It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why did trump do this??

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Here's the info I just learned.
In 1995 the congress officially declared that they would move the embassy to jeruslem.
Right after that then president bill clinton signed a waver that would table that move for six months.
Six months later he signed that waver again. This waver has been signed by every US president every six months for the last 22 years. Trump signed that waver in june and then again this month. So nothing can happen with this move for at least another six months and at that time My guess is just like all those who came before him he will sign it again.

Trump is not the one who decided that the US would recognize jerusalem as the capital of israel. Bill clinton and the 1995 congress did. All trump did today was tell us about something that happened 22 years ago and then immediately signed a waver tabling the move for another 6 months.

I feel like a sucker for even caring about this.
Why the hell would trump go on tv and tell us about something good that bill clinton had done , claim it as his idea and then kick it down the road for another six months??
Here is an article about it I will quote the part that pertains to this thread.
www.businessinsider.com...

After his speech, Trump signed a proclamation recognizing Jerusalem as Israel's capital, as well as the waiver delaying the move another six months.

This is the wiki about the 1995 deal that specifically states that the USA recognizes jerusalem as the capital of israel.
en.wikipedia.org...

The act also called for Jerusalem to remain an undivided city and for it to be recognized as the capital of the State of Israel

Since passage, the law was never implemented because of opposition from Presidents Clinton, Bush, and Obama[5], who view it as a Congressional infringement on the executive branch's constitutional authority over foreign policy

So far trump as done the same thing by signing the six month waver. Will he sign it again in june 2018? We are just going to have to wait and see.
edit on 6-12-2017 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-12-2017 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Who knows? Sounds kind of counterproductive to his announcement. I'm sure some will come in saying it's a brilliant move on Trump's part... somehow.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Could you please post proof that Clinton and Obama did this on live television? I'll wait.

+12 more 
posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Politicians just say that they'll do things.

They never really intend on doing anything.

Trump is different.

*shrugs*

I find it refreshing and amusing.

The same people in congress that voted for this are now losing their minds over doing this.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Maybe he just wanted to get some media exposure on the issue. Every other dumb idea he has gets blasted all over the country 24-7. This one is no exception.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Templeton
Maybe he just wanted to get some media exposure on the issue. Every other dumb idea he has gets blasted all over the country 24-7. This one is no exception.

Muslims all over the world are getting exposed as hypocrites right now. They are going ape # over a embasy that moves to a different city.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Did you read the full OP? Trump did exactly what Clinton, Bush, and Obama did. He still signed the same waiver of the 1995 law which delays the transfer of our embassy to Jerusalem for 6 months. So Trump in this instance is exactly what you're claiming he is not; he said one thing but still signed the waiver like the others did. From the OP's link:

After his speech, Trump signed a proclamation recognizing Jerusalem as Israel's capital, as well as the waiver delaying the move another six months.

ETA: As the OP noted, every single President since the law was passed has signed 6 month waivers every 6 months specifically to delay the transfer of our embassy there. Trump even signed the waiver before.
edit on 6-12-2017 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Apologies.

When did Clinton/Bush/Obama state that the US recognized Jerusalem as the capital of Israel?

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Perfectenemy

Muslims all over the world are getting exposed as hypocrites right now. They are going ape # over a embasy that moves to a different city.

He has a knack for doing that to people.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Because Bill Clinton did not do it nor did he, or any successor, institute the new law / change in status.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   

What did he do that was different? making a lot of noise before doing the same thing that every president for the past 20 years has done?

This seems more like a "Sound and fury signifying nothing" sort of situation. I'm more annoyed that I wasted time paying attention to this.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   

That's actually what the OP's complaining about. They're saying that Trump got their hopes up by saying that Jerusalem is Israel's capital & that he would move our embassy there, yet he still ended up doing like everyone else by signing the 6 month delaying waiver again.

Signing the proclamation that says Jerusalem is the capital is the "all talk" part, while signing the 6 month delay waiver is the "but no action" part.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Slanter

What did he do that was different? making a lot of noise before doing the same thing that every president for the past 20 years has done?

This seems more like a "Sound and fury signifying nothing" sort of situation. I'm more annoyed that I wasted time paying attention to this.

I wonder. . . . if it's "nothing" then why is every leftist and Hamas (sorry, redundant) losing their # over it?

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   

But Trump said he was going to do it then turned around and signed something that says that he won't do it.

*shrugs* (as in I'm confused)

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

That's actually what the OP's complaining about. They're saying that Trump got their hopes up by saying that Jerusalem is Israel's capital & that he would move our embassy there, yet he still ended up doing like everyone else by signing the 6 month delaying waiver again.

Signing the proclamation that says Jerusalem is the capital is the "all talk" part, while signing the 6 month delay waiver is the "but no action" part.

So the urine stains on pants of everyone hating this is not a big deal?

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Slanter

Hence why I haven't commented once in those other threads about it. lol I wanted to see all of the final details before coming to any conclusions.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   

The same people in congress that voted for this are now losing their minds over doing this.

Who voted for this in 1995 and is still in congress today "losing their minds about it"?

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Perhaps it's mandatory to wait for 6 months until you can move the embassy. Something is definitely different this time. I don't remember Bill or Obama announcing this to the world though.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

But Trump said he was going to do it then turned around and signed something that says that he won't do it.

*shrugs* (as in I'm confused)

We'll see if he does do it then won't we.

I'm guessing you'll hate it, because.

But oh well.

*shrugs*

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   

You now what man, this right here makes more since than anything.

We are still going to have to wait 6 more months to see if we signs the waver for a 3rd time or something actually happens.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join