It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Trumps First State-of-the-Union Address on Jan 30th 2018 - Boycotting Is Not Smart.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

if what you are saying is true, that such an insult was leveled against trump would cause him to ignore the need of the group of people the congressman represents...
I have to ask, who is the most petty of the two?? and, just who just might be harming the country more?
being patriotic isn't marching lock step with the president, it's having the guts to break ranks with him if you see him marching the country in a direction you believe is gonna lead to a destructive result.
but I guess that there's alot of trump supporters who, much like trump, just don't understand the role the constitution has placed the president in... here's a clue, it's not the role of a dictator. his power is to be checked and balanced by the congress and judicial branches, they are not to be controlled by him.

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldtimer2

well, let's see, they skip the state of the union, which, will be recorded and easily accessible on you tube for years to come and transcripts will be easily found online of the speech.... really can't see where there's been any harm done by their Dereliction of Duty here...

as opposed to when the republicans went close to a year, if not more, refusing to even consider obama's judicial nominee which caused the supreme court to operate with an even number of members which meant that for a least a few cases, of which I have to wonder just how much money is invested in lawyers and court fees to get to the supreme court for a hearing.... doesn't matter because for a few, all that money was kind of wasted because the decision came out a tie and thus the lower court ruling was held...
I can't help but wonder just which Dereliction of Duty was more relevant to the little sisters who's case ended up even and thus reverted back to the lower ruling that they wished to have reversed??

edit on 7-1-2018 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Unique doesn't imply good. I'm sure it was be a spectacle to behold but so is a midget orgy. All bets are is he going to lie his ass off and tell us everything is great while the world is closer to nuclear war, the country is fracturing and more polarized than ever, while he and his buddies just ripped off the working public. Pretty much business as usual for disgraceful dotard.

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   

I don't think it is appropriate, but stop short of saying he shouldn't be allowed to do it. Of course he has the right to boycott it, no matter how misguided his effort is.

For example, for better or worse, Trump is our head of state and is in charge of what direction the government will head in. As a lawmaker, avoiding these informative meetings is a mistake at best. At worst, they do a major disservice to their constituents because they won't have any knowledge/input RE: the President's intentions/direction of the country.

You know, it is almost like none of those super-scary predictions about Trump actually came true. Far from it, actually. Our economy/stock market is still doing well (actually breaking records now), jobs are returning and Americans are getting a good deal again. Our taxes are lower than they've been in decades (middle class + corporate tax - great for jobs), we aren't forced (potentially at gun point) to provide the "individual mandate" forced financing of ACA, gun rights are heavily expanding and people are again realizing how crucial the individual Citizen is to proper function of the public's government.

The President's America First policy is stunningly seen by some as a negative, although no rational arguments against it/nationalism/etc have been presented. The US Gov's job is to do what is best for this country, and to ensure our unalienable rights are preserved and defended by any means necessary. That is why we instituted government among men. Apparently someone has decided that patriotism and nationalism are something to be derided, despite the fact that both qualities are needed for a strong and successful United States.
edit on 1/7/2018 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Does it matter if members are there or not? The reality is that every word that the President says, will be copied, and analysed, and dissected. And even those members who were not in attendance, will get a full copy of such, probably will watch on TV and get the written statement down.

Ultimately, there should be some semblance of order in the chamber and procedure present there while Trump is speaking. And maybe it is better that a few congress members not be present if they can not be civil.

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313

originally posted by: carewemust
I don't think its wise, or appropriate, for a member of Congress to alienate him/her self from the President.

like when they, for example, screech "YOU LIE" at the president when he's speaking?

Hey at least they bothered to show up.

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

Agreed

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Typical Democrat politician. They want everyone to listen and abide by everything they say, but the minute they don't agree, they walk away in protest or stomp their hooves like petulant children.

Let that broke bum run away and hide. Sissy.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Any person, especially a government official, who boycotts a state-of-the-union address is someone who doesn't truly care about their country.

If you really care, you will pay attention, even if it's to search for flaws in his claims.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Trump has done very well on his speeches as POTUS so far.

It's almost like the President who tweets and the President who gives speeches is a different person.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470

originally posted by: fiverx313

I don't think its wise, or appropriate, for a member of Congress to alienate him/her self from the President.

like when they, for example, screech "YOU LIE" at the president when he's speaking?

Hey at least they bothered to show up.

MAXINE WATERS finally decided not to attend President Trump's SOTU Address to the nation, saying that Republicans are Weaklings. It's not worth her time.

www.rawstory.com...

Honestly, I don't know what's taken her so long to boycott. But better late than never!

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   

edit on 1/15/2018 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

link   

link   
Now we add hater FREDERIC WILSON to the list of Democrats who will boycott the State of the Union.
www.foxnews.com...

The fewer haters in the audience, the less for liberal media cameras focus on.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Now we add hater FREDERIC WILSON to the list of Democrats who will boycott the State of the Union.
www.foxnews.com...

The fewer haters in the audience, the less for liberal media cameras focus on.

As I've said before, this is SOP from both sides of the aisle.

The media hasn't made that much of the protesters' actions during any speech before. I doubt they would now. They didn't focus that much on the women wearing white during his inauguration.

But less attention on the audience means more attention on the speech - remember how in past years, the Republicans would have an answer ready very shortly after Obama spoke and that commentators would annotate Obama's speech and do some realtime fact checking.

We'll see if the Trump speech holds up as well as other speeches have. I expect he'll go off-topic and end up in VerbalSoupLand again. His more recent off-script remarks have not shown him in a good light. He looks impressive when he talks because your mind is filling in the blanks for him. But reading the transcript shows an entirely different view.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Its bound to be an utter train wreck. I expect he will spend the majority of the time stroking himself while trolling his opponents.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   

I'm not going to watch Don the Con lie to me at elementary school level. Dotard is an idiot, and anybody who gives this charlatan any semblance of credibility is brown-nosing sycophant.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I haven't watched a state of union address ever since there were no more than 8 channels on TV.

Now I don't even have a TV(by choice) so I will read about it a day or so later.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 05:47 PM
link   
It is an official function of the Congress, an official joint session. As such, unless a member has a valid excuse for not attending such as an illness, incapacity, or possibly some manner of crisis among their consttutents which requires their presence, attendance is part of their job. If one of them "boycotts," then they are effectively not performing their job and should answer to the American people paying their salaries to perform said duties.

It's little different from me saying "I dislike my company president, so I'm staying home when he's giving this quarter's status meeting." I'd be fired fairly quickly and for good cause.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: whywhynot

As did Trump about repealing Obamacare.

Anyone who can think for themselves knows it was a gift to the health insurance industry and lobby....Trump has no intention of fixing it.

Not the first time an elected official has done this and it wont be the last. It just gives the right leaning trolls something to blog about.
edit on 15-1-2018 by jrod because: Drrr

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join