It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hacked From ....... scammers

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 06:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons
a reply to: GeneralMayhem

An IT friend of mine told me to beware of...

-Pop-ups that declare you're computer was just hacked and tell you to place a call to a listed number

-E-mails from unknown sources no matter how enticing the offer sounds.

-Offers that pop-up saying you won a free gift card

-Beware of e-mails from banks, credit card companies etc...who want you to send them private information, account numbers, social security numbers etc...

-Beware of courtesy calls (I never answer long distance phone calls). However, some scammer's are starting to use local area codes.

These are the hackers! They use what ever means possible to scare you or entice you to pick-up the phone or e-mail them confidential information.

Great advice and well worth following.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 06:09 AM
link   
a reply to: studio500

That's a proper question : I was informed (when the call actually took place later in the day) that my concerns for the safety of someone's children were 'not a police matter' . Given the circumstances yes it was an inappropriate response , imo .
edit on 8-2-2018 by GeneralMayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 06:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: GeneralMayhem
a reply to: eletheia

Then its possible they are using this site to scam the unususpecting . Misrepresentations are very abundant , however unfortunately we're left to build a necessarily conclusive case for ourselves : ie the referenced coincidences which regard highly suspect behaviours. I'm sure GCHQ can pull off a indian hacker accent , any day.

Do we still want that number ?

I dont think that will be necessary as I cut them off without giving out any

information. I had a similar thing happen to me about seven years ago when

I got my computer, and I took my lap top to the local computer repair shop

They did the cleaning up of my machine, and when I went to collect my lap

top the was an elderly man there who had had the same thing done to him.

LESSON LEARNED

Now when I answer the phone I do what I consider is probably very rude....

however I feel justified on unsolicited calls Immediately I realise it is a call

centre I simply HANG UP. If it is important they can write to me OR e.mail

me IF they have my e.mail (unsolicited e.mails get deleted without opening.

Thanks for your reply.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Ahhh, I see.

So the call that you made to the Police had nothing whatsoever to do with the BT call?

It sounds like you have had two separate incidents going on.

The Police should make a log whenever anyone informs them of a possible risk to child safety.

Depending on the allegations being made, they will then grade their response accordingly. Even if they think that there is insufficient concern or evidence to act, they still have a duty to at least record the details of your call on an incident log, for reference purposes.

Usually when the Police state, "This is not a Police matter", they are saying that there appear to be no offences involved, which may well be the case.

There may not be any Police investigation if they consider that no offences have been committed or that the information that they have received does not warrant further investigation.

However, they could and should in my opinion, make a record of your concerns and send a referral through to Social Services who will then take any action they feel is appropriate.

If you do have genuine concerns regarding child welfare which does not indicate immediate risk to the child, you may be better off calling your local Social Service, family protection unit.
I'm sure they will be helpful.

edit on 8-2-2018 by studio500 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 06:37 AM
link   
a reply to: studio500

In that case the two incidents collided in time twice , as referenced by yesterdays post here@call o clock ,and other suspect things which havent only been noticed by myself. but I'll go with what you're saying if only because you knew they had an indian accent . i'll also take the open players which i know to be present in my circles as friendlies

3 times , and all directly at the timepoint for required use of communication equipment .

four if you count that update alert was being processed by another computer in the house (not mine)

five and six when you put ats and yourselves into the mix . They're hard targets; you need the best

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Got a call from some nice Indian chap last year, advising me that someone at my address had been in a car accident 3 years ago and I could be owed a sum of money.

I played along.

He got rather upset when I said I don't have a car, nor a license.

They will try anything...

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Usually when the Police state, "This is not a Police matter", they are saying that there appear to be no offences involved, which may well be the case.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 07:58 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Yesterday I left a thread here called Dead Phone Live Phone . During this interaction I was phoned by BT who operate the landline and they informed me

1 that I was currently using a social media site at the time and that it was not secure and that I had hackers in my operating system and that they had effective control of the wifi as well .

2 that I needed to hide my IP address

3 that I needed to take a number of steps which included not using this website because i was being hacked from here ( i'm not surprised )

4 i was informed i should phone them back to carry out further changes to my os

Around the same time , I discovered later that an UPDATE ALERT was delivered through this system which came from the police and crime commissioner of this district . Which of these are inappropriate actors . ( hint : It's not me )

So there are other questions for the board , thanks guys

as ever

Sounds like you were called by a scammer, the WIFI router is always the raison rationale.
I had a similar call from, 'AOL' except the idiot didn't think to cover should I have my router hot wired for another computer, which I have) instead of broadcast.

If you don't need the WIFI, just use the router as a connection and hot wire in any other computer as well.
Snowden will tell you the router makes it easy peasy to hack into the computer, using the manufacturers default settings.
edit on 8-2-2018 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I think we are dealing with more issues than just a phone scam with the OP

I am not certified to give any medical advice, I'm out.......

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: airowineSailorcat

funnily enough , i have not laid eyes on the policeman concerned himself , when it could have been one of two , and the original call from the one I have met , was quite possibly the one that got squashed - apparently maybe by hackers , and not the indian phone you up variety: because they were the ones accusing others of hacking me when i had written the op from yesterday . I tried to call the squashed number back, as it appeared as a number on the display , and was told ' the number you have called has not been recognised'. So it might not have been the other one who was called in on the borderless system and takes things more seriously . Or it could have been Either way , its sticky , i can understand they themselves backing off the matter , maybe under duress. If you look where the links go back to , what is going on is not what should be happening on a normal day .

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Was it the Russians?

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

Is it too complicated for you ? That's ok . Like I said : its not me . If one understands what eg ftac is for they shouldnt tend to come under their observations remit for very long . Rather , they'd be watchers together

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic
Russians ? I joined the dark side long ago lol
Whoever rang me up yesterday they didn't want me to come back here to ats asking questions or giving out info, so probably not the russians . Its looking like they are indian hackers If it had been a different site say twitter , i would have assumed they had guessed I might be on that , but the content of this site was questioned, and there was particular content being presented. I havent got much to lose by being hacked , but I'm trying to stay on the sensible side covering my exits , and feeding off large aggressive dogs recently . I think there could well be a possibilty this site is being used of course by many agents but including targeters of those who may have been mistaken as vulnerable . It says : not secure in the box . 'Indian' hackers may be exploiting it , or just people ingeneral , as we have heard, thanks to eletheria and studio500 My /the circumstances outlined here could have been just coincidences as things often are, but this time again there has been an accumulation of anomalies . I'm not out to waste my time or make anyone look silly , but this has had to be put to bed .

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   

a reply to: airowineSailorcat

'and not the indian phone you up variety: because they were the ones accusing others of hacking me when i had written the op from yesterday'

But that's exactly what the would be scammers do, they tell you someone has hacked your router.
In my case I gave the number to AOL, I also mentioned checking out their own call centres, (now also Indian...formerly Ireland, and much better then) in case someone was passing initial member information to scammers, although the acual scammers could be anywhere.
As for ATS, you will sometimes get an 'uncertified site message' on some thread pages.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Dude! It WAS the hacker(s) calling you. The whole thing was a scam...You were had. If that wasnt true? All 300,000+ of us long time members wouldnt be here still...

Something in your settings, favs, bookmarks or visitations or virus-safeguards, browsers, history etc...something, somewhere is the cause. Not this site.

Good luck....................

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 09:30 AM
link   

P.S. Simply...you have an "open door" somewhere, someplace.

Good luck again...MS

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Hiya . I just want to get something straight again > so i made a thread complaining about possibly being hacked , and then _at the time it was live , some hackers claiming to be BT phoned me up and told me directly 'you;'re being hacked by hackers which are'nt us' , and they wanted to use me directly as a conduit to hack into my own computer for them , presumably so they could steal my bank details, or carry out other hacking operations . If I ring them and it actually was bt, what should I maybe do then ? bbl

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Scam calls can be quite common in the UK.

In one instance my elderly, ill relative was being threatened by some arrogant bitch with an Asian accent. We had to get the police and the phone provider to sort it out, but it took quite a while.

In another instance I was at my friend's house when again, the phone rang and some other rude moron with an Asian accent was claiming to be 'from Microsoft', and how they were 'receiving calls about suspect activity on your line (blah blah)'. I grabbed the phone and asked them if they were aware the police were recording their call, at which they quickly hung up.

Be under no illusion here. These people are scum-bag rats, and if you ever want to see their true side then you only need watch the countless video's in which their scam is recorded and exposed - see how quickly they show their true side. You owe them nothing.

I also used to receive such calls myself and my best remedy was simply to purchase an answer-phone. If the caller is genuine they'll will leave a message. Don't want to leave a message? Then you aren't genuine and if your number is visible it will be scrutinised and if necessary blocked (some phones have free built-in blocking features). Done and dusted.
edit on 8-2-2018 by Ross Cross because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

I do understand that point of view , I also have heard of this before , and it may make sense to interfere with phone calls first if targeting person/computer with a hacking scam

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join