It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why did trump do this??

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
a reply to: DBCowboy

The same people in congress that voted for this are now losing their minds over doing this.

Who voted for this in 1995 and is still in congress today "losing their minds about it"?

Diane Feinstein for one.

edit on 6-12-2017 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Perfectenemy

originally posted by: Templeton
Maybe he just wanted to get some media exposure on the issue. Every other dumb idea he has gets blasted all over the country 24-7. This one is no exception.

Muslims all over the world are getting exposed as hypocrites right now. They are going ape # over a embasy that moves to a different city.

Well to be fare jerusalem is where the muslims most holy site is located , the dome of the rock.
So moving the embassy there is like america moving into their back yard. I guess muslims don't want americans that close to their holy temple.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   
If I read it right, someone was asking when Obama said Jerusalem was the capital of Israel? Not only did he say it was the capital of Israel, he said it should be undivided.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   

I want to answer you seriously but I feel like the wording in your last 2 posts is intentionally trying to bait me.

Either way, a lot of the people in the Middle East are pissed because this is also touching on a recently leaked conversation from one of Saudi Arabia's diplomats (I think it's a diplomat). In the leaked conversation, the Saudis were planning to unilaterally settle the Palestinian issue with Israel without giving East Jerusalem to the Palestinians or the "right to return" to Palestinians. They were also going to force Abbas to resign, as they'd done with Lebanon's Prime Minister Saad Hariri. The deal also basically called for Saudi Arabia to be allowed nuclear weapons in exchange for equal status with Israel (technically it said that either Israel should give up its nukes or Saudi Arabia should be allowed to have them).

There's more about that leak and our conversation about it HERE. And since a lot of people think Trump & Kushner had a hand in the current Saudi crackdown w/their Crown prince and the leaked deal between the Saudis and Israelis, you can do the math on why some are mad about that. And that doesn't include the other reasons which I simply won't get into.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

The same people in congress that voted for this are now losing their minds over doing this.

Who voted for this in 1995 and is still in congress today "losing their minds about it"?

Diane Feinstein for one.

Wow, I read up about her just now. What a foolish thing for her to do. I mean didn't she realize that her voting information was publicly available.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

That's actually what the OP's complaining about. They're saying that Trump got their hopes up by saying that Jerusalem is Israel's capital & that he would move our embassy there, yet he still ended up doing like everyone else by signing the 6 month delaying waiver again.

Signing the proclamation that says Jerusalem is the capital is the "all talk" part, while signing the 6 month delay waiver is the "but no action" part.

I think the waiver was to give time to the State Department to locate a new location for the Embassy.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Diane Feinstein for one.

Wow, I read up about her just now. What a foolish thing for her to do. I mean didn't she realize that her voting information was publicly available.

Of course they know that. They just think we're all stupid. Just like when they call tax cuts "better for the rich". They think we don't understand percentages. They could cut our taxes 50% and only cut the top rate 1% and the rich are still getting a bigger tax cut because they make so much more money. But they have such a low opinion of you, they don't realize we learned percentages in our #ty schools they won't let us move out of.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Thanks but that's not about the american embassy moving to Jerusalem is it?

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Perfectenemy

originally posted by: Templeton
Maybe he just wanted to get some media exposure on the issue. Every other dumb idea he has gets blasted all over the country 24-7. This one is no exception.

Muslims all over the world are getting exposed as hypocrites right now. They are going ape # over a embasy that moves to a different city.

Well to be fare jerusalem is where the muslims most holy site is located , the dome of the rock.
So moving the embassy there is like america moving into their back yard. I guess muslims don't want americans that close to their holy temple.

Correction: It's our 3rd most holy city. Mecca houses our holiest site, which is the Kaaba that's located in the Grand Mosque of Mecca. Medina is our 2nd holiest city, since the Qur'an was revealed to the Prophet Muhammad in both Mecca & Medina. Jerusalem is our 3rd holiest city because most Muslims believe the "Farthest/Furthest Mosque" that's mentioned in the Qur'an is located in Jerusalem. The current "Al Aqsa Mosque" is believed to be that mosque, though historically I doubt that's the case ("Al-Masjid Al Aqsa" translates into "The Farthest Mosque").
edit on 6-12-2017 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:34 PM
link   

a reply to: enlightenedservant

Apologies.

When did Clinton/Bush/Obama state that the US recognized Jerusalem as the capital of Israel?

Only bill clinton did because he was the one that decided this in the first place. The other two have so far only signed the waver delaying it. www.congress.gov...

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Because Bill Clinton did not do it nor did he, or any successor, institute the new law / change in status.

The law took effect 10 months after it was written regardless of the waver. You guys should really read the links I posted.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

LOL No, it's the same 6 month waiver that every US President has signed every 6 months since the 1995 law was passed. Here's a June article in "Times of Israel" about when he previously signed the 6 month waiver:

Trump signs waiver, won’t move US embassy to Jerusalem

ETA: The subtitle is literally "Disappointing Israeli government, US president holds off on election promise; decision delays any plan to relocate the mission from Tel Aviv for at least 6 months".
edit on 6-12-2017 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Because Bill Clinton did not do it nor did he, or any successor, institute the new law / change in status.

The law took effect 10 months after it was written regardless of the waver. You guys should really read the links I posted.

and yet Bill Clinton still did nothing was my point.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Your article is from June 2017. Here is the latest.

Trump To Move U.S. Embassy In Israel To Jerusalem. Here’s Why That Matters.

The Trump administration has announced a major policy change about the U.S. position on the status of Jerusalem, a decision that may have dramatic repercussions for the delicate peace process between Israelis and Palestinians.

Senior administration officials said Tuesday that President Donald Trump plans to officially recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital and will direct the State Department to begin preparing to relocate the U.S. Embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.

Like other presidential candidates before him, Trump repeatedly promised during his campaign to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and move the U.S. Embassy there. On Tuesday, the president reportedly confirmed his intention to do so in a call with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.

The move will likely placate the Israeli government and conservative allies in the U.S. but may meet with a furious response from Palestinians and complicate the already daunting task of brokering an Israeli-Palestinian peace accord.

Trump did not follow through on his promise during his first months in office, but facing a deadline this week, the president finally decided to move forward with the plan.

It was because of a deadline and to take time to locate a new site for the Embassy.
edit on 6-12-2017 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

link   
A lot of pissed off Muslims burning the American flag has made me turn the TV off.....

link   

originally posted by: Slanter

What did he do that was different? making a lot of noise before doing the same thing that every president for the past 20 years has done?

This seems more like a "Sound and fury signifying nothing" sort of situation. I'm more annoyed that I wasted time paying attention to this.

I wonder. . . . if it's "nothing" then why is every leftist and Hamas (sorry, redundant) losing their # over it?

My guess is because they didn't know that bill had done this 1995. Trump IS the first president to say it on tv though, at least that I can find but this was back in 1995. I am finding it hard to find ANY speeches given by bill in that time.
So to most of the people in the world trumps speech is the first they have heard about this and because it's trump saying it and claiming it's his idea well....always going to be a little trump hate in the mix. Once the news starts reporting on how this all started in 1995 I expect people to calm down.

In another comment here it was shown that obama did in fact say that jerusalem was the capital of israel on tv.
edit on 6-12-2017 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Slanter

What did he do that was different? making a lot of noise before doing the same thing that every president for the past 20 years has done?

This seems more like a "Sound and fury signifying nothing" sort of situation. I'm more annoyed that I wasted time paying attention to this.

I wonder. . . . if it's "nothing" then why is every leftist and Hamas (sorry, redundant) losing their # over it?

Because the Palestinians dont recognize Israeli control over all of Jerusalem. During the myriad of wars with Arab countries Israeli gained control of E. Jerusalem and annexed it. The Palestinians dot recognize that claim / annexation and view E. Jerusalem as the capital of a Palestinian state.

When they signed a peace treaty with Jordan, Jordan relinquished their claims on the West Bank / E. Jerusalem with the caveat it be used as territory for a Palestinian state.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785
If I read it right, someone was asking when Obama said Jerusalem was the capital of Israel? Not only did he say it was the capital of Israel, he said it should be undivided.

Well hell dude, thanks.
I should have spent my time looking for an obama speech instead of looking for bill clinton speeches from 1995...

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Did you overlook my last post? He faced a deadline in late July too and yet he signed this same 6 month waiver back then. I thought the underlying tone in this thread was to point out the difference in what politicians say on this issue and what they actually do on this issue? In other words, let's see what excuse/justification they give next June when they sign the next 6 month waiver.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Yes and that extension ran out this month, forcing Trump to either crap or get off the pot. Whats the point in acknowledging the change if you have nothing in place to support it? The waiver has to be signed or, essentially, we throw our current embassy and its status into diplomatic / international law turmoil by recognizing a new capital while maintaining the old location.

It is for legal breathing room and nothing more.

This is not like we are moving the location of our embassy from one area to another area in the same city, like we did in London England. This is moving cities due to a change in diplomatic recognition of the seat of power.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join