It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK wanted to ditch the armys "Be the Best" slogan for being "non inclusive".

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

It's sooo much more fun to make it about liberals than about elitism.

The replacement for the crest was to be a union jack with the words army on it.

Elitism exists in the military, dynasties exist in our military... It's not like people are jumping to be in the military either, it's an opportunity and is treated as such.

I come from an area that helps fill boots, many people I know joined the military because it was their best opportunity to make money, further educate themselves and generally end up with a better life than the s### hole they were brought up in can provide.

This liberal bs is just that, bs.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990

It's sooo much more fun to make it about liberals than about elitism.

The replacement for the crest was to be a union jack with the words army on it.

Elitism exists in the military, dynasties exist in our military... It's not like people are jumping to be in the military either, it's an opportunity and is treated as such.

I come from an area that helps fill boots, many people I know joined the military because it was their best opportunity to make money, further educate themselves and generally end up with a better life than the s### hole they were brought up in can provide.

This liberal bs is just that, bs.

What is "elitist" about being the best?

Its the friggin army! It should want to be the best!

Only the most loony of liberals can object to encourageing excellence!

And the crest?

What is so non inclusive and elitist about swords and a lion? Its a historic symbol, tradition and historical roots are important.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Theprodicalson

originally posted by: DrStevenBrule
"Be the lowest common denominator" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Be mediocre?

Be like france?

Be the worst?

Be surrender monkeys?

Be limp wristed pussys?

Be defeated?

I guess you are still living in the 1950s!?

You should take off your blinkers old chap.

The French army are one of the worlds best now and are on many fronts.

Warmest

Lags

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Theprodicalson

Be like france?

Well France gave the Royals a free pass when they assassinated Diana on French soil; to me that shows that your specific example highlights the cowardice of the British according to your logic.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   

well unless your fighting the Italians

Any other nation you want to disparage, you may as well get it all out there in one post? I noticed you didnt state whether you have ever served in the military or where you're from.

I wonder why that is?

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   

It's the same story with all public sector jobs.

Still, the youth will get better pay (usually) by being in the military than in civilian life. What's the wage prospects for an under 24 year old?

From what I gather the military has tried hard to be inclusive and give incentives to those who are members or plan on being so.

It's never going to be as simple as "give em a bit more" and to be frank military pay is good, especially when compared to say the fire service or police.

Ahh but what am I saying?

The economy has been screwed for ages, public sector work has been less and less desirable with every passing generation.

At least the military is still ours though... Everything else is becoming quasi-public sector.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   

I am not military myself

You should join - you might learn some grammar and in time lose the xenophobia.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

well unless your fighting the Italians

Any other nation you want to disparage, you may as well get it all out there in one post? I noticed you didnt state whether you have ever served in the military or where you're from.

I wonder why that is?

I forget, we live in a post joke society.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   

I am not military myself

You should join - you might learn some grammar and in time lose the xenophobia.

You need to learn to grow a sense of humour.

And anyway, when you start attacking grammar it means you lost the argument.
edit on 10-1-2018 by Theprodicalson because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990

It's the same story with all public sector jobs.

Still, the youth will get better pay (usually) by being in the military than in civilian life. What's the wage prospects for an under 24 year old?

From what I gather the military has tried hard to be inclusive and give incentives to those who are members or plan on being so.

It's never going to be as simple as "give em a bit more" and to be frank military pay is good, especially when compared to say the fire service or police.

Ahh but what am I saying?

The economy has been screwed for ages, public sector work has been less and less desirable with every passing generation.

At least the military is still ours though... Everything else is becoming quasi-public sector.

Its not just pay. Moral is rock bottom due to very poor conditions in the army and lack of equipment at the moment.

You have soliders living in rat infested barracks.

Something is driving recruitment down and making soliders leave in flocks and its not a slogan and a flag.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrStevenBrule
"Be the lowest common denominator" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

link   

originally posted by: bigfoot007

I certainly was not " poor working class lads from deprived backgrounds", I take offence to this and in no way am I a liberal snowflake.

The Army i joined had people from all walks of life.

I am not military myself but have a number of friends in the army and I agree, its a very varied mix.

Out of curiosity then, why do you think the slogan wasn't resonating with recruits?

link   

And yet there appears signs that war maybe coming if the Trump-North Korea fiasco heats up.

You think the British would not rush into war? LOL They invaded Iraq without evidence of WMDs. After they supported his rise to power.

www.globalpolicy.org...

You think the British Govts cozy relationship with war manufacturers will not entail further deaths of British forces?

You dont appear to know much about how the real world works

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz

originally posted by: bigfoot007

I certainly was not " poor working class lads from deprived backgrounds", I take offence to this and in no way am I a liberal snowflake.

The Army i joined had people from all walks of life.

I am not military myself but have a number of friends in the army and I agree, its a very varied mix.

Out of curiosity then, why do you think the slogan wasn't resonating with recruits?

I dont really care if a slogan resonates with the weak coddled "everyones a winner" youth or not.

We should be encouraging excellence and striving to be the best one can be regardless and without compromise.

Instead of changing a very good slogan we should change the mind set of our weak enfeebled youth that dont seem to want to strive for excellence. And that should start in education.

And anyway, its not a slogan causing recruitment issues. Its poor conditions within the army.

And quite frankly anyone offended or put off by a slogan has no place in the army anyway.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

Even in this day and age of the net a rudimentary search of multiple sources would enlighten the OP; I suspect the OP is taking the piss.

You would think he's caught in some time warp thinking the Italian and French fighting resolve can be boiled down to some Hollywood caricature of some moment in time passing off as "history".

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   

And yet there appears signs that war maybe coming if the Trump-North Korea fiasco heats up.

You think the British would not rush into war? LOL They invaded Iraq without evidence of WMDs. After they supported his rise to power.

www.globalpolicy.org...

You think the British Govts cozy relationship with war manufacturers will not entail further deaths of British forces?

You dont appear to know much about how the real world works

Sure, i have no doubt the UK will jump in.

But conscription still wont be introduced. It would never pass parliament. Every MP and the PM knows that they would be out on there arses if they tried to pass conscription. It would mean the end of whatever party is in power. Not to mention massive civil unrest and riots across the country with Scotland and northen island likely breaking from the union.

Our goverment and union is politically weak and on thin ice as it is, conscription would break that ice.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   

a reply to: Lagomorphe

Even in this day and age of the net a rudimentary search of multiple sources would enlighten the OP; I suspect the OP is taking the piss.

You would think he's caught in some time warp thinking the Italian and French fighting resolve can be boiled down to some Hollywood caricature of some moment in time passing off as "history".

Again humour, I advise you get some.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Lack of equipment?

What kind of equipment?

Granted, I know only a few people in the forces. I've never heard of a lack of equipment being a problem, wrong equipment for the job maybe, a bunch of pencil pushers screwing up the logistical chain and providing substandard equipment for the job at hand most definitely.

I wouldn't say "lack of equipment" though... It's not like we were dropping darts in Libya via bi-planes.

Rat infested barracks are new to me though, maybe you can provide a link?

A kid I went to school with lives on barracks (often)
with his wife and children, can't say I've ever heard complaints about living standards.

Also, can you name a time (reported or not) that the British Armed Forces moral was apparently not rock bottom?

They've been rock bottom for at least 17 years, I was too young to notice beforehand.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   
"Be alright, I guess"
"Be the best. But the enemy is also the best because we dont want to upset or offend"
"Be Younique!"
"Love Trumps Hate"
"Aim for number 2"

Why do I feel that the armys of the future will have breakdance fighting and slay the enemy with Showtunes

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990
Good thinking

At least the military is still ours though...

Until dirty work need doing - and lack of accountability that the regular Army operates under

www.theguardian.com...

Britain is at centre of global mercenary industry, says charity. G4S is world’s largest security company as UK leads booming global private military industry, War on Want says....

Hilary of War on Want said: “Private military contractors ran amok in Iraq and Afghanistan, leaving a trail of human rights abuses in their wake. Now we are seeing the alarming rise of mercenaries fighting on the frontline in conflict zones across the world: it is the return of the ‘dogs of war’.”

He added: “For too long this murky world of guns for hire has been allowed to grow unchecked. In letting the industry regulate itself, the government has failed: only binding regulation will do.

I have a problem with taxpayers footing the bill - in the name of protecting "national" interest of mercenaries protecting private corporations from enriching themselves.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join