It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Found A Moon Anomaly Tonight While Browsing On Google Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I was bored tonight and for some reason I ended up on Google Earth, while reading news stories online. I noticed that they have options to explore a few planets and moons in our solar system, so I clicked on the moon. Spun the moon around like a top, with the pointer from my mouse and it stopped over Hausen Crater. Zoomed in to check it out and for some reason I noticed something odd, just below the crater. Zoomed in a little more and uncovered a strange formation in the shadow of a large crevice. I took 6 screen shots, that I've posted below. Someone may have noticed this strange anomaly in the past and started a thread on it, but didn't see anything using ATS's search engine. I even Googled it, but found nothing online. Naturally, the first thing I thought of, was this was some type of photo glitch, caused by the way Google Maps stitched the images together, but I'm no expert in photography. This is actually the first anomaly I've caught on the moon, so I think it's a cool catch.

SHARPENED THE ZOOMED IMAGE AND PLAYED AROUND WITH THE CONTRAST AND BRIGHTNESS

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 10:42 PM
link   
WOW! That's really cool!

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Cool stuff, they don't look like digital artifacts. They also don't look like shadows because they are so long and the light is hitting from the opposite side.

Really odd.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 10:44 PM
link   

We're looking at the floor of two valley's...right? What is the estimated length/width? Looks like straight, evenly spaced lines of chocolate, on a vanilla floor.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 10:46 PM
link   
And its not in a crater. With all the tech Google has,you would think they could "stich" the images together a bit better eh.
Good Google fu for you.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: shawmanfromny
I was bored tonight and for some reason I ended up on Google Earth, while reading news stories online. I noticed that they have options to explore a few planets and moons in our solar system, so I clicked on the moon. Spun the moon around like a top, with the pointer from my mouse and it stopped over Hausen Crater. Zoomed in to check it out and for some reason I noticed something odd, just below the crater. Zoomed in a little more and uncovered a strange formation in the shadow of a large crevice. I took 6 screen shots, that I've posted below. Someone may have noticed this strange anomaly in the past and started a thread on it, but didn't see anything using ATS's search engine. I even Googled it, but found nothing online. Naturally, the first thing I thought of, was this was some type of photo glitch, caused by the way Google Maps stitched the images together, but I'm no expert in photography. This is actually the first anomaly I've caught on the moon, so I think it's a cool catch.

SHARPENED THE ZOOMED IMAGE AND PLAYED AROUND WITH THE CONTRAST AND BRIGHTNESS
We've all seen those stretched out looking photo glitches...but this doesn't look like that. I'd say some kind of mineral deposits or ice streaked with mineral deposits.

Great find.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Have a look on Google earth on new Zealand's south island lakes,I've seen the same thing,under the water,funny thing is its only under the water,not on the hills or in the valleys surrounding the lakes ?

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Cool find! This is most definitely some sort of image-processing artifact. The imagery is from Clementine mission, and it was extensively stretched, adjusted, and manipulated in other ways in order to create a global map of the Moon.

The global base map was created using imagery from the Ultraviolet/Visible Camera on NASA’s Clementine orbiter. This seamless mosaic was assembled by the USGS from more than 400,000 geometrically and radiometrically corrected Clementine images.

This seems to be a part of the Moon that stays in the shadow a lot of time, because it's near the south pole. The WAC camera view from Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter provides a view without any artifacts: Link.

Here's one of the images from LRO's NAC camera: wms.lroc.asu.edu...

edit on 17-1-2018 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Here's India's view (low resolution version)

and China's CE-1:

edit on 17/1/2018 by OneBigMonkeyToo because: added china

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 01:59 AM
link   
thats totally a secret moon base!! nice job op

edit on 18-1-2018 by misterassist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 04:24 AM
link   
a reply to: hiddenNZ

Hey what's the plane that's at the bottom of Lake Wakatipu. It looks pretty big plane? Or did google earth just take a picture as a plane was flying across. ?
edit on 18-1-2018 by Cloudbuster because: Added extra info

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 04:52 AM
link   
these are everywhere lol its nothing

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 06:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: dan121212
these are everywhere lol its nothing

Just because is everywhere doesn't mean anything?

[snip]
edit on 1.18.2018 by Zarniwoop because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   
yup, its an common glitch that can be seen in a lot of other places in google moon

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Cool find, perhaps the moon is not made of cheese, and is instead composed of a scrumptious dessert ?

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Makes me think its an artifact, the lines are perfectly parallel to the picture's sides.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   
This is the actual Clementine image on which Google Moon based its map

ode.rsl.wustl.edu...

and here is a zoomed crop of the image

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Cool images but it continues to astound me how anyone can continue
to believe that anything truly "anomalous" would be allowed to be
published on a public resource like google.
and even if it were the resolution is so poor you could
plonk a Nimitz class carrier out in the open and all you would see
is a pixel or two aberration!

The NRO or its Russian/Chinese counterparts would have scrubbed
every frame to death first.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ShayneJUK

Of course they have, you will get a knock on the door soon from the MIB because you have found out their secret better get that tinfoil hat back on

top topics

join