It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When is a referendum not a referendum? When it is a referendum. :)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: CJCrawley

I wasn't alive when we joined the EEC but to be fair I probably would have voted to join, free trade is a good thing generally speaking.
I voted to leave the EU because I want the ultimate governance over me to be on these islands not in Brussels as a 1/28th minority pseudo nation.

Same here.

We already have a government, one we can vote in, or vote out. I didn't vote for any of the goons in Brussels, I don't know most of their names, who they are, nor even what they look like. They don't even live in this country. How do we ordinary people vote out that staggering old soak Junker and the other appointed parasites? That's right, we can't.

Why are we democratically voting in and paying our own govt when all our industries and most everything else are regulated by appointees in Brussels?

I didn't agree with everything Maggie Thatcher said, but I certainly wish she was in charge of the Brexit surrender .. erm I mean 'negotiations'.

I love Europe and Europeans. I despise the EU.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

I probably would have voted to join, free trade is a good thing generally speaking.

That was the general impression of the public at the time, an impression heavily promoted by the government who deliberately distorted the truth to make the thing seem as attractive as possible. They knew all along that it wasn't this harmless 'common market' but a movement designed to unify the countries of the continent under a federal government.

People weren't completely dim, they realised that it could mean political union; but the government and media were keen to disabuse us of this notion.

We were lied to.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

My dad said pretty much exactly what you said up to the day he died.
It became a silent creeping super state far removed from the free trading club of nations as initially sold to the people.
I'm confident we'll get through it as a strong independent country, and if we take a few hits on the way so be it.

<< 1   >>

join