It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Film the NFL doesn't want you to see

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 06:44 AM
link   
This is about compensation....if we want to watch the sport the sport needs to take care of the men providing the entertainment...Evil Knevil was also an entertainer...rock stars are entertainers and more of them end up burned out from dope than NFLers who end up with life altering concussion impacts.

This is about RECOGNISNG what post-concussion syndrome is.....many millions of people suffer from concussion related symptoms every single year which go absolutely unrecognised or are attributed to other things mistakenly.

The emotional rollorcoaster which can show up is scary...the violence can be deadly...the depression can kill.....the personality changes can end marriages and relationships.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

But I wonder how much of that outgrowth you talk about is truly the training and how much of it is fueled by performance enhancers?

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: one4all

Again though, these are people who make hundreds of thousands to millions ... far more than most average people can claim. If they handle that money wisely, they should be more than taken care of even with the shorter active career time in the NFL itself.

Why are treating this as if they are all poorly compensated wage slaves? They aren't.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: hillbilly4rent
All I can add is, the players go into it knowing the risk and the possible outcomes. It's their choice to play and get paid.

That follows along with the notion of allowing Olympic athletes to pump themselves up on whatever crazy Bane-like drugs they want and compete that way, to the point where their hearts just explode in their chests during competition.

For the glory of the game.
edit on 2-2-2018 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Edumakated

But I wonder how much of that outgrowth you talk about is truly the training and how much of it is fueled by performance enhancers?

I think it is both. Training is more effective. People are also just naturally bigger and stronger. This happens each generation.

Like I said, I raced BMX in the 80s/90s. I was pretty good. Expert level... state champ and nationally ranked. When I look at BMX tracks now, I wouldn't be able to make it around the track without killing myself. The skill level now is exponentially what was required when I raced. The Olympic BMX track was insane compared to what I raced on.

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: one4all

Again though, these are people who make hundreds of thousands to millions ... far more than most average people can claim. If they handle that money wisely, they should be more than taken care of even with the shorter active career time in the NFL itself.

Why are treating this as if they are all poorly compensated wage slaves? They aren't.

The issue is that the League and the Medical community were intentionally holding back research which showed the real tangible devastating impacts of concussions....the ENTRE issue surrounding concussions has been white-gloved by the medical community globally.....we are long past the time when there is realistic debate on the existence of global level conspiracies especially in medicine......there ARE GLOBAL LEVEL CONSPIRACIES....and this was one of them.

The wages are irrelevant.

How many regular people do NOT GET COMPENSATED when they are hurt at work by concussion syndrome.....people who are NOT ATHLETES....WCB and other INSURANCE agencies have saved billions if not trillions in unpaid compensations.

WCB Canada is one of the worst criminal organisations on the planet....all insurance companies are TPTB run fiat money laundering entities.

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell
Sorry no sympathy from me.
No one is forcing them to play...
Million dollar contract > blunt force trauma
You do the math.

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 08:33 PM
link   
The film the NFL doesn't wish you to see has relevant tangible and direct impacts on the health of everyones children.

When I was a kid I played many sports I was the Most Outstanding Male Athlete in High School...I played American Football and Rugby full contact.....I did not ride dirtbikes with my friends because when they made an error they broke bones and most errors were not completely their own faults so it was a no brainer for me....lol....they didn't play all the sports I played with contact but I was afraid of broken legs and bones....no we cannot teach our kids to stop having fun and taking managed risks....but we CAN define the levels of risk they are allowed to exercise...and to me this means NO HITTING ABOVE THE WAIST in contact sports right thru high school....any hitting higher must be taught and executed at a higher professional level of play with greater checks and balances and superior levels of management and support.

I used to love hitting in Rugby with no pads...football sucked because of head/neck injuries caused by the pads and helmets which encourage overhitting or over-committing to hitting plus the pain factor is removed and you aren't knocking down giants when nothing can hurt them and they are fully padded and their bulk is boss....lol...when those hogs fall and land on your legs and knees they rip things up and can end your career mehates field-hogs.....but in Rugby my 190lbs moving at a 4.6/40yd dash speed and flying 100% horizontally 4-5 feet off "the ground was DEVESTATING TO ANYONE ......even if you were 6 ¨4 and 250lbs....trust me they all fall HARD...I knocked out opponents playing sports...I broke bones.....none of my bones bigger than a finger were broken and I never got knocked out.Fortune favors the bold.

If an adult whose brain is fully and completely developed who is of sound mind and free will and who is INSURED decides to bounce his or her beanbag off of the brick-wall for pennies and pesos...welll its a free Universe right.....well here is the problem with the equation just outlined....lol....the Insurance Companies are in bed with the Medical people on all levels of the processes and both parties are in bed with the Players Union and with Lawyers and Judges.....soooooo....the support which should be in place for Professionals has been disenfranchised and undermined in an organised orchestrated manner for DECADES and this can be proven out using tangible evidence.

Simply put if the whole truth comes out billions in compensation would have to be handed out immediatly breaking the insurance Indusrtys cojones....lol...if one sport breaks the bonds of suppression there will be an OVERWHELMING TIDE OF OTHER SPORTS and sources of litigants with strong hands.

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: one4all
This is about compensation....if we want to watch the sport the sport needs to take care of the men providing the entertainment...Evil Knevil was also an entertainer...rock stars are entertainers and more of them end up burned out from dope than NFLers who end up with life altering concussion impacts.

This is about RECOGNISNG what post-concussion syndrome is.....many millions of people suffer from concussion related symptoms every single year which go absolutely unrecognised or are attributed to other things mistakenly.

The emotional rollorcoaster which can show up is scary...the violence can be deadly...the depression can kill.....the personality changes can end marriages and relationships.

im curious whos the one to compensate them? these people made the choice and id say have been compensated by stellar pay and healthcare well beyond the norm. theyve known the sport was dangerous its not something new at all and i just cant buy any claim that they were ignorant to the dangers. therefor its on their shoulders to carry the burden from the choices they made.
edit on 3-2-2018 by TheScale because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 10:19 PM
link   
The football players really don’t do as well as the NBA or the MLB players basically because their big contracts, say a 4 year 60 million dollar contract can have, for example, about 30 of that guaranteed--two years.

So after two years they can just get cut if they don’t perform or if the team doesn’t want him anymore for whatever reason, they won’t get the 30 million.

In basketball and baseball most of the contract time is guaranteed money

link
In November 2010, Donovan McNabb signed a blockbuster contract extension. A six-time Pro Bowler with the Eagles, McNabb had been traded to Washington that spring. His new deal was completed just days before his 34th birthday, and the widely reported terms—five years, $78 million, with incentives that could push that compensation as high as $88 million—were at the time among the most lucrative for quarterbacks, the NFL’s most expensive position. Fletcher Smith, McNabb’s agent, seemed delighted by the prospects of the new deal. “Now,” Smith said, “he doesn’t have to focus or concentrate on what next year will bring.” But there would be no next year. After the 2010 season ended, McNabb never collected another cent from that contract.

The true details tucked inside McNabb’s deal would be revealed days later. It turned out that nothing beyond the current season was guaranteed, and Washington had a team option on the five remaining years of the pact. That never came into play; McNabb was traded to the Vikings on the eve of training camp the following summer, and was out of the league for good once Minnesota waived him that December. What was left of his Washington megadeal simply voided, as if it had never existed.

The particulars of McNabb’s contract might have been unique, but the broader narrative—the gaudy, headline-grabbing numbers that turn out to be completely ephemeral—remains a common phenomenon in the modern NFL, where contracts are not fully guaranteed.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join