It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When is a referendum not a referendum? When it is a referendum. :)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

The United Kingdom European Communities membership referendum, also known as the Referendum on the European Community (Common Market), the Common Market referendum and EEC membership referendum took place on 5 June 1975 in the United Kingdom to gauge support for the country's continued membership of the European Communities (EC)—often known at the time as the "European Community” and the "Common Market" which it had entered on 1 January 1973 under the Conservative government of Edward Heath under the provisions of the Referendum Act 1975. Labour's manifesto for the October 1974 general election had promised that the people would decide "through the ballot box"[1] whether to remain in the EC. This was the first national referendum ever to be held throughout the entire United Kingdom, and was the only national UK-wide referendum held in the 20th Century and remained the only UK-wide referendum until the 2011 referendum on alternative voting was held thirty-six years later and was the only referendum to be held on the UK's relationship with Europe until the 2016 referendum on continued EU membership. The electorate expressed significant support for EC membership, with 67% in favour on a national turnout of 64%. The referendum result was not legally binding, however, it was widely accepted that the vote would be the final say on the matter and would be politically blinding on all future Westminister Parliaments. In a 1975 pamphlet, the then Prime Minister Harold Wilson said: "[. . .] I ask you to use your vote. For it is your vote that will now decide. The Government will accept your verdict."[2] The pamphlet also said: "Now the time has come for you to decide. The Government will accept your decision - whichever way it goes."

5 June 1975 United Kingdom referendum to gauge support for the country's continued membership of the European Communities (EC)...Yes, let's do it, people! Same question 2016 ohh no, don't feel like doing it today.

would be politically blinding on all future Westminister Parliaments.(1975)
Yeah, right, whattt???

Fire him, President Trump!

How do you interpret THAT. ATS?

Do you now see how crazy us Brits are?

We have just had a referendum we should not have had because the other one was final way back in 1975 and we have decided the exact opposite of what we decided back in 1975 and said it is final and binding. jajajajaja laughs my Mexican mouse!

YES, BRITAIN IS INSANE! I always knew it.

ATS, if ever I say yes to you it means no, but tomorrow it may mean yes or even no again. Now you see why the EU are getting angry with us. Look at what kind of companions we are. Talk about let your yes be yes and your no be no. With the Brits it is let your yes be no and your no be yes.

Surely, we can't be allowed to be that disruptive and cherry picking? I have never heard of anything as crazy as this before. How long will it be before we are back saying oh please can we come back in again now that it suits us to. Next time there is a war should the U.S may be say yes when they mean no? Makes one think doesn't it when you snub Mr President Independence Day. No snubbery snobbbery here, just feeling ashamed about the country I come from because they behave so arrogantly and have not caught up with the times.

We are shockers, America, No wonder even Trump is backing off from making a deal with us. I don't blame you, Donald.

On a serious note this is some serious manoeuvring opportunity for my stay in the EU camp. Think what a NYC Lawyer could do with this. I don't think many are going to want to deal with us if they check our history. We are toast. We may go cheap in the sales, lol,.Trump will just buy Britain and put a #ing great golf course on it.
We'll deserve it.

Now you understand why I am so crazy, guys. It is because I is British, yes, no, I mean, no yes.

edit on 28-1-2018 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

In 1975 Great Britain voted on a big list of really cool promises.

Then you voted Brexit because those really cool promises were all twisted and broken.

What is strange, but typical British, is that it took you over 40 years to understand you has been had.

P

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

It is well crazy.

When you are British being had is as British as fish and chips. My poor miserable fate. Dear U.S can I be an illegal immigrant, please, pretty please? Donald, HELP ME!

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Lots of referendum going round Europe.

When is voting in an election just an opinion poll?

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Lots of referendum going round Europe.

When is voting in an election just an opinion poll?

I do not understand the question. An election is never an opinion poll. An opinion poll is.

There is no referendums going on like that. It is not possible to play games like that. It is economically damaguing to all. In this knowledge I now know exactly why the EU are angry. I would be, too, if my partner did that to me every few years.

How can you succeed as a business if you are constantly messed around like that? Budgets of many billions that many people in multi states DEPEND on being played with because it suits you one time?

Nope, that is not fair. I know we are in big trouble. I have never seen British politicians looking so troubled and being so mousy. Everybody is scared stiff of it.

Mr Soros and I are not scared stiff. On this we would both be agreed saying stay in and don't be such a bloody fool. Trump doesn't want usd. He gave the British Prime Minister the cold shoulder the other day about that. When have you heard of Trump turning down a deal? That is WHEN IT IS A BAD ONE. It is a bad one. We are in trouble. I mean it.

I have a good feeling that by the end of the year we will be meek and listening. As it stands we are not worth listening to right now politically. Everybody knows it. We are being held at arms length in case it is infectious by EVERYONE. The only one who would be interested in us is Putin, lol.

edit on 28-1-2018 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 08:48 PM
link   

I do not understand the question. An election is never an opinion poll. An opinion poll is.

Referendums are non binding , de facto 'Opinion Polls'. Or did you miss Brexit...

Pleas don't play dumb

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Referendums are non binding , de facto 'Opinion Polls'. Or did you miss Brexit...

Pleas don't play dumb

Of course, I see. Yes, you are right, I mean no, you are right, haha.

That is why I think we have a chance still to stay in for now. Honestly, the mess we are in. Can you remember what happened to Greece when they got all defiant? They are doing the same to us, but are not telling us about it so we don't revolt.

We are really hard up and floundering. I know something will happen, so I am not worrying. I am just annoyed at time being wasted and poverty that results from rich silly people playing their silly games. As I said a while ago it is okay for them as they do not have to live with the consequences of their decisions, but we do.

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Hard to make sense of your rambling sometimes but if Soros is against Brexit it means Brexit is good for the Brits!
Thanks for bringing Soros into your posts

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   

The Austerity measures are the pressure applied to the people , part of the reason they (you) want out...

I don't blame you one bit. How much more blood and treasure can they squeeze from the populace?

Lets have an opinion poll, how may people are fed up?

See what happened in Catalonia?

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Are you still going on about Brexit,give it a break loser.
Go and be a remoaner elsewhere you enemy of democracy.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Parliamentary sovereignty requires that one parliament may not act in a way that binds successive ones.
The 75 ref was therefore illegal.

Furthermore, we are a monarchy, if Her Maj. Says leave, we leave.

Go live in the EU if you love it so much.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 02:26 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Agreed.
One of the biggest turn outs for a vote ever, and 52% decided leave.
The OP should do one to France or somewhere instead of bitching and whinging on ATS.

#ing traitor

edit on 29-1-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: added final sentence

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 03:14 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Perhaps you misinterpreted the OP, he/she wants to stay in the EU, not leave.
And the funny thing is the OP loves Trump as well but probably hasn't done much homework because Trump recently said that he would've taken a harder line with the EU regarding leaving arrangements.
The OP is clearly confused and a traitor, so hopefully booking the next ferry to France from Plymouth.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 04:51 AM
link   

In 1975 The E.C. was not the same organisation as the E.U. in 2016.

If it was, we would have probably voted to stay in.

edit on 29-1-2018 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Few things.

First, we didn't join by referendum. It was a unilateral decision taken by one Edward Heath...perhaps the most fanatical cheerleader for the Common Market there has ever been in British politics.

Second, the 1975 referendum came just 2 years after Heath signed us up. What can happen in 2 years? Exactly, not a lot. So we had no grounds for wanting to leave.

And, if memory serves, all the media (especially the newspapers) were rabidly pro Europe. So the man in the street was subjected to a torrent of pro Europe propaganda.

The second referendum came after the sober reflection of 43 years' membership.

Carry on.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 05:36 AM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

I wasn't alive when we joined the EEC but to be fair I probably would have voted to join, free trade is a good thing generally speaking.
I voted to leave the EU because I want the ultimate governance over me to be on these islands not in Brussels as a 1/28th minority pseudo nation.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 05:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9

5 June 1975 United Kingdom referendum to gauge support for the country's continued membership of the European Communities (EC)...Yes, let's do it, people! Same question 2016 ohh no, don't feel like doing it today.

NOT the same question.... Since when was a 'common market' (commerce

and trading) which it was then at that time agreed to become an European

UNION (ever closer ties) with a justice system ECJ which over

rules a soverign countries own justice system. An EU army? which means the

UK fights at the behest of Germany/France (lets face it they are the only ones

with any power in the 27 countries of the EU.)

Among the winners of the 'Couden-hove Kalergi prize' are *Merkle, *Van Rompy,

*Tusk, and UK's very own Blair, I think Cameron was in line for it if he had kept the

UK in.... but thats another story.

The UK has to be in control of its immigration and destiny and not informed by

Merkle how many immigrants we have to take in!!

This is the idea that to create an EU superstate, the will of the people has to be diluted, subverted or destroyed. This is to be done slowly and incrementally. A ratchet of many small steps to disarm the public, each step – like a ratchet – cannot be reversed. Each step – proposed as a solution to some ‘other’ issue (trade, fishing, defence) – seems reasonable enough that it can overcome objections and be implemented. The movement is inexorably from A through Z. But the totality of the steps (destination Z) is never revealed, for the people would never agree to it.

We have just had a referendum we should not have had because the other one was final way back in 1975 and we have decided the exact opposite of what we decided back in 1975 and said it is final and binding. jajajajaja laughs my Mexican mouse!

NOT THE SAME A blind man can see that!!!!!!

YES, BRITAIN IS INSANE! I always knew it.

On the contrary Britain has regained its sanity

Surely, we can't be allowed to be that disruptive and cherry picking? I have never heard of anything as crazy as this before. How long will it be before we are back saying oh please can we come back in again now that it suits us to.

Never going to happen ..... Brexit is the first rumble of the EU's disintergration

On a serious note this is some serious manoeuvring opportunity for my stay in the EU camp. Think what a NYC Lawyer could do with this. I don't think many are going to want to deal with us if they check our history. We are toast. We may go cheap in the sales, lol,.Trump will just buy Britain and put a #ing great golf course on it.
We'll deserve it.

Time for you to emmigrate I suggest you try Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia

to begin with.

edit on 29-1-2018 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 06:03 AM
link   

I'm a Brit and voted Brexit. Why? Because the difference between what the EU started out as and promised to be in the future to what it has become. Laws are no longer made in our country but made in the EU, if we attempt to make a new law we have to get EU okay on it. The EU leaders and those who really have the power aren't voted by any normal people but selected by a group of people who are also not elected. Brussels can take more money from other countries without question, just look at the news that other countries are kicking off because they're being told not asked but told they have to help fund the 9 billion that'll be missing when we leave (per year if I'm correct).

The EU is looking to move toward a United States of Europe, that's already been established by those in power. They wan a single figure in charge of ALL money across Europe, they want a single army across Europe, they want a European President who will have the power to over rule sitting governments, they want to be able to force migrant in take even when countries say they're having trouble with the ones they already have.

What else do you need to prove that Brexit is the right decision for the UK. Trump literally said last night in an interview that the Trade deal with the UK will come and will be great but we have a two year waiting period due to the legal and poor negotiation ability that David Davis and co have used.

I'm tired of people who don't want Brexit going online and on television and crying "Oh help I don't know what my country is doing leaving the EU" the EU is a dark mutation of what it was and doing a little research into how it has treated smaller less powerful countries who voted against what they want will prove that.

Finally to you I say this: Buck up and get on with life. If you want to leave the UK then do so, I'm sure there are many member states in the EU who will welcome you with open arms. You wanna go to the US, then hope on a plane and go. Stop making out we have no clue what we're doing and yes YES it is binding because ALL politicians have said so from the off.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Perhaps you misinterpreted the OP, he/she wants to stay in the EU, not leave.

I know. How dumbed down is an EU?

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

LOL yes!
OP is from Cornwall as am I, and I suspect he/she thinks EU social fund grants here for municipal projects are free money from Europe or something.
The truth is it's simply UK tax money being given back selectively decided by Brussels.
By leaving the EU we ditch the middle man and keep our own money to be spent as the UK sees fit.
And I prefer the holders of the purse strings to be on these islands where I can protest, not in a foreign country.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join