It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Film the NFL doesn't want you to see

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: ClovenSky
This fall my son was playing in a middle school football game. Just before half time, a player on the other team snapped his tibia/fibula, something below the knee. You could see the white bone sticking out even from the stands. There were enough players on the other team that decided to quite right there, that they couldn't continue the game past halftime.

All I heard in the stands was grief and resentment towards the opposing team. I still regret that I didn't stand up and applaud the other players decision.

So a few years of entertainment is worth a lifetime of bodily injury. For some reason the risk versus reward scenario seems massively out of whack.

I saw the same kind if injury happen to a soccer goalie. Opposing player slid into his leg as he was running towards the ball.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: ClovenSky

originally posted by: hillbilly4rent
All I can add is, the players go into it knowing the risk and the possible outcomes. It's their choice to play and get paid.

Even kids? They have the full knowledge of what a possible life altering injury means? A couple of years of fun and games for a lifetime of possible disability?

I played hockey and was a skateboarder pretty much all my youth and into my late 30s with the hockey.
I knew that every time I dropped in on a ramp or laced up my skates I had a chance to get hurt.

To me that is called living.

Granted times are different and now its more important for kids to think that everyone is equal , that everyone wins and that life doesnt sometimes have pain.
edit on 1-2-2018 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Meh so what. I honestly don't care how many NFL players # themselves up or get brain damage or die. They choose to make millions of dollars breaking and destroying their bodies for our entertainment. No one forces them. They've been doing it their whole lives if they don't understand the risks maybe they've already taken too many blowa to the head.

Honestly it's like any violent sport people choose to participate in. Boxing, someone mentioned hockey, martial arts or anything physically dangerous. They make the choice to do it and, depending on the sport, get paid well to do so. Why should I care if they get #ed doing so? Maybe they should have been accountants or something if they didn't want concussions or broken limbs.
edit on 1/2/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: hillbilly4rent
All I can add is, the players go into it knowing the risk and the possible outcomes. It's their choice to play and get paid.

I assumed that's why they get such large salaries.
Later in life someone is going to have to take care of their shattered bodies and brains.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Showing the clips in reverse is doing a disservice to the message the film is trying to convey.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ClovenSky

Parents.

That, at that level, is the parents job. Not the kids. College, and above, then it's the players.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 08:43 PM
link   
These are sports injuries - at least these guys are getting paid for theirs.
I have much more sympathy for high school and college athletes than professionals that chose their line of work willingly.

These athletes are paid handsomely - more than many of us will make in a lifetime.

I thought this was going to be unseen behind the scenes breaking footage but instead felt click-baited watching a slow motion injury highlight reel annoyingly done backwards with weird disjointed music that someone obviously thought would trigger an emotion of some sort...

Not much sympathy for these millionaires - sorry

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

What if your son wanted to do it how would you feel

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
a reply to: dug88

What if your son wanted to do it how would you feel

Honestly the same way. If my child chose to do something knowingly dangerous after I taught them the consequences there's not much more I can do except worry and hope they don't get hurt. The same as I would have to do if they decided to climb mountains, fly hang gliders, jump out of planes, race cars, surf, become stunt people, be a cop or a fireman, join the army or any number of other dangerous things they could choose to do.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: ClovenSky

Parents.

That, at that level, is the parents job. Not the kids. College, and above, then it's the players.

Exactly, mine is doing tae kwon do at the moment. He's 7.

I've had that talk with him and told him that he has to expect now that he will get injured sooner or later. It happens to everyone who participates in sports and that there are some sports where it's more likely than in others. And with each new sport, you have to think about the risks of getting really hurt vs. the rewards to you and decide for yourself if it's worth it.

And I will continue to be his mentor in this because I'm the principle former athlete in his life. I know more about what I'm talking about.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Football most certainly is rough on the body. I do think it is getting to the point that people are probably going to start reconsidering playing. Most sports will wear you down eventually, but football is just on another level of abuse on the field.

I think what is happening is that the strength and skills of the players is increasing faster than the body can sustain. Players are faster, bigger, stronger and all that strength is starting to exceed what a human body can probably take in terms of a pounding.

I've already decided that my son won't be playing football.

My body took a beating racing BMX as a teen. I am now paying for it dearly in my 40s. I see some of the former pro football players who had olympic levels of speed and they can barely walk.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
The fact anyone can actually downplay the severity of CTE after the Chris Benoit tragedy is truly depressing.

None of these sports compare to war and we have our kids enlist and fight them endlessly for no good reason. So, save your hyperbole for people that we let put their lives on the line for real.

Once war is eliminated maybe there will be something to talk about regarding the dangers of sports. Until then it is all a bunch of BS hypocrisy,

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 09:54 PM
link   

A snowflake Trumpian wrote this piece. A lame attempt once again to detract people from watching. Sadly even with the ratings drop. FOX just signed a huge television contract with the league. You guys are just sad.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Its not white or black war versus sports.

War truly is hell and the worst, and the epitome of the follies of man.

But war comes not out of a vacuum. It is built on something. It is an extension of the socialization of violence and conflict.

edit on 1-2-2018 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 11:31 PM
link   
As a youth, I rode motocross and dirt track. If I had kids, I wouldn't let them do it. It's just not worth being crippled for the rest of your life.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 02:52 AM
link   
sports..

when it is on tv, I wish the viewers would get some brain damage.

more than they already do. it's dancing with the stars for even more lamers.

ra ra ra go football team *kicks tv*

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Ive always kind of wondered if the astro turf versus real grass makes any difference. I know there isnt that much padding under those fake grass fields so they are basically playing on concrete. Real grass has to have a better give to absorb the shock of impact.
I realize not all the injuries occur from contact with the ground, but still I would be curious to know the numbers when it comes to injuries on fake as opposed to real grass. That is something that could at least be easily remedied. Not like they dont have the money to do it even if they do boohoo all the way to the bank

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 06:21 AM
link   

It may be counter intuitive, but get rid of the helmets and the big pads and you will find concussions drop off hugely.

Might be a bit of blood around, but what would you rather? Bleed a bit or mush your brain?

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Sports are dangerous, so is crossing the road.

Spectator sport dates back to the days of gladiators and not much has changed apart from the lack of deadly weapons. It was suggested that if we were to equip the teams (football or whatever) with weapons for the purpose of killing each other there wouldn't be an arena large enough to contain the spectator crowd so not much has changed over 1000s of years. We just attempt to keep the competitors alive these days (with mixed success)

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 06:36 AM
link   

I would wonder how long these chaps would last if they where playing Rugby?

No helmets, no padding.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join