It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Historical Reason Why Calling Haiti A %-Hole Really Is Incredibly Racist.

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: JoshuaCox

I've not donated any time recently (been a few years)....but the last time they asked about Haiti (and a few other places) specifically.

Im taking that to mean that its entirely likely that Haiti is a #hole. If it isn't, then perhaps you can point to the amenities that the typical westerner would be accustomed to while travelling. Maybe detail some of the shopping, or local flair, that a tourist could take in.

There isn't any. Because it is a #hole.

That isn't a judgement on the people. Its an assessment of the state of the island relative to what a westerner would expect.

It's more of a Malaria thing. Haiti, along with a lot of other developing countries have that issue. A 12 month donating ban is to make sure the blood isn't contaminated. Haiti is one of the few Caribbean countries that make the list.

Caribbean Bahamas – No deferral, except for travel to Great Exuma Island which would make donor ineligible to donate for one year after return.
Dominican Republic – Entire country at risk for malaria except for the cities of Santo Domingo and Santiago.
Grand Cayman – No deferral.
Haiti – Not eligible for one year after return.
Jamaica – No deferal.
Roatan, Honduras – Not eligible for 12 months after return.
Puerto Rico – No deferral.

edit on 15-1-2018 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

Trump said he never said that and was backed up by several Senators.
But let's not let the truth hamper the nevertrumpers ;;;;;;
)))))

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

Trump said he never said that and was backed up by several Senators.
But let's not let the truth hamper the nevertrumpers ;;;;;;
)))))

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Justoneman

You would have to ask some claiming to be classy lol..

I’m a trailer park kid from Mississippi.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   
calling Haiti a S***Hole instead of a SepticTank has nothing to do with history or being racist...

I agree a S---Hole is vulgar in comparison to terming the Nation a "SepticTank" which involves a higher degree of thinking/planning/scientific principals than a primitive 'scratch the dirt of leaves' place to take a Dump in the Woods

no sophistication in denouncing the ~ less than ideal Hatian community experience ~ as not being eligible to be included in the 'modern era' in any sense of the UN 21st century agenda

i'd like to know where all the Billions sent to the Clinton Foundation to 'restore Haiti' to pre-EQ splendor got spent ?? hmmm
edit on th31151605151315252018 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Also history actually shows why calling Haiti a #hole is NOT racist. Because very recently in history, nobody gave a damn when Obama called Libya a #show or when Lindsey Graham called 3rd world countries hellholes. This is purely manufactured outrage because everything else they've tried to invent about Trump hasn't stuck. If you've been taken in by this, I highly encourage you to learn to think for yourself.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

With Haiti, correct. Same in many other non-western, equatorial nations where medication is beyond the means of many there. Africa has some added stuff relating to AIDS prevalence (or did, as I recall).

The upside is that "3rd world" nations are the burgeoning economies of tomorrow. And by tomorrow, i mean in the next 10 minutes. China, India, etc, tend to have standards of living that place labor at a high enough cost to develop the last development: Africa. We will see how that goes. But any hopes of having the international zoo that we like to romanticize will likely be dashed. Once development starts, population will boom (even more than it is now). And that pressure will topple most wild animal populations (especially the ones larger than a meerkat)

You can see some of the affluence that Africa is finding by the fact that so many are finding social media. I interact with villagers daily on various humor groups on FB. Its difficult to communicate, for sure. But that won't last forever.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I’m just saying the fact that they ask when donating blood Is not evidence for them being a “S-hole”.

There are dozens of variables that go into establishing how good a place is, and “ does the US have a waiting period on them to donate blood” is not one of those variables.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

If they can't afford basic medications to treat illness that is all but unheard of in the west....i think that is pretty indicative that they haven't climbed too far up Mazlow's pyramid.

To try to define empirically a word bandied about as metaphor is beyond absurd.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   

So it is not an accurate judge of a nation’s “$H!7iness” then??

I didn’t see how it really could be.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   

“ Good “ countries don’t have malaria??

That’s a bold assessment lol

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

“ Good “ countries don’t have malaria??

That’s a bold assessment lol

They don't have enough malaria that we quarantine them as blood donors.

I've lived 45 years in the US, among pretty dense mosquito populations. I've never known anyone who had malaria. My wife is a nurse, and has never heard of it being encountered by people shes interacted with. Since im not calling other medical family with this absurd question, im going to simply post some stats:

www.npr.org...

Malaria transmission in the United States was eliminated in the early 1950s through the use of insecticides, drainage ditches and the incredible power of window screens.

But the mosquito-borne disease has staged a comeback in American hospitals as travelers return from parts of the world where malaria runs rampant. In the early 1970s there only a couple hundred malaria cases reported in the entire U.S. but that number has steadily increased in recent years.

People visit these places with poor medical care, and bring it back to infect us in outbreaks. But beyond that...we have eradicated it in the US.

If Haiti could afford some trucks, sprayers, and insecticide, they could do the same. Maybe that is on the next step on Mazlow's pyramid.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: St Udio

I agree..

It wasn’t till he said “ why can’t we have more immigration from Norway (aka the whitest place on planet earth) instead” that made it being racist as the most plausible answer.

edit on 15-1-2018 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-1-2018 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I hope I'm not labeled a racist for taking anti-malaria medication a week before traveling to sub-Saharan Africa (it's a routine). Maybe the yellow fever injection makes me a white supremacist.

I keed! I keed!

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: and14263
Sad

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 12:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

So it is not an accurate judge of a nation’s “$H!7iness” then??

I didn’t see how it really could be.

It's an indicator of Third World health conditions.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 12:51 AM
link   

I just scanned the malaria list and quite a few countries with the highest rates were not what I would consider 3rd world..

Like basiclly every tropical region on the planet had thousands of diagnosed cases every year.

Seems to me it is more of an equator thing, rather than a “cultural” thing..

It’s really about mosquitoes, right??

Well mosquitoes don’t die during the winter in the tropics . Mainly because they have no winter lol..

Really all this is silly and off topic as humanly possible...

I doubt the originator is basing his beliefs off the local blood drives waiting list.. lol

It was a random “additional evidence “ claim, that though I don’t think it holds up, was never super relevant.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Guys for the sake of accuracy and not trying to nit pick here, 3rd world nations doesn't mean poor or underdeveloped it is simply non aligned, not siding with the Soviet Block or the U.S lead block.
Many poor countries allied with U.S did not fall under 3rd world category.

Plus underdeveloped, or developing nations is more accurate, since the cold war is no longer a thing for decades.
edit on 16-1-2018 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 01:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Boy you are selling that to the wrong crowd lol..

Logic and/or facts are not exactly something that wins many hearts and minds lol..

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 04:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Semantics.

I think its fairly clear what is being discussed

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join