It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bad News, Everybody: Hydrogen Peroxide Is Useless

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Staph wont really be effected. For example.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

It may not have bacteria killing properties, but the aerated reaction does help to force things out of the wound.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   
The way it was explained to me was that Peroxide actually does more tissue damage than saline solution in a wound. Had to do 12hour wet-to dry dressing changes on my spouse's leg after they were harvested to use in is by-pass surgery. Like a idiot, the day they took the staples out he wouldn't stay in bed, he fell an his leg was open almost to the bone.

The original Vascular Surgeon, the Wound Care RN's ALL said using the peroxide would be the worst thing to use.

Hate to say it but the Cracked article isn't wrong. Thanks 727Sky!

BTW I'm a big fan of that wound care powder they sell at the feed store for smaller injuries. If it's good enough for a horse, it'll be fine for me.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I always thought we use hydrogen peroxide on wounds only if they have dirt in them, because the fizzing action can lift the particles up and out. Then you use antiseptic.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

The process of oxidation is a reduction process, turning organic compounds, i.e., life, into inorganic compounds, i.e. salts (no life).

The oxidation of microbes in the presence of oxygen will kill all life, just on the surface while the reduction process is ongoing.

Once the reaction stops, oxidation does too. Then cover the wound straight away to prevent foreign bacteria from alighting out of the air.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 09:13 AM
link   
This site Advanced Tissue offers some good advice on wound treatment. They have a large clinical market.

I do know that it's now widely accepted that peroxide and alcohol aren't recommended as disinfectants. They harm skin tissue. Soap and water are recommended as the first line, then a clean gauze dressing. Studies have proven that keeping a wound moist and covered accelerates healing. (Sometimes remarkably quickly)

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   
In england years ago you could get Hydrogen Peroxide easly.
now it is Very hard to buy. and only a low level!
now this? they Real dont wont people to have and use it.

they say you can use it to make bombs!
they are making it hard to get iodine in uk to.
you can buy a 15% on line!
edit on 13-1-2018 by buddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   
How many times do I have to remind yall that raw Honey is the best possible thing to put on a wound? It is #1 by a long shot.

It kills just about everything, increases healing, and lessens scarring.

How did yall forget???

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   

No, is good,

edit on 13-1-2018 by solve because: (no reason given)

Die germs, Die!

edit on 13-1-2018 by solve because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   
i remember my mom jacking me up with this # when i was a kid. i wonder if you can still get this

or she would hit me up with the iodine

burning like hell

i think you can rinse your mouth with a 50/50 peroxide and water

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Sure! If you have no further use for your mouth!

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: solve

Sure! If you have no further use for your mouth!

nah its legit
probably tastes like crap though

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: buddha

With the withdrawel of iodine as a salt additive and the addition of bromide in bread it really stuffs our thyroid.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Rare I dont think I've seen in Aust. any longer. They use betadine now. I think being iodine based its less toxic

wiki
Merbromin

Merbromin (marketed as Mercurochrome, Merbromine, Sodium mercurescein, Asceptichrome, Supercrome, Brocasept and Cinfacromin) is a topical antiseptic used for minor cuts and scrapes. Merbromin is an organomercuric disodium salt compound and a fluorescein. It is readily available in most countries but, because of its mercury content, it is no longer sold in Switzerland, Brazil, France, Germany, and the United States.[1][2][3]

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Hydrogen peroxide is only meant to clean the wound initially...it was never supposed to be used for prolonged wound treatment. It is very drying to the skin and can cause irritation by actually sloughing away while cells, collagen and elastin, and keeping them from doing their job to heal the injury.

It's just like anything else though...people think it's a catchall fix for infection prevention, just like neosporin or bacitracin. Just put some in the wound, cover it with a bandage and you're good to go. Problem is, covering and forgetting is the very easiest way to create a friendly environment for opportunistic anaerobic bacteria, which are typically the worst bugs out there.

People don't know how to properly clean and dress wounds anymore. Quick fixes are awesome and convenient, but the body is designed to heal itself. Keeping a wound clean and dry, replacing bandages frequently is typically all that is needed for minor cuts and abrasions in an otherwise healthy individual. The immune system does all the rest.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   
In other words big pharma beast system wants you to apply $20 per ounce patented germ killer on your cuts instead of $1 per pound peroxide 3%

Whats theyre not telling you that even at 3% it dOES kill most germs etc.. it OXIDIZES em!

Then you put on some antibiotic jelly and your body go to work healing, preferably without big pharma drugging you up just for each cut/scrape.

not a doc, not med advice.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: intrptr

Staph wont really be effected. For example.

True typically Staph, or similar is due to a suppressed immune system.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Your article is wrong hydrogen peroxide been shown to kill organic compounds. It will kill bacteria in a wound however it kills off your cells as well. Pour hydrogen peroxide on your skin you will see it turn to white
Powder thats dead skin cells.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   
they say aloe is useless ?

wtf I grew up in the desert and was a pyro. aloe saved me so many times not to mention all the times I wet to a water park at got roasted over the decades.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:16 AM
link   
ever use something other than aloe on bad sunburn?

I have had to go to ER and have them scrape my skin off cuz I used some pos product.

Ever have your skin so sunburnt and mixed w chemicals that cause more that the only option is to scrape it off

/aloerant

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join