It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maybe american schools need to have dog handlers instead of gun handlers.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I am new here but am a person who has always been involve in Law enforcement and have always been a dog handler. I would like to think had this incident taken place and a dog I trained was on site, the shooter should have been taken down quickly. Guns are not a solution and there are better ways

edit on 22-2-2018 by chibsonguitarplayer because: spelling error

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: chibsonguitarplayer

Can dogs be trained to smell gun powder and rip apart the person carrying the gun? I guess he/she would sit at the front entrance and await danger.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 06:11 PM
link   

No! No! No!

So much risk for so little reward.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   

What happens when the dog gets shot?

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 06:18 PM
link   
hmmm... i don't know...i think this is a pretty good idea..dogs that sniff out gun powder residue or similar substances generally associated with guns could be a real deterrent. I know we are venturing into the dreaded 'pre-crime' territory here but.. it might start turning the tide on this. Do they make kevlar vests for the dogs?

edit on 22-2-2018 by Starcrossd because: grammar repair for the language nazis

edit on 22-2-2018 by Starcrossd because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I think is a workable deterrent.

Weapons sniffing dogs on premises could work.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

What happens when the dog gets shot?

Or the prey instinct kicks in on a running child? I am a big believer in canine use (did LE for 17 years and would always try to have K9 team with me if I knew I was going go be dealing with trouble). Amazing how much cooperation you get when a K9 unit is on scene! In the school shooter scenario, I just don’t think a crazed mass murderer is going to care and tbe dog just becomes another target/casualty.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Maybe America (And the World for that matter) should harden the f* up and stop being all prissy and PC about calling out people with clear mental problems.

You're acting odd and posting crap......off you go to the nut house

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Lab4Us
I think that most people will agree with you, if you are talking about an outside attack. That is exactly what most of us have been trying to get across, that gun control will do nothing to stop anyone that is determined to kill as many children as they can.

It would help to keep the guns outside of school though, which is what many seem to be focusing on. The big problem is that many of those people are deceived into believing that no guns means safe students. They are wrong.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn
a reply to: Lab4Us
I think that most people will agree with you, if you are talking about an outside attack. That is exactly what most of us have been trying to get across, that gun control will do nothing to stop anyone that is determined to kill as many children as they can.

It would help to keep the guns outside of school though, which is what many seem to be focusing on. The big problem is that many of those people are deceived into believing that no guns means safe students. They are wrong.

Don’t get me wrong, I fully back regularly trained educators carrying concealed. There are many examples here in Texas where it is very successful, even one where they train with state Troopers and the Sheriff’s dept. You’ll have to search, I don’t remember the school district names. From my experience you can’t just send a loose K9 into a building unless you’re absolutely sure the perp is the only one inside. Most school massacres don’t seem to go that way.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Just assign one police officer to each school...they should also rotate the position so each officer does not get comfortable hanging in the lounge...it's not a perfect solution but it's a perfectly good solution...and yes they may get shot and the shooter may continue but I prefer that over a teacher having a gun...

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 07:42 PM
link   
The roles of school canines could include deterrence, apprehension of violent offenders, and contraband detection. Some schools have employed canines to provide protection and establish a new environment that supporters consider essential for reducing school violence. One foundation advocates the use of dogs in schools—it has placed over 50 canines in more than 25 organizations, including schools, since its inception in early 2011. There are potential benefits, as well as concerns, when putting these animals in schools as a violence deterrent.

“Keeping Students Safe,” K9s4COPS, k9s4cops.org... (accessed February 6, 2015).

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Oh let's not.

Please.

One dog even gets the farts and people lose their minds.

Can you imagine if one - got shot!!! :O

How about instead we empower out kids and give them shooting lessons instead.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Of all the ideas I have heard in the last week, this one has merit. I like it.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Semi Automatic kill dogs.

It's my right, so I'm all for it. I'm against banning anything, so attack murder sniffer dogs it is.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco

Just assign one police officer to each school...they should also rotate the position so each officer does not get comfortable hanging in the lounge...it's not a perfect solution but it's a perfectly good solution...and yes they may get shot and the shooter may continue but I prefer that over a teacher having a gun...

Agreed. I've frequently said that the equivalent of an "Air Marshall" could be posted at the main entrance, and the main entrance is the only one that is unlocked.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 10:42 PM
link   
It's something to consider.

A dog, along with it's handler, obviously, could prove very useful in handling a situation before it gets catastrophic.

It just might be workable...

A snarling, barking dog has a remarkable effect on most people...they tend to back up, a lot.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I think we should put everyone in prison camps and force them to develop world class skills so corporations can go to Mars

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 11:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
I think we should put everyone in prison camps and force them to develop world class skills so corporations can go to Mars

But we are in prison camps... we just havent appointed the right guards.

new topics

top topics

join