It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to destroy DACA and the innocent

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

my guess is that there won't be a compromise till we see a countdown clock to the gov't shutdown on every mainstream news channel and the of every service member is slightly panicked at the thought of not getting their pay...
it's sickening and maddening how our gov't functions now days!!

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: pavil

my guess is that there won't be a compromise till we see a countdown clock to the gov't shutdown on every mainstream news channel and the of every service member is slightly panicked at the thought of not getting their pay...
it's sickening and maddening how our gov't functions now days!!

That goes without saying. Everyone "cares" about Dreamers...as political coinage.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Donald J. Trump‏Verified account
@realDonaldTrump
Follow Follow @realDonaldTrump
More
Senator Dicky Durbin totally misrepresented what was said at the DACA meeting. Deals can’t get made when there is no trust! Durbin blew DACA and is hurting our Military.

blame, blame blame.. its ALL he knows how to do.

he's a puss.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: knoxie
Donald J. Trump‏Verified account
@realDonaldTrump
Follow Follow @realDonaldTrump
More
Senator Dicky Durbin totally misrepresented what was said at the DACA meeting. Deals can’t get made when there is no trust! Durbin blew DACA and is hurting our Military.

he's a puss.

Dicky Durbin? Lol. You got to give him credit for all his good names of people.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: knoxie

Yeah, that transparency thing isn't working out for your side, is it?

That's OK... you can blame, blame, blame Trump.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I have yet to see anyone provide any proof of how a person's residence-legality personally, and I mean PERSONALLY, affects their life. Good or Bad. With specific examples.

How does a child who is in this country illegally or some young people slaving in restaurants or mowing yards affect YOUR life in any single, personal, day-to-day way. Details please.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: MiddleInsite

What we want, those who support Trump, and those of us who don't, but realize this issue needs dealing with, is for Congress! to the job of making the laws, not EO's, which should be, at least in this case, a very last resort.

Stop attempting to make this about Trump. This is about Congress failing to do their jobs.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: knoxie

...no. He gave his views on what happened at the meeting. Apparently Dubin is more inclined towards obstructing things, than in attempting to fix things.

But if you want to say it's Trumps fault, you go right ahead and knock yourself out.

Blame. Blame. Blame.

How about, instead...

Obstruct. Obstruct. Obstruct.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Same old republican song and dance. Rescue me.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

...and...

The same ol' Democratic song and dance, right along side.

Which is, of course, why nothing ever gets done that needs doing. Then one side blames the other...much like what is going on in this thread, and a host of others.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Rescue you from what? Reality?

Please reread the OP. Everything I mentioned has happened, and the expected result is precisely what I am afraid will happen. This is not about blue/red as much as it is about trying to circumvent the Constitution and thereby hurting people. In this case, it happens to be the Democrats who are primarily hurting people, but it could just as easily been Republicans.

The same old song and dance appears to be the one that goes

"Defend the Democrats! They're always right
Demonize the Republicans! They're always wrong!
"

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 08:18 PM
link   
If the republicans really wanted a DACA deal and “help people” (brings a tear to my eye), they can do it without democrats. Just like they did the tax cut for rich people. Trump doesn’t want a deal at all because of his cult.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: TXRabbit
I have yet to see anyone provide any proof of how a person's residence-legality personally, and I mean PERSONALLY, affects their life. Good or Bad. With specific examples.

How does a child who is in this country illegally or some young people slaving in restaurants or mowing yards affect YOUR life in any single, personal, day-to-day way. Details please.

You'll have to talk to someone that is trying to rely on the system for assistance.

Only thing I can offer personally is when my state had an annual budget of $86 billion for WIC/foodstamps etc, and the state is coming up short on census data, because people won't answer the door thinking its the man coming to deport them (for having a fake SSN). Then that annual budget gets shrunk because of that census data, and people that really need assistance can't get it because that state doesn't have as much money.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
If the republicans really wanted a DACA deal and “help people” (brings a tear to my eye), they can do it without democrats. Just like they did the tax cut for rich people. Trump doesn’t want a deal at all because of his cult.

We can't help the world anymore, we have plenty here that need help as it is.

I'd love to close the borders for a decade, get ourselves sorted out, and go from there honestly.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Trump did exactly what should have been done. Instead of passing a legally questionable EO by Obama , the matter should have been in Congress to begin with.
Now , Trump has placed it back to the appropriate group. As any honorable President should have done.
Yeah , I said honorable....

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Again, read the OP. Just because of the letter next to the name, it is not a given that someone will support any particular package. Also, the Republicans have a 1-point lead in the Senate. One. Uno. Singular. Less than two. It takes a 60-vote majority to end a filibuster and force a vote. Now, which is greater, 51 or 60?

How do you expect the Republicans to gather 60 votes to force a vote on the bill, when they only have 51 members and they need 60? Do you WANT the Republicans to just remove the 60-vote rule and do whatever they want? Or would it not be better for 9 Democrats... just 9 out of 49... to join in and help people out?

Is the red/blue dynamic more important to you than the plight of the DACA recipients? It certainly sounds like it.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 09:57 PM
link   

You do know it takes 60 vote majorities to end filibusters, right?? There are not 60 Republicans in the Senate last time I looked.

It's 52 to 48. Yep, just checked.

As my good friend theRedneck just pointed out, should they just do away with the sixty vote requirement so that they can, as you say, do it themselves? Or should the Dems maybe actually do something that might, maybe, help some folks who need that help.

DACA is now where it should have been in the first place. Congress. Not the Executive Branch.

All I recall hearing during the Obama admin from democratic party supporters was "obstructionism by the GOP". You all weren't wrong...but now that it's the Dems doin' the obstructing it's OK? How the heck does that even work? Suddenly two wrongs does equal a right?

You don't get to have it both ways. It isn't right for one group, and wrong for another. Or is it?

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 12:22 AM
link   
The way this whole DACA issue has been spun against Trump is pretty discouraging to watch unfold. Early Sat. morning, probably before most people would be up, I watched the DACA meeting on TV. I thought it was pretty cool to see the President and a bi-partisan group of senators discussing issues and thought Trump did an excellent job of trying to mediate and facilitate a solution. I actually was left with the impression that they had worked out that they would deal with the issue in two phases and everyone was in agreement to keep DACA in place ASAP in " phase one ", awesome !

The second part of " phase one " is the infamous "wall" and actually Trump even seemed to have support there too after explaining the wall isn't necessary in many areas where Mother Nature already creates a barrier and that a big part is actually fixing the walls / fences that already exist. He also goes on to explain that he believes the cost will be far less then what Dems are estimating, lol, and adds a good Zinger about another government project that went 17 billion over budget and claims that won't happen with this project and in fact he thinks he can do it much under budget, again awesome ! lol...we're not talking about the Great Wall of China here.

It seemed to me they all agree they would deal with" phase 2 " by March I believe, which deals with the more complicated issues of DAPA, / chain immigration and Trump basically tells them he believes they can work it out with compromise and he will sign what ever they come up with, again awesome. He rightly puts the power back in their hands where it belongs and has acted as a facilitator to get it done .....Pretty darn Presidential I thought !

Then as the sun starts coming up, lol, and people are waking up the blatant Trump smear campaign begins, starting with the Senator from New Mexico ranting about how she "crashed" the meeting and rather then saying to these rightly worried "dreamers" she's addressing " hey, even though I'm not a senior Senator and wasn't invited to the meeting, Trump graciously allowed me to attend and we made some great progress and it looks like you will all be allowed to stay and that can be signed this month " she decides to stick with the "We gotta keep Fighting" mantra...it was pretty disheartening to watch and from there it became an absolute " sh#t-hole" of pundits discussing how crazy and racist Trump is, never pointing out the obvious, that even IF Trump made that comment in a private meeting, by repeating it COMPLETELY undermines now " Phase 1" of DACA getting done this month leaving all the "Dreamer's" in limbo, totally sabotaging the people they claim to be fighting for and hurting the Country as a whole.

edit on 16-1-2018 by MountainLaurel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 01:33 AM
link   
a reply to: MountainLaurel

Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi were still butt-hurt over the two empty chairs with their name tags on the table, pointing out that they skipped the important meeting. To add insult to injury, neither were invited to the "civilized" meeting that was broadcasted and well-received by all the analysts, last week.

I believe Schumer, in particular, is a big reason why the DACA deal unraveled. He gives "marching orders" to Democrat Congressmen, and they follow those orders without questioning him. He's one callous old man.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 04:29 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi were still butt-hurt over the two empty chairs with their name tags on the table

That was a serious blow to both of them politically. Yeah, they can blame the 'Republicans' for whatever, but the obvious and simple fact is they were doing nothing... nothing... to fight it. Trump is certainly a master of the media, whatever else he may or may not be. In addition to that, we all heard for 8 years how the GOP was 'obstructing' everything that was pure and good, only to see firsthand the DNC is practicing the same obstructionism to a greater degree.

Their job is to represent their constituency. They failed at that by refusing to even show up to represent their views.

I believe Schumer, in particular, is a big reason why the DACA deal unraveled. He gives "marching orders" to Democrat Congressmen, and they follow those orders without questioning him.

You noticed that too?

When I look at vote tallies, it is pretty common to see a handful of Republicans breaking ranks and voting against the party. When a bill is being debated, there always seems to be a few Republicans who are holdouts. But when the Democrats are voting or debating, it seems to be right down the line, as though one could save time without losing accuracy just by asking Schumer how he votes and multiplying that by 48.

I personally like to see some individual thought go into a vote. Why pay that much money for our leaders to go to DC and vote on a matter when all one needs is Schumer and a $5 Casio calculator? It seems inefficient.

TheRedneck

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join