taste making counter political remarks in the light of dissimilar events where news stations like CNN have made events a public discussion, where there is a genuine need for discussion.
However there's not much chance of anyone pulling their punches there either, pathetic that it is.
edit on 14-3-2018 by smurfy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join