It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Satanic Temple sues Arizona city to lead city council prayer

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

It's free speech.

Now if it were conservatives? Kill them.

SILENCE THEM AND KILL THEM ALL! Just ask Facebook/Twitter/College campuses/Google.

But Satanists?

*shrugs*

I (at least) am always trying to stay consistant.

Nazi's? Free speech.

Satanists? Free speech.

BLM? ANTIFA? John Birch Society? Ann Coulter? Milo?

Free speech, baby. Free speech.

Free expression is a must in a free society. If we don't have it, then we have no right to call ourselves a nation promoting freedom.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

The sad thing is that in a world where Scientology and the Westbrook Baptist Church are binaries religions, pompous clowns gaming the system are pretty benign in the grand scheme of things. Besides... the IRS and it’s lovely and always helpful staff would never fast track something like this. At least not for less than 10% of the annual take!

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Having read the article and seen things like this before, the following can be stated:

The city is in the wrong here, and ultimately will either have to allow for such, or stop having an opening prayer all together. To hold one religion or religious affiliation above others, is the essence of what is against the first amendment and leads to other questions. The one damming statement here that is mention is this: In a February 2016 email, one city councilwoman told constituents she likes the opening prayers but said allowing Satanists to say them would be "taking equality too far."

What if it was say someone who was Muslim, would they allow for such? What about if the person was Native American, or a Buddhist, or a Wicca, or a Sihk, or any number of other religious out there, beyond Christianity?

And what did the councilwoman mean by taking equality too far?
To me that sounds like it is equality as long as it is a popular idea.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: sdcigarpig

Some religions are just more equal than others.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 01:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

No faith component means not a religion?

Someone tell the scientologists this...

They dont learn about xenu till they are a certain level, and even then, it's not faith...

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 01:13 AM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

Damn, beaten to it.. lol

But exactly.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 01:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: shawmanfromny

It's free speech.

Now if it were conservatives? Kill them.

SILENCE THEM AND KILL THEM ALL! Just ask Facebook/Twitter/College campuses/Google.

But Satanists?

*shrugs*

I (at least) am always trying to stay consistant.

Nazi's? Free speech.

Satanists? Free speech.

BLM? ANTIFA? John Birch Society? Ann Coulter? Milo?

Free speech, baby. Free speech.

Free expression is a must in a free society. If we don't have it, then we have no right to call ourselves a nation promoting freedom.

The Satanic church, Milo don't preach violence towards those who disagree.

The rest, as far the ones I know of, want violence as a tool in their fist when speaking. It's good to have free speech, but not to incite violence.

edit on 28-2-2018 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 01:23 AM
link   
The day Scientology became an offical religion anything was up for religous status and freedom.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

In what way would some religions be more equal than others?
Does that mean that those that are not more equal, that the people who have faith, are somehow their faith is not as valid as those who are equal?

Would that apply to all denominations of say Christianity, or would we hold some as less equal to others?
Could it be used to justify say the denying of say a building permit for some houses of worship, while allowing for others to have say more than one house in the same area?

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 01:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: shawmanfromny
Should Freedom of Religion be extended to this Satanic Temple? If members of this Temple want to say a prayer, peacefully, what right do we have to stop them?

Absolutely. As already stated in this thread, if people advocate the freedom of religion then that means all religion, regardless of the fact they are fictitious.

Even though I feel Satan is the embodiment of evil...

Funny, that's how I and many others feel of Catholicism.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 02:53 AM
link   
I've known a few self proclaimed Satanists.
They were decent people.
They admittedly didn't believe their own bull pucky.
Just didn't like the harm to society that was caused by certain other religions.
They were more into enjoying life with a sense of humor and an appreciation for aesthetics.
Freedom of thought seems to be a core of the philosophy.
No babies were eaten.
They just didn't like the idea of bowing to a guy nailed up to a cross.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I was pretty into Anton LaVey when I was in highschool. I've always enjoyed how people react to satanism without actually knowing anything about it.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: sdcigarpig

I have to say: I'm a Christian, Jesus is my Lord & Savior. And, this post by sdcigarpig is right on the money. The city will have to accommodate them or eliminate the practice of prayers at council meetings.

The right to free speech is more than just being able to say what you want. It's the right of someone you vehemently, viscerally disagree with being able to say what they want.

There are fine points to tweak and tune, I concede that, but the core of it is that non-violent expression should not be infringed upon.
edit on 2-28-2018 by PrairieShepherd because: Clarification

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: wheresthebody

I like how you spelled "satanism" with no capital letter.
You are in charge of you own Being.
Live and Love.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 07:33 AM
link   
This is garbage spewed from a non-believer. When you actually believe in God, the thought of government supporting, advocating or even tolerating the great deceiver and father of all lies and murder becomes an abomination. Government does have the duty to do the right right things and supporting Satanism by allowing a Satanic prayer in government is just plain wrong. Do you know that Satanists perform human sacrifices? And that they perform Satanic ritual abuse upon children? Look it up, there are plenty of murder trials, and abuse trials, and the like where Satanism was involved.

a reply to: eNumbra

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Don't you love the double edge sword of freedom?

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: craterman
This is garbage spewed from a non-believer. When you actually believe in God, the thought of government supporting, advocating or even tolerating the great deceiver and father of all lies and murder becomes an abomination. Government does have the duty to do the right right things and supporting Satanism by allowing a Satanic prayer in government is just plain wrong. Do you know that Satanists perform human sacrifices? And that they perform Satanic ritual abuse upon children? Look it up, there are plenty of murder trials, and abuse trials, and the like where Satanism was involved.

You need a hug. Did the man with a funny hat touch you in your naughty bits?

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Gotta love the Church of Satan. They have such a flair for pointing out hypocrisy.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: craterman

Hail Santa!

There are also plenty of murder trials where other religions are involved. Lots of pedofile priests, etc. the church of Satan - whom are not “devil worshippers” exist to point out the hypocrisy of religions/the staunchly religious.
edit on 2/28/2018 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I feel if you are gonna cater for religions,cater for all or none.I don't see why the Satanists should be ostracised,its not like that religion have done more damage than the Abrahamic ones.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join