It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Spoiler Thread.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bicent
The girl Jedi, went from not having a clue about the force to killing trained Sith Lord body guards...

Where did you get that they were Sith Lords?

edit on 19-12-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
Also I think its a possibility that Snoke isn't dead, we know that other dark side users have sought the power to be immortal it could be possible that Snoke has achieved this. Its stated I think in the novel for TFA that snoke saw the rise and fall of the empire so its implied that he is very old. Also the damage to his face and body suggests someone who has survived fatal wounds before.

Which is why I kind of hope he is Darth Plagueis.

That is exactly were I am.

I don’t think they will do it though but I want it to be true

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
a reply to: dfnj2015
C) strangely enough I think the only way to actually achieve balance is to have Kylo and rey rule the galaxy together..

This would never work! Marriage is a democracy of two but her vote counts more!

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
something I really loved was how they took all the fan theories and metaphorically chucked them over Lukes shoulder!
I really do want to know more about snoke though.

I loved the scene when Luke throws the light saber over his shoulder!

The Finn / Rose connection did not bother me as much as how Finn went from fleeing on the escape pod to fearless rebel hero totally committed to the cause. I think there needed to be some dialog there.

In terms of the new way of looking at the force, I think there's something in the comments Luke was saying about the hubris of the Jedi. What is the dark side of the force? I would claim it is metaphorically authoritarianism.

"A regime who acquiesces to DISORDER"

"All remaining systems will bow to the FIRST ORDER"

I think the new way of looking at the force is that it is morally neutral. And it is the character of what Jedi or Sith brings to the force that determines if it is light or dark. I think that is what Luke was getting at with his commentary that the Jedi's order must come to end because people are imperfect.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

That’s why it works lol....

Because rey is the “sharing” lightside and Kylo is the “selfish “ darkside..

That’s the only way it could work.. if the darkside is “dominant.” No one can check it..

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Bicent

I think rey being a force baby fits and explains it all.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 07:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

why wait until it had destroyed x amount of transports?

I thought that was pretty evident after Vice Admiral Holdo reveals what she was doing to Poe, getting them safe to the abandoned station on the planet.

Luke was the whole franchise, Luke Sky Walker, the maps to trace him etc.. then for him to just be a vision in the final fight and to die so needlessly?

Luke dies?

needlessly?

I'm not a star wars fanatic

Just a regular fan here and I know that significance of Luke becoming a force ghost.

Nothing needless and certainly no death which was clearly shown by Yoda influencing reality to create the lightning that burnt the temple down.

edit on 17-1-2018 by InhaleExhale because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Which is why I kind of hope he is Darth Plagueis.

Personally, I think it more likely he's Safir-Dias (the guy who commissioned the clone army in the first place).

Since Clone Wars is part of the new canon, he was thought to be killed in a crash caused by assassins...but then there are hints he was captured and tortured by Dooku. Both of which, would certainly explain his disfigurement, and his hate of both the Jedi (for no rescue) and the Sith.

This would really tie things up nicely.

As for Rey, though I'm not crazy about it, I think it more likely now that she's basically a reincarnation of "the one", just like Anakin before her. In fact, I think that's what she saw in the cave...that she's just one among many that are brought about by the Force to bring balance. At least they didn't mention midichlorians or an immaculate conception.... Hence, "a child of the Force"....

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   

The Finn / Rose connection did not bother me as much as how Finn went from fleeing on the escape pod to fearless rebel hero totally committed to the cause. I think there needed to be some dialog there.

Finn wasn't "fleeing" because of some self-preservation. He was trying to get somewhere safe so that when Rey came back, she didn't do it in the custody of the First Order, or floating in space. At least, that's my take on it.

The more puzzling thing, why the Resistance leadership didn't trust their folks enough with the plan, letting them think instead, they were trying to be martyrs....

Or, why the First Order didn't just assume the Resistance ships' course, then send a couple of ships (through hyperspace) to emerge on the other side of them, then open up and blast them to rubble...but then, I'm no General or anything...

Even stranger though, in the beginning of the next film, we'll find our heroes in a seemingly unwinnable position. Unlike before (in ROTJ), there is no large fleet coming to rescue them. The First Order seems to basically rule absolutely. We honestly haven't been given a ton of info on just how vast their control is, but we also saw them basically wipe out the base power centers of the New Republic in TFA. So, where do they go from here?

It's put the writer and director of the next one, in a hell of a spot. Hope they have a decent plan.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I saw it last week and while I didn't hate it this movie in no way, shape or form deserves to be called Star Wars. In fact, if this were a stand alone franchise no one would be talking about it because the movies are so pedestrian.

My gripes with this film? Probably a lot that has been said before.

Snoke: yet another disposable villain in the mold of Darth Maul and Count Dooku. No back story, no fleshing out the character just here he is and let's off him.

Leia in space: WTF, really? Force trance, act of will or whatever...nothing can survive in space. Besides, there was a golden opportunity to kill her character off. Now they will have to deal with the loss of Carrie Fisher in the next movie.

Porgs: cute but totally unnecessary. At least the Ewoks had a purpose. It was like Disney needed them for merchandising.

The cave on the island: a rip off of the cave on Dagobah. Does every Jedi home world have to have an evil cave? It's said Yoda chose Dagobah because it was a dark place and that would cancel out his light side presence there...and therefore go undetected. At least that makes some sort of sense. There's no rhyme or reason for the cave at the Jedi temple.

Rey: still no back story and we still don't know much about her parents save that Kylo told her they sold her off for drinking money. You just know that Kylo and Rey will turn out to be siblings. Especially while they got each other on speed dial.

What did I like? I did like Adam Driver's performance. Especially how he went from bad ass to groveling little boy when Snoke beat him down. It shows he's not in control of his emotions and can be easily manipulated when you push the right buttons.

I also like Poe's little adventure...and Yoda! Expect to see him I did not!

I may not be as versed in all the Star Wars canon as others so if I'm off base then maybe someone can shed some light on it.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I think it gets into the whole "grey" Jedi thing, which was something that Luke finally came to realize, that the dogma of the Jedi, nor the Sith was correct.

hence his speech about the force doesnt just "die" if the Jedi no longer exist, and how it was all just arrogance.

That harkens back to the old "Balance to the force" preaching we heard over and over again. I believe the "grey" Jedi are that balance, and Luke basically realized that at the end, hence he brought balance, he facilitated Rey.

I could be wrong though, just my two cents.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Snoke: yet another disposable villain in the mold of Darth Maul and Count Dooku. No back story, no fleshing out the character just here he is and let's off him.

Maybe, maybe not. I do hope we get his back story in the next one. There's a GREAT theory that he is actually Master Syfa Dias (spelling?), the gray Jedi who commissioned the clone army. The cartoon, Clone Wars, is canon, and there is an episode about him (one of the lost mission ones) that assumes he may have not died in a crash, and was instead captured and taken by Count Dooku. The Jedi couldn't rescue him, the Sith tortured him, so if he did get away, he'd be damaged from the crash and torture, and likely not feel like a Sith or Jedi. It's a pretty solid theory.

Leia in space: WTF, really? Force trance, act of will or whatever...nothing can survive in space. Besides, there was a golden opportunity to kill her character off. Now they will have to deal with the loss of Carrie Fisher in the next movie.

Not like Leia hasn't manifested Force powers before. As for surviving in space, this isn't anything non-canon as a Jedi ability. Heck, Phantom Menace basically starts with Obi Wan and Qui Gon surviving a gassed room. I think Carrie needs to go out in a much more heroic way. Personally, should have been HER ramming the ship. That would have worked.

Porgs: cute but totally unnecessary. At least the Ewoks had a purpose. It was like Disney needed them for merchandising.

Well, of course this was just for merchandising, so they had a purpose, hehe.

The cave on the island: a rip off of the cave on Dagobah. Does every Jedi home world have to have an evil cave? It's said Yoda chose Dagobah because it was a dark place and that would cancel out his light side presence there...and therefore go undetected. At least that makes some sort of sense. There's no rhyme or reason for the cave at the Jedi temple.

Actually, Luke does explain it, watch the film again and you'll see. It's a balancing thing.

Rey: still no back story and we still don't know much about her parents save that Kylo told her they sold her off for drinking money. You just know that Kylo and Rey will turn out to be siblings. Especially while they got each other on speed dial.

No, not siblings. I used to think Rey was Luke's daughter. However, after the movie, this seems implausible. First of all, keep in mind that Kylo and her connection, and the shared idea of her parents, ALL came from Snoke. He even basically told them this in his throne room. My bet is that Rey is a lot like Aniken was, a "child of the Force" as Luke said. Virgin birth bit (but after the reception of this in Phantom Menace, they just decided to keep it on the downlow a bit....)

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   

No, not siblings. I used to think Rey was Luke's daughter. However, after the movie, this seems implausible. First of all, keep in mind that Kylo and her connection, and the shared idea of her parents, ALL came from Snoke. He even basically told them this in his throne room. My bet is that Rey is a lot like Aniken was, a "child of the Force" as Luke said. Virgin birth bit (but after the reception of this in Phantom Menace, they just decided to keep it on the downlow a bit....)
a reply to: Gazrok

Agree with most everything you said. I probably watch it again at some point so I'll keep an eye out for the cave bit. The above though? I'm not so sure. I know Snoke SAID that he set it all up...but it wouldn't be the first time a dark lord lied or stretched the truth a bit. Also, Kylo seemed to soften a bit when he said he knew who her parents were. Was it just posturing for her to join him or is something really up? And lastly, it wasn't revealed until Return of the Jedi that Luke and Leia were siblings. I would expect a similar twist especially with J.J. Abrams rebooting...I mean directing the last installment.

That's my theory. This is a conspiracy site after all.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Yeah, but the problems of it are, how would Ren not know? How would Leia and Han not recognize their own daughter? Some kind of Force mind wipe? Just doesn't seem like that would be kosher in the storyline.

At first, I thought TLJ may actually provide MORE evidence she's Luke's daughter. I mean, he closed himself off to the Force, so if he impregnated a gal, and she later had the kid (and he closed himself off just after conception), he just may be unaware he had a daughter out there.

After he reopens himself to the Force, THAT is when he really decides to help, and it is JUST before Rey left, so if she is his, he knew just then (but obviously didn't say).

But, given her Mary Sue abilities, the immaculate conception by the Force bit may be more likely. I think either is probable, but the idea of her and Kylo as siblings just requires way too many disconnects to be the case, for me anyhow.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   

I don't know...but I kinda look at it like this. If she really is Han & Leia's daughter then they abandoned her for her protection (like Luke was left on Tatooine). Although leaving her to fend for herself is pretty harsh. If Leia knows then she's not speaking to protect her from Kylo. If Kylo knows then he's not saying because how would she react knowing her killed their father? That would make for one real messy family reunion, right?

Also, I remember some of the books mentioned Han & Leia having twins. I know they're not cannon anymore but maybe they used some material from them.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Han and Leia did have male/female twins. They also had another son as well. (in the books).
Even Luke has a son in the books. (and a wife, in Mara Jade). - Thing is, in the books, they are still together, and she's basically ruling the New Republic. There is no First Order, only the Remnants of the Empire, holding a small area of the galaxy.

But Disney threw all of that out the window. (and Zahn is a little peeved about it, (the author), if you meet him at some point). He's a cool guy, used to teach then started writing. He really wanted to see Thrawn and them on the big screen. At least he's seeing Thrawn in some incarnation that's canon though.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Speaking of the books, can you make some recommendations on which are worth reading? I read one years ago and thought it was just okay...never picked any more up though.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: RomaSempre

Read the bane trilogy from legends it’s amazing and a good start.

There isn’t anything that is a must read in the new cannon but I loved reading catalyst and the aftermath trilogy is a bit meh but you might enjoy it.

The new Vader comic though is amazing

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Speaking of the books, can you make some recommendations on which are worth reading? I read one years ago and thought it was just okay...never picked any more up though.

The Thrawn Trilogy picks up after Return of the Jedi, that's my first recommendation. Zahn is a great author. I actually heard the audio books first, then read them. I actually recommend the audio books of these for the simple fact that music and sound effects are added, as well as good voice acting. It basically is like watching a movie in your head. (at least for me, laying back with my eyes closed and listening).

Thrawn is a great villain and strategist, and he's always a few steps ahead of the heroes. Some great other characters as well, and a method for neutralizing the Force, which really throws the heroes for a loop.

Any of the books with Coran Horn are good too. (character)

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Just an FYI, D.B. Weiss and Dan Beinoff, the guys who gave us HBO's Game of Thrones, just got the tab from Lucasfilm for an additional trilogy besides the one Rian Johnson is working on.

It's gonna be Star Wars every year until your croak.

new topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join