It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Trumps First State-of-the-Union Address on Jan 30th 2018 - Boycotting Is Not Smart.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I actually read the title of the thread as :

President Trumps First State-of-the-Union Address on Jan 30th 2018 - Boycotting The Not Smart.

I was about to send Don an attaboy....

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: gb540

On a serious note, the matter of North Korea is likely to come up, and if I were in Congress I'd want to be there in person.

I agree..it's never good to avoid the responsibilities that come with your elected office.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
I think they should all be there, if not out of respect alone.

They should also not boo or jeer him.

Considering that the address will be broadcast globally, I agree. CNN will globally broadcast enough bashing of Trump, both before AND after his address. But I think all CNN viewers around the world expect that. Unfortunately, that is the only outlet available in a lot of countries.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: carewemust
January 6, 2018

There's little doubt that President Trump's speech will be the most "unique" State-of-The-Union address ever delivered. It will probably garner the highest viewership of any prior address, as well.

President Donald Trump will deliver his first State of the Union address on Tuesday January 30, 2018, Speaker Paul Ryan announced on Thursday.

The address will be Trump’s first speech to the full Congress since his joint address this past February, a month after his inauguration.
Source: www.politico.com...

HOWEVER, the first of what may well be several short-sighted Congressmen has declared that he will boycott the President's address to the nation.

An Oregon Democrat has become the first member of Congress to announce a boycott of the State of the Union address.

Rep. Earl Blumenauer, who represents much of Portland and its eastern suburbs, announced he will not attend the presidential tradition on January 30, Pete Hegseth reported.

He warned that the speech would be another example of President Donald Trump's "destructive, divisive" dialogue.
Source: insider.foxnews.com...

I don't think its wise, or appropriate, for a member of Congress to alienate him/her self from the President. There may be a time when a special need arises within that Congressman's district, where help the President's assistance or support is desired.

What do you think ATS? Is it appropriate for an elected politician who represents millions of citizens, to become an "enemy" of the Administration in charge of this nation, for what will likely be many years? I think it shows gross short-sightedness, and a lack of caring about his/her constituents.

-CareWeMust

Personally I think it's sad anyone feels like they need to announce they are boycotting it. That screams I just want attention to me.

If you don't like him then don't go and don't be a part of it...no need for the drama.

Exactly right. It's usually obscure members who want 5 minutes of Twitter fame, and know of no other way to get it.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lab4Us

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

January 6, 2018

There's little doubt that President Trump's speech will be the most "unique" State-of-The-Union address ever delivered. It will probably garner the highest viewership of any prior address, as well.

President Donald Trump will deliver his first State of the Union address on Tuesday January 30, 2018, Speaker Paul Ryan announced on Thursday.

The address will be Trump’s first speech to the full Congress since his joint address this past February, a month after his inauguration.
Source: www.politico.com...

HOWEVER, the first of what may well be several short-sighted Congressmen has declared that he will boycott the President's address to the nation.

An Oregon Democrat has become the first member of Congress to announce a boycott of the State of the Union address.

Rep. Earl Blumenauer, who represents much of Portland and its eastern suburbs, announced he will not attend the presidential tradition on January 30, Pete Hegseth reported.

He warned that the speech would be another example of President Donald Trump's "destructive, divisive" dialogue.
Source: insider.foxnews.com...

I don't think its wise, or appropriate, for a member of Congress to alienate him/her self from the President. There may be a time when a special need arises within that Congressman's district, where help the President's assistance or support is desired.

What do you think ATS? Is it appropriate for an elected politician who represents millions of citizens, to become an "enemy" of the Administration in charge of this nation, for what will likely be many years? I think it shows gross short-sightedness, and a lack of caring about his/her constituents.

-CareWeMust

Personally I think it's sad anyone feels like they need to announce they are boycotting it. That screams I just want attention to me.

If you don't like him then don't go and don't be a part of it...no need for the drama.

It’s all the Dems know anymore...make a scene and look at me! No platforms, no reasonable alternative solutions to anything; nothing but blatant obstructionism. If I voted for some of these “D” senators/congresspersons that refuse to do their jobs, I’d be doing my best to iniate a recall and special election.

Actually, with a high-powered President like Donald Trump running the country, ALL members of Congress need to up their game. Working only 156 days a year just doesn't cut it.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Off Topic: But at least the Republicans were not trying to Impeach Obama at every turn. Democrats are demonstrating very unpatriotic attitudes at this point.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

CNN criticize Trump? Say it ain't so! Meanwhile Fox News will kiss his ass.

Funny enough, Fox refused to air Obama's first State of the Union address while ABC, NBC and CBS did and it wasn't their first time refusing to air his speech. Of course, Fox News did broadcast it and do you think they didn't bash him before and after his speech?

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
It would be worth showing up just to see him tell everyone how smart he is while knowing his administration all think he is an idiot.

Grimpoachi, Do you have quotes from Trump officials who said that he is an "idiot"?

If so, please share them.

If not, just say that YOU think he's an idiot, and quit denigrating real people like that.

TIA.

-cwm

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 10:48 PM
link   

How is that Off Topic? Here you are declaring that it isn't wise, or appropriate, for a member of Congress to alienate him/her self from the President yet Republicans have done it over and over in the past. You think this is something brand new to the political world or just something only Democrats can't do but Republicans are free to do?

Impeach? Well, funny you bring up impeachment because the last POTUS to be impeached was a Democrat by Republicans over a lie about a sexual encounter with a woman. There are many things wrong with Trump but Democrats aren't making any progress in impeaching him. Sure, some are vocal about it and a couple may try to get a vote started but we all they won't succeed and too boot, the majority of Democrats are telling their fellows to knock it off. The only time you Trump supporters have to worry about impeachment is when Muellers investigation is complete.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
This is stupid.

In every job I had, there were parts I did not like.

These people applied for a job, the people said yes, now do the work.

Just more stupidity from grandstanding idiots.

But that is USA politics.

P

Your words perfectly embody why I started this thread, Pheonix358. President-bashing Congressmen are hurting their constituency. That is NEGLIGENT AND DUMB!

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Fox News did NOT bash President Obama's personality. They bashed his POLICIES. BIG DIFFERENCE between WHAT Fox was "bashing", and what CNN is bashing.

CNN is an anti-American terrorist, masquerading as a "news" network.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Fox News did NOT bash President Obama's personality. They bashed his POLICIES. BIG DIFFERENCE between WHAT Fox was "bashing", and what CNN is bashing.

LMAO!!! Are you serious? Did you just start watching Fox News this year?

CNN is a terrorist organization? Are you kidding me? What is wrong with you? Do you know what a terrorist organization is?

Fox News isn't masquerading as a "news" network? Jesus...
edit on 6-1-2018 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 10:59 PM
link   

It is in the book fire and fury. There are quotes from many different people around him.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 11:00 PM
link   

As always, your opinion is welcome, Swills. I like experiencing how "the other side" thinks.

If we could get rid of the Anti-President / Anti-America segments of the Mainstream Media, a lot more civility would be present in dialogues, all across the country.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 11:00 PM
link   

I take what is a tan suit and Dijon mustard for 1000$ Alex.

EDIT

How could I forget Terrorist fist bump!
edit on 6-1-2018 by Pyle because: Because I remembered something even dumber to add to the list.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

CNN criticize Trump? Say it ain't so! Meanwhile Fox News will kiss his ass.

Funny enough, Fox refused to air Obama's first State of the Union address while ABC, NBC and CBS did and it wasn't their first time refusing to air his speech. Of course, Fox News did broadcast it and do you think they didn't bash him before and after his speech?

I will say that FOX(at the time)was the only broadcast station with their own 24 hr news channel.It was probably just more profitable for them to air it on Fox News.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Democratic Congressmen are Back Of The Bus Now , WGAF if they Show Up or Not , The Country , and Time Moves On..........

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

LMAO!!! Are you serious? Did you just start watching Fox News this year?

CNN is a terrorist organization? Are you kidding me? What is wrong with you? Do you know what a terrorist organization is?

Fox News isn't masquerading as a "news" network? Jesus...

You and I differ over whether Fox News bashed Obama's POLICIES or Obama's PERSONALITY. That's fine.

I'm serious as a heart-attack. The vast majority of CNN's programming puts America in a bad light to the world. That is Anti-American and therefore, damaging to our country. That is EXACTLY what terrorists seek to accomplish.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 11:07 PM
link   
This was made for Obama but I think it's applicable for any president.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 11:08 PM
link   

If we could get rid of the Anti-President / Anti-America segments of the Mainstream Media, a lot more civility would be present in dialogues, all across the country.

Well, then you should stop watching Fox News, especially when a Democrat is in the White House because no one bashes a president like Fox News.

Should we have just boring, non flashy news outlets who only present the facts? Sure, and they exist so go check out NPR but NPR isn't gonna get the ratings and advertisement money that cable news needs.

The answer here, stop watching cable news altogether. Tell me, where do you get your news from? Who do you read, listen too, and watch?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join