It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Spoiler Thread.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I liked how Finn and Rose's plan failed. It's a good twist since movie plots like to rely on reckless plans to get results and it only makes sense that you can't win a ware with solely reckless plans. Sometimes they have to fail. In fact, most of the time they should fail.

Plus the movie was foreshadowing their betrayal with the conflict between Leia and Poe over reckless commanding versus tactical commanding. Clearly, tactics and planning should win out more times than not and Poe needed to learn humility.

I also like how the movie dialed the nostalgia back significantly, and when it did show up things didn't go as expected. For instance, the big reveal of who Rey's parents were. Clearly, this is a call back to the infamous scene between Luke and Vader where he reveals that he is Luke's father, but THIS time the big reveal is that her parents are nobodies. Which is awesome since Star Wars has been criticized for a LONG time about how all these galactic wide events keep circulating around the Skywalker line.

Leia in space scene was bad. They should have just used that scene to kill her off since Carrie Fisher has already passed away outside of the films. It would have worked SOOO much better. I thought for sure that would be the changeover from Laura Dern as the commander since Fisher is gone. Though sacrificing herself to rail gun blast the command ship into the First Order fleet by sending it into hyperspace was one of the coolest scenes I've seen in Star Wars yet. Making the entire attack silent was really cool too.
edit on 18-12-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting
Oh and BB-8 Is now my fave droid.
Also did anyone like those bird porg things I admit if I want one I hope the falcon makes a permanent home for some.

I read the porgs were a result of the island they were filming on being overran with puffins. So they just digitally altered them into porgs since they couldn't fully get rid of them during shoots. I find them to be harmless toy fodder and a fun little bit of comic relief.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
I thought I saw his name in the credits. You are probably right but I swear I saw it.

He was a producer.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

originally posted by: testingtesting
Oh and BB-8 Is now my fave droid.
Also did anyone like those bird porg things I admit if I want one I hope the falcon makes a permanent home for some.

I agree I like BB-8 and I liked the porgs but if it wasn't for toy sales I don't think the porgs would have been introduced.

Why Star Wars: The Last Jedi’s Porgs Look Like Puffins

The breakout beast of Star Wars’ latest installment, The Last Jedi, seems to be the adorable porgs. From their first appearance in the second trailer for The Last Jedi, fans have been fascinated by these creatures, regardless of whether they are charmed or repulsed by its adorable nature. With its sad soulful eyes and waddling walk, many have compared the porgs’ appearance to that of the humble puffin.

It turns out that this resemblance is no coincidence. In an interview with StarWars.com, Creature Concept Designer Jake Lunt Davies revealed the origins of the porg and how their inclusion in the film was originally born of a practical purpose and not just the desire of Disney’s marketing department to sell stuffed animals based on the creatures.
Porg Star Wars The Last Jedi Porg CGI Puppet Why Star Wars: The Last Jedi’s Porgs Look Like Puffins

According to Lunt Davies, the porg was born of difficulties director Rian Johnson had in shooting upon Skelling Michael – the island in Ireland that served as the planet Ahch-To. Skelling Michael is a UNESCO World Heritage Site as well as Special Protected Area. This means that it is a crime to disturb the local wildlife, including the colonies of puffins native to the island.

“You can’t remove them. You physically can’t get rid of them. And digitally removing them is an issue and a lot of work, so let’s just roll with it, play with it. And so I think [Rian] thought, “Well, that’s great, let’s have our own indigenous species.” … The puffins were sort of a big influence on everything, really.”

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

A) i think it was saying that the force has sides.. just that the Jedi were foolish for thinking the force favors one side over the other..

When the force favors balance.. something that hasn’t been seen since the formation of the jedi..

Since their creation , the force hasn’t been balanced. It has had WILD swings from light to dark.

I think this has led to the force popping out demi-god, force babies like a Vader.

I think Vader was a demi-god, mom was mortal and his dad the force.. that makes luke/leia quarter gods, and Kylo 1/8th god..

Well I think rey is a demi-god too. So that is why her skill level rivals anakins, not Luke’s.. and it explains why rey manhandled Kylo. It would be like veteran Hercules fighting a rookie Aries..

Imho Vader was never meant to be a light side force user..

The Jedi had ruled the galaxy for a thousand years.. the force WAS crazy out of balance, just toward the Light side. So the force created the most powerful sith the galaxy has ever seen.

Once anakin killed almost all the Jedi, luke was born to level out the dark side.

Luke kills the emporer and Vader dies, so Kylo is born to the dark side.

Kylo kills all Luke’s students and walls himself off from the force, so Rey is born to level the playing field.

B) I hated Luke’s death.. not that he died.. I I just don’t think him dying due to over using the force gels well with what else we saw..

The Kylo/rey mind meld didn’t kill Snoke..

I didn’t hate the astral projection, but the dice part was weird..

C) strangely enough I think the only way to actually achieve balance is to have Kylo and rey rule the galaxy together..

If rey joins Kylo , the war is over... all she would have to do is ask.

Then Dark side Kylo could love rey , but in the selfish darkside kinda way. The territorial love of an animal. All passion and lustfulness..

Then lightside rey loves Kylo AND the galaxy in the Jedi love everyone..

Kylo’s love of rey could be the leash that keeps the darkside in check.

Ps!!!

I loved the POV stuff of luke considering killing Kylo!! If the great luke skywalker tried to murder you as a child AND YOUR HIS NEPHEW?!!

That could definitely send someone off the edge!!

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
Luke kills the emporer and Vader dies...

Luke didn't kill the Emperor, he was nearly killed by him. Vader is the one who tossed him down the shaft.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Fair enough.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Oh and snoke is not dead.
Notice he looked better than he did when in the force awakens just as luke did when he did a force projection.
I still think he is plagus also.
The guy who directed TLJ doesn't do straight forward stories.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I saw the movie yesturday. To be frank I was disappointed, I respect the leagues of words on this thread saying it was a good popcorn theater flick, I agree with that, but as far as lore this movie butchered it. Not to mention the political enduendo, didn’t do it for me. It was pretty shallow as far as depth, in a story in the Star Wars universe. If not for the Star Wars title this in my opinion would just be a B grade flick, that in no way without the sound track and the Star Wars models and special effects would make any money for creativity.

I don’t care about any of the characters in this Disney Wars and will not be excited to see the 3rd installment.

How did I come to this conclusion? This installment of Star Wars was continuing right after the end of the first movie... The girl Jedi, went from not having a clue about the force to killing trained Sith Lord body guards to moving tons of rocks lol, our cryptic explaination for that is kylo being a dark Jedi. Countless other loose ends also, the Luke subplot falling on its face, it just goes on and on. We are suppose to leave the theater understanding the story being told not wondering what we just watched. The special effects were good thou. The story not so much, I guess the Disney version of Star Wars for the next decade will lead to cartoons or Pixar animations etc.
edit on 18-12-2017 by Bicent because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t
Everyone’s plan failed lol..

With the exception of luke.. no one has any effect what so ever on the plot..

The code breaker failed..

Luke didn’t train rey..

Rey didn’t retrieve luke..

Ditching the capital ships didn’t throw them off..

Killing Snoke didn’t stop the attack.

Like nothing they tried worked lol.. kinda like Indiana Jones:raiders of the lost arc..

The movie goes exactly the same with or without the hero’s involvement..

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Yeah. Sometimes that's how life works. # happens and you just happen to be along for the ride. In fact, that's how it usually happens.
edit on 19-12-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 07:00 AM
link   
The working title for the next one is called Black Diamond. Snoke got a ring from Vadors castle.
OMG gotta wait for two more years and already I'm attempting to fix the pieces together...gonna be a long hard wait.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I went to see this a second time and I could actually really see some of the problems that people have.

I think what has happened is that Rain Johnstone wanted to expand Star Wars lore by expanding the force, now I like this idea in principle. I think that Star Wars was always about much more than the Skywalker saga and I also think that the whole idea of the Force was needing a bit of a revamp because in the originals it was quite limited and lets face it the phantom menace really messed it up.

The problem however is with changing the lore it still has to fit in with the previous movies.

So if a Force Ghost can now manipulate the living world then why did Yoda not just turn up on the second Death Star and deal with it?

Things like that are a bit of a problem for me.

I hated the fin and rose stuff even more on my second viewing.

I still loved killing snoke and Luke.

Strangely I actually felt that everything with Leia overall worked on second viewing, even her flying bit.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 07:21 AM
link   

So if a Force Ghost can now manipulate the living world then why did Yoda not just turn up on the second Death Star and deal with it?

Maybe Luke was the first to discover it just like Qui Gon was the first to do the Force ghost thing.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Maybe Luke was the first to discover it just like Qui Gon was the first to do the Force ghost thing.

Thats a good point.

could be that its just something unique to Yoda due to his power in the force.

the ability to transcend both the living and eternal force.

I had no problem with the force projection.

Although another flaw, how did snoke manage to bridge their minds, he didn't even know what ray looked like, where she was, her full name, none off that yet he managed to bridge her mind with Kylo's without even him seeming to know about it.

meh, I guess sometime we have to remember these are movies for 12 year olds

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Although another flaw, how did snoke manage to bridge their minds...

Was it really him sine they were still doing it after he got the chop? Maybe he was just eavesdropping or pushed Kylo to make contact.

Abrams said all questions would be answered in IX and it would also tie into all the trilogies so we only have 2 more years of speculation. Which I kinda like as it harkens back to the time between the original trilogy.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Talking about the speculation.

something I really loved was how they took all the fan theories and metaphorically chucked them over Lukes shoulder!

I really do want to know more about snoke though.

I think it will be quite telling if we get a book on him in the next year or two, if not then it can only mean they are going to give us more information about him in episode 9

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 07:43 AM
link   

I would wager the things we think were settled in this film actually weren't and will be addressed in the next one.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I would wager the things we think were settled in this film actually weren't and will be addressed in the next one.

I agree, I don't think that ray's parents are nobodies (although I would be ok if they are), just seems like something that was given to much of a set up TFA.

Also I think its a possibility that Snoke isn't dead, we know that other dark side users have sought the power to be immortal it could be possible that Snoke has achieved this. Its stated I think in the novel for TFA that snoke saw the rise and fall of the empire so its implied that he is very old. Also the damage to his face and body suggests someone who has survived fatal wounds before.

I thinks there is a possibility he could be back.

pretty slim possibility but possible nonetheless.

Seems to me they wanted to set up Kylo as the "big-bad"

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Also I think its a possibility that Snoke isn't dead, we know that other dark side users have sought the power to be immortal it could be possible that Snoke has achieved this. Its stated I think in the novel for TFA that snoke saw the rise and fall of the empire so its implied that he is very old. Also the damage to his face and body suggests someone who has survived fatal wounds before.

Which is why I kind of hope he is Darth Plagueis.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join