It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are You listening to?..I.E music today.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Yeah, started on guitar when I was 15 but everyone played guitar and every band needed a bass player so I made the switch and never looked back. I can barely play guitar at this point but have carved out a nice little niche as a bass player and have never not been in a band unless it was my choice.

I destroyed all of the cartilage and the joint in my right thumb about 18 years ago so I cant properly do funk anymore because of the way it healed and the only way to fix it is to fuse the joint and I'm done being cut open by ortho's for the time being. Other than minimal slapping and popping, I kill s# live and in the studio.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

right on. people dont understand how different and uniquely difficult it can be to nail studio work. it's a whole lot different environment and considerations than when playing live.

whatcha playing axe wise these days.

**i know, I know everybody asks that.
edit on 12-3-2018 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Yeah, playing live is about energy and the studio is about precision. Two very different monsters. Axe wise, I've been using Ernie Ball Musicman basses since 2004. I had until recently an Ernie Ball Bongo Bass which I wish I had kept along with my fender fretless. They just weren't getting a lot of use with the Musicman in constant rotation. The main benefit of the Bongo vs the Musicman or the Femder was the benefit of the extra 2 frets giving me a little more wiggle room on the high end but I wasn't utilizing it a whole lot playing metal aside from one song so I set it free so someone who would use it regularly could enjoy her.

Then I run the Musicman through a Radial Tone Bone, with a big muff for super distortion, a bass overdrive and a chorus before it gets into the 27 year old Mesa 400 and the 1x15/4x10 Mesa cabinet. I live in a fairly rural place and my neighbors still complain. That means I'm playing at a proper volume haha. I can't remember the last time a sound guy ran my rig through the PA

What about you? What's your weapon of choice these days?

edit on 12-3-2018 by peter vlar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 09:24 PM
link   

custom build mtd635. will use either a Eden head n cabinet or a aguilar. for effects I run clean but have an original mutron peddle to get that funkadelic sound when needed. running 24 frets on a 35" scale. 18Volt active bartolini soapbars.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Oh I bet that rig sounds killer! I haven’t played around with any of the Eden stuff but I keep hearing really good things about their heads. I’m also about to drop a deposit down for a custom Dunable 4 string with a piezo in addition to the double humbucker. He makes some really nice basses and guitars. The MTD YOU HAVE... is it a custom from Mike or one of the mass produced ones? He makes such sweet sounding basses and they play like butter. He used to come up here every now and again to the local music store I get most of my stuff from as he only lies about an hour and a half from here. Even the mass produced MTD’s are really killer. Been a fan of his stuff for awhile. But at the price point for a custom MTD vs an off the shelf Musicman, the Ernie Ball was the most bang for the dollar

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   

it's a custom hand built by Mike. had it since 2000. mike was awesome about it too. when he asked for what kinda wood i wanted he emailed me pics of various actual wood samples he had. I picked a pretty burled maple. with an alvadore wood body. maple is versatile alvadore is soft and makes the high end sweet and warm. natural ebony fretboard for hard quick response. a zero fret for clean beautiful chords and intonation. he'd email pics every few weeks of the bass he was building you. him shaping the body. the neck etc. my prior bass was a neckthrough Padulla thunderbass but it got stolen at a sound check. left it in its gig bag unattended for 2 minutes in my unlocked car at the venues parking lot while I wheeled my cabinet to the stage. I was ....extremely pissed. luckily I had it ensured at the time. got the mtd shortly afterwards.

Eden heads are powerful and have a very flat response.

aguilar just crushed though. can't do any better than aguilar in my opinion.

here's a shot of her. sorry it uploaded sideways. it's a pic I uploaded here a few years ago.

pic of me playing her from waaaaay back. damn I wish i was that young again. in this shot I was actually playing on stage with a semi famous singer/songwriter somewhere at a gig on the sunset strip. photo cropped to show just me.

edit on 14-3-2018 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: MaxTamesSiva
I suppose you're familiar with "Passages?"

Glass/Shankar.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: greydaze
Currently I'm listening to Jimi Hendrix,and about to turn the table,and get into Black Sabbath,Rush,and finally Texas hard rockin Bloodrock..

Cool, I have all of those on vinyl except for Rush.

My lineup has been (in no order): NIN, Philip Glass/Shankar (passages), Gregory Isaacs, Sigur Ros, Beck, Solaris (2002) score, Mortiis (ambient stuff), Foo Fighters, Type 0 Negative, Pink Floyd, Leather Strip, CSNY, Beatles, etc.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join