It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harvesting of Cell Phone User Data - A New Level?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   
A couple of weeks ago, I was doing some simultaneous translation work, stationed in a booth off of a main auditorium. The booth was lined with foam acoustic insulation tiles. I had my phone lying face up on the table in front of me, using it occasionally for reference.

On the wall right beside me were the insulation tiles. I remember, at one point, touching them, but aside from that I had no interaction with them. I didn't talk about them. I never did any internet searches for them. I have never purchased them or inquired about them in any way whatsoever.

A couple of hours after the translation work was over, I was looking at my Facebook account and this advert popped up:

This is the exact tile that was on the wall beside me. Of course, I can't say that it's the exact brand, but it looks identical to the ones in the booth that I use.

This is beyond coincidental and I find it very disturbing.

:
edit on 2018 1 22 by incoserv because: I could.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

Odd, really odd.

Allow me to play devil's advocate.
If this is a "thing" why didn't it bring up a pic/add for the hinges on the door? Or a door knob? Or the industrial carpet squares?

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Odd, really odd.

Allow me to play devil's advocate.
If this is a "thing" why didn't it bring up a pic/add for the hinges on the door? Or a door knob? Or the industrial carpet squares?

I don't know. I just know that it was, IMO, too specific to be coincidental.

Maybe my interaction with the tiles (touching them). Maybe it was just a specific enough item.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   

I worked in telecom for a while, I know they talked about phones having the ability to know what stores you were near and sending you a coupon as you walked by. This was talked about over a decade ago, so I'm sure it is much more advanced now. Basically phones have the ability to know where you are, the types of jobs that are near etc. Facebook is quite invasive and I really don't use it much anymore.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Last summer I was in Cabella's. My wife and I went in specifically to grab a couple pairs of mud boots for the kids. While she was sizing them both, I wandered over to the fly line wall and spent a good 15 minutes checking various fly lines. She was done, and when she came over to me she asked "Do we need new fly lines?" I commented that we should each probably buy an additional spool or two for our reels and then yes, we'd need new fly lines for the spools. No biggie, and not something I intended to purchase that day.

A half an hour later I received an email from Cabellas about their great fly line deals and the next time I was online the ads were fly line based. I had not used my phone nor my work PC to lookup fly line in any way.

Believe me, if I ever need to hit the tree line, my cell phone will first be duct taped to the first foreign flagged commercial fishing trawler I can slap it onto.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

I worked in telecom for a while, I know they talked about phones having the ability to know what stores you were near and sending you a coupon as you walked by. This was talked about over a decade ago, so I'm sure it is much more advanced now. Basically phones have the ability to know where you are, the types of jobs that are near etc. Facebook is quite invasive and I really don't use it much anymore.

Unfortunately, it has proven very beneficial for communication and advertising in my line of work. I would love to just kill it, but that would have negative repercussions in other ways.

But, then, it's like I'm, on some level, prostituting myself.

:

edit on 2018 1 22 by incoserv because: I could.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Last summer I was in Cabella's. My wife and I went in specifically to grab a couple pairs of mud boots for the kids. While she was sizing them both, I wandered over to the fly line wall and spent a good 15 minutes checking various fly lines. She was done, and when she came over to me she asked "Do we need new fly lines?" I commented that we should each probably buy an additional spool or two for our reels and then yes, we'd need new fly lines for the spools. No biggie, and not something I intended to purchase that day.

A half an hour later I received an email from Cabellas about their great fly line deals and the next time I was online the ads were fly line based. I had not used my phone nor my work PC to lookup fly line in any way.

Believe me, if I ever need to hit the tree line, my cell phone will first be duct taped to the first foreign flagged commercial fishing trawler I can slap it onto.

Yeah, I've had that kind of thing happen many times and know many others who have. It's clear that audio is monitored and processed. Difference is that this time, there was not audio and no internet searches, just my physical presence next to the article. The only indication of my nearness to the item in any was was visual.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Thank you so much for your tale, despite its dark underbelly.

If a certain age group of humans are completly willing to give all their private information then these giant firms will look for more ways to mine it.....ALL.

I am not suggesting that you yourself are unaware of these practices, after all you wrote the OP, its just I see more and more evidence of people living there lives by giving up personal data, I heard today that Amazon are opening A store in the USA which uses cameras to track your movement in store and then bill your credit card automatically when you leave.

This means the customer has CHOSEN to give up some basic rights just for the convenience of shopping

I believe Samsung also released a phone which uses the owners iris to unlock it, yeah because that was such an arduous task it required giving up a highly unique piece of information to a giant corporation

Now it could be argued that the consumer demands these advances (good ol capitalism
), but I believe these company's do their upmost to get as much of it as they can including (back to OP (finally
) using devices to directly listen and observe their surroundings.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I have had that happen before,
Even one time I was talking to a friend about Harley Davidson, then the next ad I see on this website was for Harley Davidson, I found that to be a little to coincidental.
Anyone else ?

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: JHumm
I have had that happen before,
Even one time I was talking to a friend about Harley Davidson, then the next ad I see on this website was for Harley Davidson, I found that to be a little to coincidental.
Anyone else ?

Again, that has happened many, many times both to me and to people I know; this, however, went a step or ten further. Monitoring and harvesting information from audio is fairly easy. Monitoring and harvesting information from the physical environment (when no audio or digital information was available) is an entirely different thing.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Scary stuff.

Location tracking stores

I've mostly made it my business to block ads whenever possible- mobile or otherwise... but I know they're still harvesting my information.

Think about how much information your phone has on you.
A GPS you can't really turn off ensures your location is known at all times.

Constant signal detection looking for any broadcasting devices- they know what TVs and radio stations are within earshot. Billboards now broadcast signals so your phone knows you've seen them.

Conversation recording. They can deny it all they want, we've all noticed these things advertising to us about things we've said out loud, but not searched

Search history.

Browser history.

Forum posts.

What news you've read online.

Every text message you send/recieve.
Your email.

Likely, your bank and credit card statements.

Scary, scary stuff.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   

My guess is that you searched or emailed about recording booths, audio recording, microphones, etc.

Also, in your translation work, was it Portuguese or German?
edit on 1/22/18 by AnonymousCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Last summer I was in Cabella's...

Click Here for fantastic information on the New Tree Line of products...

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: UpIsNowDown

Thank you so much for your tale, despite its dark underbelly.

If a certain age group of humans are completly willing to give all their private information then these giant firms will look for more ways to mine it.....ALL.

I am not suggesting that you yourself are unaware of these practices, after all you wrote the OP, its just I see more and more evidence of people living there lives by giving up personal data, I heard today that Amazon are opening A store in the USA which uses cameras to track your movement in store and then bill your credit card automatically when you leave.

This means the customer has CHOSEN to give up some basic rights just for the convenience of shopping

I believe Samsung also released a phone which uses the owners iris to unlock it, yeah because that was such an arduous task it required giving up a highly unique piece of information to a giant corporation

Now it could be argued that the consumer demands these advances (good ol capitalism
), but I believe these company's do their upmost to get as much of it as they can including (back to OP (finally
) using devices to directly listen and observe their surroundings.

All too often people fail to give their upmost. It's the nature of the human condition.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnonymousCitizen

My guess is that you searched or emailed about recording booths, audio recording, microphones, etc.

Also, in your translation work, was it Portuguese or German?

No, no verbal discussion, searches or emails regarding any of those topics. Nothing.

Translation as in neither of those languages.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Are you sh*tting me?

Please say you are!

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

Are you sh*tting me?

Please say you are!

I wish I was. Everything I've said here is 100% true and accurate.

There was no verbal or digital reference to these tiles or anything related to the tiles.

They are physically the exact same tiles I was standing by with my phone lying face-up on the desk in front of me.

The advert appeared about two to three hours after I had been in a room with the tiles on the wall, that being the only connection I had to them.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Well, then I have good news and bad news. You wife is building you a recording studio as a surprise for your birthday...and having an affair with a German actor.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Sure. If you have location turned on and you walk into a store, your phone knows you're in that store. Happens all the time.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv
A couple of weeks ago, I was doing some simultaneous translation work, stationed in a booth off of a main auditorium. The booth was lined with foam acoustic insulation tiles. I had my phone lying face up on the table in front of me, using it occasionally for reference.

On the wall right beside me were the insulation tiles. I remember, at one point, touching them, but aside from that I had no interaction with them. I didn't talk about them. I never did any internet searches for them. I have never purchased them or inquired about them in any way whatsoever.

A couple of hours after the translation work was over, I was looking at my Facebook account and this advert popped up:

This is the exact tile that was on the wall beside me. Of course, I can't say that it's the exact brand, but it looks identical to the ones in the booth that I use.

This is beyond coincidental and I find it very disturbing.

:
wow i'm glad i'm not the only one! a few days ago i was reading a thread(on here, oddly enough). it had nothing to do with google mind reading A.I. or data voyeurism or any such matter. in one members reply, they used the abbreviation "smh". i never new what that is short for, and never bothered to ask or find out. i've never searched it online, i've never asked anyone in text or verbally, only made a mental note, if at all. but a few days ago at work i was reading ATS threads about ufo's and saw "smh" in one reply. and for squirts and giggles i thought "im gonna see what that means..". i googled. i typed two words" what does". the first and only 3 suggestions it returned were "the fox say? trump have to do with russia?" , and "smh mean?". i mentally crapped in my pants. for a split second i thought my phone read my mind by scanning my brain waves through my eyes whist i'm staring at my phone. or it was just a HUGE coincidence ... it spun me into a dimension of paranoid i have never been in before. this crap's going too far .
edit on 08/022017 by MantheDevilsApe because: misspelling

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join