It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prof uses American flag as doormat in college 'art display'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Got a flag? Want to do art? Cut the flag in half, paint it white and throw her on the floor as a door mat. See art.

-A professor at Broward College in Florida cut an American flag in half, painted it white, and laid it on the ground as a doormat for a school art display.
-A BC student who is also a Marine Corps veteran took issue with the display, and wrote a letter notifying the school's president.
www.campusreform.org...

And the professor set up cameras to take video of people stepping on the cut in half painted flag. It is also reported that the professor was also laughing as people unknowingly stepped on the flag.

Angel Clyman, a spokesman for the Rosemary Duffy Larson Gallery, the location of the exhibition, identified the artist behind the display as BC Assistant Professor of Art Lisa Rockford.
“People are stepping on the flag as they enter most of whom don’t realize its an American flag. The artist had a camera set up taking pictures of people stepping on it as part of her art work,” Karcher continued. “I find this extremely disrespectful and kick in the gut as a veteran. I have lost many friends whose caskets were draped with that same flag.”

Further, Karcher claimed that the exhibit was designed specifically to have visitors step on the flag unawares.

“When one of the professors tried to stop me from stepping on it, the artist said 'don’t say anything,'” Karcher told Campus Reform. “I did not realize it was a flag until after I left the show and a professor told me what it was. So when I went back down to check it out, [and] it was a flag.”

Of course this is a "free speech issue" according to the college. Of course many colleges will cancel a conservative speaker at the drop of a hat if the student body gets their neck beards in a knot.

"Broward College understands that the piece, currently on exhibit, is controversial. The provocative nature of the piece is protected by the artist’s [c]onsitutional rights, specifically the First Amendment right to the Freedom of Speech. The piece represents the opinions of the individual artist and they are not indicative of the values at Broward College, the Rosemary Duffy Larson Gallery, or the other artists featured in the exhibition.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

What?! So you can't have American flags everywhere then I guess huh?
edit on 29-1-2018 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 08:38 PM
link   
That's fine everyone has the right to be a dick weed

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 08:41 PM
link   
id have snatched that flag up if i was the marine. their right versus my right. its my artistic display of american values
edit on 29-1-2018 by TheScale because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 08:42 PM
link   
i can give them art they won't believe.

+12 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Do the same with the Rainbow flag and see the poop fly!

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TheScale

I can't see doing this to any nation's flag. But it is freedom of speech, just seems colleges allow freedom of speech only for some (liberal causes).

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Interesting situation. Broward College is part of the Florida public college system.

The professor/artist has the right to free expression, but the students who were unknowingly stepping on the flag have a right to the protection of their self expression rights, as well. Obviously, they had no opportunity to opt out of participating in this *cough* art installation.

edit on 1/29/2018 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

I can't see doing this to any nation's flag. But it is freedom of speech, just seems colleges allow freedom of speech only for some (liberal causes).

yup seems the oppression seems to start early. teachers harrassing kids with military shirts, maga hats, etc but show up with purple hair, a slew of crappy jewelry, a dozen bracelets with various msg's, and a rainbow flag and your untouchable

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheScale
id have snatched that flag up if i was the marine. their right versus my right. its my artistic display of american values

Why haven't you choked to death "Kid Rock" by now?
He cut a hole in a flag and wore it like a poncho...

Now he's talking about running for office...
Even took a pic in the Oval Office with Trump. But hey, there's America, then there's 'Merica...

edit on 29-1-2018 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-1-2018 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I have no political issue with what she did. Personally, not much respect for her

How much you want to bet, if you walked into her class with a rebel battle flag, she would try to get you kicked out of school.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Every since I saw American flag bikinis and American flag wife-beater shirts at Tea Party rallies, I stopped listening to the conservative snowflakes on flag-related moaning.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Surely you can see a difference in intent to all of the misuses of flags that you brought up?

Or does intent mean nothing?

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Shock art is usually in poor taste and just looking for a reaction. Real art takes work, planning and a concept besides just pissing people off.

Still, not my monkey, not my circus...
edit on 29-1-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 09:42 PM
link   

You don’t have the right to steal.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 09:43 PM
link   

I don't like it a bit...but honestly whether I like it is immaterial and doesn't matter legally.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

Kid Rock DID NOT "cut a hole in a flag and wore it like a poncho".

That was a poncho made with a flag print on it.

What does Trump have to do with this? Nothing.

Obvious political hack is obvious.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonalThat flag has endured a lot worse, and it will endure a lot more.

edit on 10 27 2013 by donktheclown because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Broward College Professor of Art, Lisa Rockford, cut an American flag in half, painted it white, and laid it on the ground as a doormat for a school art display

See, this is how stupid the college professors are now a days, she could of just ordered it off Amazon

Deep State funded Modern Art

edit on 29-1-2018 by Infoshill because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 10:22 PM
link   

There are a lot of dangerous Anti-America professors out there. One also called our brave military men/women "scum" last week.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join