It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bad News, Everybody: Hydrogen Peroxide Is Useless

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Just another article about long held beliefs about certain medicines that do not work as we were told.

But after centuries of blindly trusting the stuff, scientists have found that hydrogen peroxide doesn't prevent bacterial growth or reduce the risk of infection at incision sites. In fact, it may actually slow the healing process.

www.cracked.com...

Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites
please post one or two paragraphs,
a link to the entire story,
AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on Sat Jan 13 2018 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

I've never liked or used peroxide for wounds. For me, it does slow the healing process. Normally when I get a cut, unless it's severe, I let it bleed out for about 30 seconds to a minute before cleaning with soap and water, then covering with a bandage. The reason I don't immediately cover a cut is because you are essentially holding in whatever germs were on what cut you. Let the blood rinse out the wound for a minute or so, then clean and cover. Of course, at any sign of infection, seek medical help immediately. Before antibiotics, a majority of people died from infection. If you got cut, and it got infected, you were out of luck in most cases.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 08:02 AM
link   

It fixes my ear infections

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Also, I'm sure people still use peroxide to lighten their hair.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Before university, I was doing a 3 year hairdresser apprenticeship and every time we cut ourselves we put HP on the wounds. To be honest, I don't care if it helped or not, it fizzed and felt more hygienic than licking the wound or ignoring it. The fizz stopped the bleeding and I'd do it again in a jiffy.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Back in high school, my chemistry teacher always told me that hydrogen peroxide was useless for killing germs and to use alcohol instead. I believed him and have never used hydrogen peroxide to clean a wound ever since. It's just one of those things that really sticks in my head from school, and I figured he knew what he was talking about when he said, chemically speaking, it has nothing in it capable of killing bacteria.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 08:17 AM
link   

1. Cracked isn't a valid source for anything except leftist shills.

2. H2O2 may or may not prevent bacterial infections, I don't care enough to look into it. But what it is useful for is making explosives.
edit on 13-1-2018 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 08:20 AM
link   
It sizzles that BS off like alcohol never could.

The 'same scientists' say the same thing about aloe.

Did you know that 'all' plants produce H2O2 as an oxidant? They do so naturally in response to UV. Then they produce Superoxide Dismutase, an antioxidant, in response to balance out 'the equation'. They can only respond to psychical with chemical after all.

Oxidants kill germs.

No?
edit on 13-1-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Aldakoopa

Alcohol isnt very effective either.

Without a sterilizing chemical or an autoclave you cant sterilize. For hands its recomended you scrub vigorously for 2 minutes using soap and cold water, starting at the wrists then working down.

But for cuts....let ut bleed a bit and rinse is the best option. Then use TAO and a bandage.

For chafing or abrasion hydrocortisone cream works well.

Silver sulfadiazene is the best for everything, including burns.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Yes but I remember growing up would rather have that poured on a wound then mercurochrome,didn't burn as much and the foaming effect looked cool

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   

You realize cracked is a satire site with contributions from anyone who can type?. This should be in the hoax forum

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

The 'same scientists' say the same thing about aloe.

My Dentist, when I said I occasionally gargle or brush with a light solution, was saying it killed the good bacteria that helps our mouth. IDK seems like it does do something even if the germs themselves are not killed. I am sure it would change the makeup of some poisons since it is dying to give up that Oxygen to form H2O. I bet it isn't totally useless. Like someone already pointed out it can make explosives which isn't always a good thing.

edit on 13-1-2018 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Heres the PubMed site with the uses of H2O2

pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...=Therapeutic-Uses

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

The 'same scientists' say the same thing about aloe.Oxidants kill germs.

No?

That is what I believe. We use O3, ozone, for bacterial removal in water and air. Ozone oxidizes so well the EPA rightly found ways to bring the volume of O3 in the breathable air way down and now our car paints last longer.

edit on 13-1-2018 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Justoneman

There you go.

Note that antibiotics are 'good', and bad. The thing people dont realize is ALL adults average about 11lbs. (eleven pounds) of GOOD bacteria in their bodies (your body weight).

That's right germaphobes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now the reason you want to avoid ingesting antibiotics if you can avoid it otherwise, internal pills especially, is yes they do kill the bad germs, but they also indiscriminately kill the good ones that every sector of your body depends on.

Topically now, not so much a concern, but internally a major concern.

Okay its safe to cringe now!

Rejoice!!!
edit on 13-1-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Tell my hydroponic system that. It will miss the way it oxygenates the water.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Mike.Ockizard

LOL!

Nope!

H2O2 doesnt kill germs. None at all. Unless you're running an aeroponic systems and its damn near essentially the ONLY solution to germs.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   

First of all, peroxide should only be used to initially clean the wound. This article fails to tell you that it is an anti debreeing agent. The Oxygenation help cleans the wound of dirt and stuff.

Second of all, you should only use it right after the incident happens. Not daily. If used regularly you break down the new tissue your body is trying to produce, to help you heal. Also Triple Anti Biotic ointment helps.

The article is correct, but it will clean the wound much better than just H20.

Also peroxide and a sore throat, it does help when used as a mouthwash, it says to add it to H20 but I just swish, swish, bish, and spit.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Please tell me you understand that Cracked.com is a humor/satire site like the Onion?

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Oxidants kill germs.

No?

Yes.

Oxidizers are toxic to life. Ergo, Hydrgen Peroxide will kill life, all life. The reaction is over quickly, unlike say concentrated sulfuric acid.

You could put that on a wound I suppose, it will oxidize microorganisms too.

Whomever says H202 doens't work probably sells another product on the market for sterilizing minor wounds.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join