It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hacked From ....... scammers

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Yesterday I left a thread here called Dead Phone Live Phone . During this interaction I was phoned by BT who operate the landline and they informed me

1 that I was currently using a social media site at the time and that it was not secure and that I had hackers in my operating system and that they had effective control of the wifi as well .

2 that I needed to hide my IP address

3 that I needed to take a number of steps which included not using this website because i was being hacked from here ( i'm not surprised )

4 i was informed i should phone them back to carry out further changes to my os

Around the same time , I discovered later that an UPDATE ALERT was delivered through this system which came from the police and crime commissioner of this district . Which of these are inappropriate actors . ( hint : It's not me )

So there are other questions for the board , thanks guys

as ever
edit on Thu Feb 8 2018 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 04:27 AM
link   
a reply to: GeneralMayhem

Sounds like the typical scam from an Indian call centre.
Did they have an accent?
Was it noisy in the background?
Did they want to connect to your computer and "fix things"?

Perhaps call BT using the customer service number they supply on your bills and ask them if they do those sort of calls.

Be safe. Stay safe.
All the best.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 04:28 AM
link   

What if the person who called you was the hacker?

Hide your IP?

No one ever hacks me, except on facebook, and they're from China

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 04:45 AM
link   

you got scammed.

Sorry to say ,

think about it.

A voice over a phone made you do things.

Contact an IT security company or friend to make sure you havent just pulled your pants down in front of a scammer

edit on 2 8 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Sound like classic hacking techniques to me.

I really do hope you didn't follow along with their engineer, who then proceeds to tell you which piece of software to download and install on your computers, so that your IP can be hidden and for you to be able to surf safely.

Please tell me that you didn't download and install anything that they suggested?

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 04:56 AM
link   
BT Scam

In many of these cases the scam caller will appear to be calling from a UK area code and they often demonstrate knowledge of your personal details (e.g. name, phone number and address). However this does not mean that BT itself has been hacked because such details are can easily be scraped from public sources. Not to mention the huge amount of personal info. that has been stolen via unrelated hacks over the past few years.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Good questions .We've got a number for them does anyone want it ? Be aware that with what is going on re criminals rings and secondary victimisations in this area you could actually be calling BT... or GCHQ effectively eh?! Therefore the pcc and / or whoever is pulling all this as well, can jog on, anyway . IMO It wouldnt be fair on local bobbies to have put this case on one or two of them, or anyone small

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 04:59 AM
link   

BT User Kim2 said:
I know that most people are aware of the scam calls but many times the number shows up as international which is always a good clue. Had one about ten minutes ago from 01378 255791. This looked like it was from the UK so I answered it.
It was the usual Indian gentleman who claimed he was calling from BT. He said that there were hackers on my computer and I needed to switch the computer on so he could fix it.
Yes, I know we all have heard it before but horrible thought that there may be vulnerable people who may be taken in.

BT User Xlicit said:
I just had a suspicious call in last 20mins.
They first started the conversation saying line is dodgy so will have to disconnect. Which at first I believed as recently I had to get bt to come fix it and they put me on a spare of a spare in a sense. But then they changed subject to malicious packets been sent down my line was a concern. By this point I called them on their bluff. Said if you want to notify me to email me or send letter not by call.

They were asking what devices I had connected, seeing if got pc which again I said no.

They even tried to say look we’re not scammers. Let me pass you to my manager. Never had this at my old address, already sick of scam calls this weekend. I hope nobody falls for this! Was v believable.

BT User basketcase1 said:
Does anyone recognise the number 0161 818 8583? Just had a call from a very polite gent with an Indian accent (called Robin Richards, he said).
Apparently there are people misusing my Internet service and he wanted to help me sort it out. I told him I never answered these calls, but would ring him back and got this number. When I said “0161” that sounds familiar, he knew it was a Manchester prefix. Several closely related numbers are scams. Doubt I’m going to ring back.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 05:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: GeneralMayhem
Good questions .We've got a number for them does anyone want it ? Be aware that with what is going on re criminals rings and secondary victimisations in this area you could actually be calling BT... or GCHQ effectively eh?! Therefore the pcc and / or whoever is pulling all this as well, can jog on, anyway . IMO It wouldnt be fair on local bobbies to have put this case on one or two of them, or anyone small

Yes, what number did they ask you to call?

Sometimes they will stay on the line after you put the phone down. That way they could even give you the real BT phone number which you would think you're phoning but in reality, they are still connected to your phone line.
Sometimes they even play a recording of a dial tone to fool you into thinking that the phone line is disconnected from their call.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Yesterday I left a thread here called Dead Phone Live Phone . During this interaction I was phoned by BT who operate the landline and they informed me

1 that I was currently using a social media site at the time and that it was not secure and that I had hackers in my operating system and that they had effective control of the wifi as well .

2 that I needed to hide my IP address

3 that I needed to take a number of steps which included not using this website because i was being hacked from here ( i'm not surprised )

4 i was informed i should phone them back to carry out further changes to my os

Around the same time , I discovered later that an UPDATE ALERT was delivered through this system which came from the police and crime commissioner of this district . Which of these are inappropriate actors . ( hint : It's not me )

So there are other questions for the board , thanks guys

as ever

I'm really quite concerned by this General M, as you can probably tell by my responses.

I'm a retired Police Officer who used to deal with this type of scam on a very regular basis.

Can you tell me more about the Alert message that you state you also received and in what form you received it please?

Did you download anything and install anything from them or did you log in to any website they mentioned?
edit on 8-2-2018 by studio500 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Here's another example:

Kate C January 23, 2018 at 2:29 pm I answered a call from 01782 196721. Caller display reported the number but also said it was an international call. It was a man with an Indian accent who said his name was David Wilson and he worked for BT. He said my internet service had been compromised but don’t worry, he would fix it. To do this he wanted me to hit Windows key and R (which would have opened the Run box) then follow his instructions. Obviously I didn’t do this. He did know my name and home address, which he read out to prove his ‘authority’.

Lou January 27, 2018 at 9:23 am Had a call from BT Openreach guy with Indian accent saying my router broadband connection was being used by unknown people. He passed me to his Manager who Told me to type a code into Google search engine but I said I wasn’t sure about reason for their call as I was having no internet issues, he was quite persistent. He knew my first name and town I live in.

davi lud January 9, 2018 at 10:52 am I have just received a call from BT broadband which i don’t have on my land line. The number who me is 01539037530

If you did download anything, I suggest disconnecting from the internet immediately. You need to try and remove anything you may have downloaded and run a couple of good antivirus scans and malware programs to remove any nasties.

Some of the programs they use though can be very difficult to remove and many will add additional registry entries to your computer.

Other programs can give them remote access to your computer, which means they can operate your PC and delve into your files from anywhere in the world.

I'm not trying to scare you but since you haven't responded, I'm guessing that something may not be right.
Either way, this thread serves as a good warning to others of what not to do if you get a call from your ISP, stating you have a problem and they will help you sort it.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 05:25 AM
link   
a reply to: studio500

I am also concerned by this and there is missing information . Please note the coincidence referenced by the Dead Phone Live Phone thread - I was complaining _at the time , about the landline connection, and with reference to police interactions . I could link it but its below on the new list. I'll continue to retain good faith in the board members and yourself . but my responses may be scattered .

I did not download anything , but visited a site they suggested re ipaddresses
edit on 8-2-2018 by GeneralMayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Funny I have just had a call from a woman with an asian accent pertaining to

be from BT.

Having read your post earlier I was blunt and cautious ....She said she

was from BT (all landline connections are through BT initially) so I said

I was not with BT. She replied she knew that but said my name and address

(that can be got of google anyway) so I simply cut her off.

Was she fishing?? and did I do right??

Edit to add: Have seen the replies since the first time I was on this thread

It seems they are doing a right blitz, better warn my friends and family.

edit on 8-2-2018 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Hi General,
I just saw your earlier post, sorry wasn't aware of it before

Dead phone line post

I'm sorry to say but this is what they do and believe me, they do it well.

If I called your house now, you picked up, we chatted and I told you to ring 999 straight after our call but then I waited for you to hang upbut I did not hang up, my line would stay connected to yours.

Then when you pick the phone up to call the Police, I could play a recording of a dial tone, or simply listen to you dialling before I would announce something like, West Mercia Police, can I help you?

This type of connection scam is often used by thieves and scammers purporting to be from your bank, where they ask you to call the real number of your bank (This is called the convincer) to prove they are not scammers, when in fact they are.

As long as you did not release any personal details, or anything like your BT password or login details, you should be ok.

If you did give your BT login details, you need to block your bank card asap as scammers will log into your BT account and steal your banking details. In either case you must change the login details of any accounts you may have discussed with them and possibly notify your bank if your card details are stored on any site you mentioned.

Sorry there's a lot to say and it's not always easy on here.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 05:44 AM
link   
What was said in your conversation with the people you think were Police Officers?

Also, where you asked by anyone at any time for your BT account number or login details such as password etc?

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 05:46 AM
link   
"Security warning - Fraud activities or scams
Scams where fraudsters are claiming to be from BT
"
BPCustHelp

If you're unsure about the caller Here's what you can do:

Be suspicious of unsolicited calls relating to a security or system problem, even if the caller claims to represent a respected company

If we’re getting in touch about your bill, it’ll usually be from either 0800 328 9393 or 0800 028 5085

Ask security questions about your account before continuing the call. If the caller can't answer, they are not legitimate

Never give out personal information, such as credit card or bank details, to an unsolicited caller

Don't type anything into a computer, install software, visit any websites or follow any other instruction unless you are confident that the call is genuine

Don't agree to sign up for anything and under no circumstances let the caller take control of your computer system. This allows them to gain access to your personal files and harvest information

If you use a public or shared computer, be security conscious. Remember, each time you exit your account you should sign out completely by clicking the Sign out link. This means anyone using the computer after you won't be able to access your account

Since you already visited a suggested website I would follow Studio500's advice.

edit on 2 8 2018 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 05:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

Funny I have just had a call from a woman with an asian accent pertaining to

be from BT.

Having read your post earlier I was blunt and cautious ....She said she

was from BT (all landline connections are through BT initially) so I said

I was not with BT. She replied she knew that but said my name and address

(that can be got of google anyway) so I simply cut her off.

Was she fishing?? and did I do right??

Edit to add: Have seen the replies since the first time I was on this thread

It seems they are doing a right blitz, better warn my friends and family.

Hi, Yes it would appear so.

Remember that there are entire call centres making these calls, sometimes with hundreds of staff. Some even use call routing technology that makes the call appear to be coming from the UK when in reality, it is not, It's from Asia.

You did right not to answer any questions.
Well done!

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 05:50 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

Then its possible they are using this site to scam the unususpecting . Misrepresentations are very abundant , however unfortunately we're left to build a necessarily conclusive case for ourselves : ie the referenced coincidences which regard highly suspect behaviours. I'm sure GCHQ can pull off a indian hacker accent , any day.

Do we still want that number ?

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 05:56 AM
link   

An IT friend of mine told me to beware of...

-Pop-ups that declare you're computer was just hacked and tell you to place a call to a listed number

-E-mails from unknown sources no matter how enticing the offer sounds.

-Offers that pop-up saying you won a free gift card

-Beware of e-mails from banks, credit card companies etc...who want you to send them private information, account numbers, social security numbers etc...

-Beware of courtesy calls (I never answer long distance phone calls). However, some scammer's are starting to use local area codes.

These are the hackers! They use what ever means possible to scare you or entice you to pick-up the phone or e-mail them confidential information.

edit on 8-2-2018 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 06:01 AM
link   

a reply to: eletheia

Then its possible they are using this site to scam the unususpecting . Misrepresentations are very abundant , however unfortunately we're left to build a necessarily conclusive case for ourselves . I'm sure GCHQ can pull off a indian hacker accent , any day

No General, it will have nothing whatsoever to do with this site or GCHQ.

They are well versed and very adept at making you think it was due to a site you visited.

During your conversation you may have said something like, " Well I only ever visit one site called ATS".
That's enough for them to latch on to your words and to convince you that what they are saying is true and real when in reality it isn't.

They might even say something like, " Yes, we have ATS on our list", or " Yes, it is from the site you have been visiting".

It is all designed to convince you that they are who they say they are, when in reality they are just a bunch of scammers intent on stealing either your cash/ bank details/ or personal data that will give them access to this data indirectly, say through your BT account details.
Even if you pay your BT bill through Direct Debit, if they can access those details by logging into your BT account, they can transfer your money, or at least try to.

You may even get another call from someone saying they are from your bank next, and that you have fraudulent activity on your account. That could be them too.

If this does happen, put the phone down and call your bank from a different phone. DO NOT USE THE SAME PHONE.
Remember, they can stay connected to your phone line for hours if they wanted.

I hope all this makes sense my friend.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join